bte part 3 not on YouTube

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by jaybo1973, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Hi all

I was so disappointed when I saw bte on tv, I never bothered buying it. I only saw it that once. It was sort of the final straw with me after 7 and 8 also letting me down although I did buy them to complete the set.

Anyway, I thought i would take another look at it. I watched part 1 and 2 on youtube in my lunch break at work. Although I still am no fan of it, I would still like to see part 3. Oddly, it isn't on you tube. I wonder why? Quite a few uploads of first 2 parts

2. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

Well, you can get the 100% official and legal DVD for about a fiver now. I Know a lot of people who hated BtE. I also know a lot of people who loved it...I personally think it's worth a fiver if you didn't like it first time around to see if, with a lowered expectation, it has changed any in your eyes. I really do think there is a huge difference watching it without ad breaks and as a single whole episode...but thats just me...

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

It's quite common for the second or third part of an episode to be taken down for legal reasons on youtube (not just Red Dwarf, i noticed this whilst making my way through Only fools and horses eps a while back).

I'm fairly certain it'll be repeated on Dave soon enough though (in the form of 'The directors cut' again i'd imagine)

It's on itunes through if you don't want to wait that long, or as pointed out above you could find a pretty cheap copy of the dvd online, lots of seconed hand copies floating about too. Amazon.co.uk has a few copies for £3.49 right now for example...in fact it would seem it's cheaper to buy the dvd at the mo :?

Edit: or perhaps you just need to do a little more looking on youtube, ahem,..not that i'm saying that would the right or wrong thing to do, but it can be easy to miss things sometimes, that's all i'm saying.

4. jaybo1973

I'm not that tight that I wouldn't even spend a fiver on something, I got all the others on there day of release. I just didn't take to bte so never bothered with it. Just fancied watching something in my dinner break at work.

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It always baffles me why people think discussions of piracy on the official forum is a good idea.

6. jaybo1973

I didn't think watching something on you tube was piracy. You are not downloading anything. It is a show that has been broadcast on a freeview channel.

7. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Not much difference between streaming and downloading (both involve downloading, just one is temporary).

Do yourself a favour and buy the DVD. It is only £5.49.

8. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It was uploaded illegally by people who didn't have the rights to do so. If it's on Youtube, it's not being supported by the advertising that makes its broadcast on that freeview channel (or on a free on-demand service) viable.

Streaming is exactly the same as downloading in the eyes of the law. Otherwise, just about every major movie and TV show would be available online to stream on unauthorised sites, and nobody would be able to do anything about it...

But put simply - if Back to Earth is on Youtube, it wasn't Dave or Grant Naylor or anyone else who put it there. As such, this really isn't the place to complain about part of it being "missing".

9. jaybo1973

Well YouTube are hosting a lot of illegal stuff then.It was only something to pass the time while I was at work on my own. I may treat myself though. I shelled out 20 quid each for all the others on release.

10. jaybo1973

How does it stand with just watching clips of shows then?

11. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

In reality all content that has not been given permission to be uploaded to youtube is against the law.
    How many times have you gone to look a football clip and seen the 'removed due to sky etc' and these are like 15 second clip. As i say unless it's something you have made yourself or have permission to post or is just PD free then it is illegal.

12. ori-STUDFARM

I own all of the DVD's, but sometimes I might want to quickly look at a scene to get a reference or check I'm quoting a line correctly. And it's easier to stream the relevant scene than to pop the DVD in. But the couple of sites i knew of that were streaming Red Dwarf or linking to streamed Red Dwarf have been taken down...

....just wondering if this was a general thing or if there had been a big clamp down on illegal streaming of late?

13. jaybo1973

I always refer to youtube for clips even though I own the film. It's just easier. Admittedly, I have never watched a full episode of anything before. But for theme tunes, clips etc, it is a great resource. It must be The same with music videos then? Even though you can get any you desire

14. supercat

supercat Console Officer

With the exception of official youtube channels.

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

In most cases, yes, but as Supercat said there are some official youtube channels that put their own videos up. Although many artists are fairly happy about others putting their vids up too, for obvious reasons of exposure, but technically speaking a large portion of the music videos on youtube are illegally uploaded. But that's okay, the unwritten rule (of hypocracy) here on the forum often seems to be that it's all fine so long as it's not Red Dwarf related. :?

If i were to post a non official upload vid of Tongue Tied in the "What song are you listening now" thread, i'd imagine some here would see me as an evil disloyal pirate, lol.

Yet if i were to post a whole bunch of non Red Dwarf related music vids in a thread entitled "10 song shuffle" for example, such as this one;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEa6mUyJYok
    ...or this one;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8H5f25NlUQ
    Ah, they're gone...that would be a fine piece of respectable "piracy" indeed, apparantly.
    ...Naughty, naughty pirates we all are...aren't we?...or not?.. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

In all seriousness through, i sincerely apologize for the earlier comment i put in the "Edit" of my last post.

