Can someone list all the bottle episodes?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Jarvio, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Can someone list all the bottle episodes?

I know Marooned, Duct Soup, and Dear Dave are bottle episodes. Any others?

2. karnie

karnie Supply Officer

I'm not even sure "Dear Dave" qualifies as a bottle episode, as it had a guest star voice actor and multiple locations.

3. Tex Rimmer MUST return

Tex Rimmer MUST return Flight Co-Ordinator

umm Out of time?

4. Underdunn Turkey

Underdunn Turkey Console Officer

5. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

RD has never done a "bottle" episode in any meaningful sense of the term.

6. neilold king Wenceslas

neilold king Wenceslas Science Officer

What the hells a bottle episode?

7. Tex Rimmer MUST return

a bottle episode is produced inexpensively and restricted in scope to use as few non-regular cast members, effects, and sets as possible.

I still think out of time is the closest. I think the whole episode is on Starbug, no other characters or voice overs. And effects wise apart from a few splitscreens it is at a minimum. I cant think of any others, even me2 has a Tony Hawks voiceover.

8. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

I would beg to differ, Marooned for example fits the criteria.

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

On the surface, maybe, but not from a production point of view. When you're only making six episodes a series, it's not really a necessary thing to do in the way it often is in US shows.

10. Tex Rimmer MUST return

Also every time I try and think of something that would fit this criteria in Red Dwarf I can usually think of a fancy effect that blows that theory. Marooned being all the episode centric model shots for Star Bug

11. Gluben

Gluben Second Technician

Technically, no, there hasn't been a true bottle episode.

Marooned was quite close in that Lister and Rimmer were in a single room for the majority of the episode, but there is still the bit before they crash, plus shots of Cat and Kryten in between searching the ice planet.

Similarly, Me2, White Hole and Dear Dave were largely set on board Red Dwarf, but still had guest stars as voiceovers.

Demons and Angels, Out of Time and Duct Soup all had only the regular cast, but were never trapped in the one location.

Actually, the closest we really got was the Children in Need sketch!

To be a true bottle episode, you'd need Lister, Rimmer, Cat and Kryten (and maybe Holly and/or Kochanski) stuck in a single room for half an hour with no additional voiceovers, stock footage of other actors/celebrities or shots of the ship itself.

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The reason why I don't think Red Dwarf has "bottle" episodes is that the term implies something that's a break from the usual format. It comes originally from Star Trek (full phrase "ship in a bottle"), where instead of going off and having big expensive adventures, the episode would be set within the confines of the ship, featuring just the main cast.

But in Red Dwarf... well, the entire first series (and most of the second) is set within the confines of the ship, featuring just the main cast! And so are several episodes in the series after that! So it can hardly be said to be an unusual occurrence, or something that's done for specific production reasons: it's a natural part of the show's most basic elemental format!

13. neilold king Wenceslas

neilold king Wenceslas Science Officer

thanks cloud. i know it by the old name for that style of comedy 'two in a room'. Galton and simpson were masters of this, what with Hancock and Steptoe and son.