I could remove the comment, although it's invalid now anyway, as it seems the youtube upload i was (not so) subtly suggesting was still up, seems to have been taken down now...possibly coincidence, either that or someone is very much on the ball, so to speak.

SoundableObject wrote:
    It is only £3.49.

I honestly don't mean to be facetious or argumentitive here, but just out of genuine interest, are you, or is anyone else here against fans buying seconed hand *copies too? Would it be concidered slightly unethical or a bit disloyal perhaps, to buy one of the seconed hand copies for £3.49 instead?.

How about if the original copies of the RD dvd's were still around the £14.99/£19.99 price range? (depending on where you bought them from) would it be okay then? Was i wrong for buying a seconed hand copy of The riduculously over priced Bodysnatchers collection?

*when i say "copies" i'm talking purely genuine legal copies.

Anyway, i'm off to watch a few episodes of The Brittas Empire on youtube now ...are the uploads illegal? *shrugs*, and if that makes me a pirate...good, long live piracy. I suppose i could've just recorded every episode from the idiot box, which i guess would also make me a pirate, wouldn't it?, or not...what are video recorders even for?... could i legally lend the video tape to a friend?.

Anyway, i'm off to youtube for a spot of good honest pirating.
    [​IMG]

16. jaybo1973

Bear with my short responses, as smart as smart phones are, they are not great for lengthy posts in forums.

5.49 or 3.49, same difference, if it had of been up to scratch I would of got it on release for 20 quid. As it was, I never bothered watching it again. I just fancied it at work the other day. To answer a question though, I don't mind second hand DVDs.

You raise a good point about recording stuff from the telly. If I had of recorded bte and left it on my sky box until now, would I be a pirate? What is the difference then to watching it on youtube?

What about second hand DVDs then? The publishers make no money on this. Two or more parties are getting the DVD, yet they get paid once. Again, like youtube.

We are all pirates arrr! Why are pirates called pirates? Because they arrrr!

17. ori-STUDFARM

But doesn't a good second hand market help to keep demand up and the price up of the original unopened item?

Just out of interest, what are everyone's thoughts on piracy of items that you already own? Lets say you want to put all episodes of Red Dwarf onto your iPod. Legally, you would have to buy a digital copy of each episode. But I reckon most people would just rip it from the owned DVD or maybe even torrent the episodes that they already own a legal hard copy of...

I will also admit to illegally downloading some TV shows on a number of =occasions. And this is always for one of two reasons.

1. Sometimes it is to avoid spoilers when the US has an earlier air date than the UK. But these occasions are only for shows I absolutely love and really want to avoid spoilers...so much so that spoilers would actually stop me from watching the show. Lost was one of these... And, can I add, I nearly always end up watching the episode again when it airs in the UK.

2. Othertimes it is for shows I missed on the first initial airings. Things like Dexter, Smallville and Breaking Bad. I will confess to trying these shows first and then going out to buy the DVD's. Dvd's I would never have bothered with if not for the piracy option. Although, there have also been a few shows that I said "forget that" to and stopped downloading and swore to never buy a copy of...but I can't be blamed for smeg TV shows. Not my fault...

How wrong is that morally? (I know technically, it is illegal, just on the moral front. Where do you stand?)

18. jaybo1973

I think if you own a DVD/music CD, you can rip them on to your portable device. Dexter, Smallville; my other favouite shows. Smallville was a let down in the end :-(

19. ori-STUDFARM

Careful.....I'm only upto Season 6. And it's just started getting good again after that earlier "Season of the witch" dross!!:lol:

20. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

I think calling it hypocritical is grossly unfair.

At the end of the day, this is a Red Dwarf forum. The official Red Dwarf forum. People who actually make the programme read, if not post, on it. Therefore, it's hugely disrespectful - insulting, even - to talk about pirating their work so brazenly in front of them. And as a representative of GNP, it's part of my remit to protect their interests in matters like this.

It's not part of my remit to protect the interests of anyone else, however. And while this forum shouldn't outright encourage piracy, I don't think posting links to YouTube-hosted streams of individual songs (particularly since, in the examples you cited, that thread was people discussing songs on their MP3 player - by their very nature, therefore, they're songs that the people posting them do already own and were sharing in a one-off "listen to this" sense akin to playing it for someone who comes around your house - still not technically legal, but generally more accepted particularly as it essentially serves as an advert saying "this record is good, you should go and buy it") is in any way comparable to people flat out discussing the fact that they are wilfully getting out of paying for the product that this very website is here to promote and discuss.

And besides, they're not relevant to this discussion. This discussion is about Red Dwarf. This is a forum for Red Dwarf fans. And generally, "fans" are people who are supportive of a product.