Can someone please torrent this

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by bar10dr, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Cerianna

Cerianna Third Technician

Keir, you're failing to consider the reality that these episodes will be immediately available online. We live in a immediate, instantly connected global community...at least online. Your arguements about the physical world vs. the online world simply compares apples to oranges. Media at large seems to do the same. If you had a way to instantly watch the new episodes of House legally, online, this minute by paying a fee, wouldn't you? (I love House too, btw.) The quality would certainly be better if it was available for a fee, and it certainly would be easier than tracking it down for free online. I have said, and will reiterate that I would do the same if there were a way to do so for Red Dwarf. Do I lack patience? Sure..I must commend you there. However, since I will be buying the DVD as soon as it is released, I don't see the need to torture myself by waiting for the next few months when I can just see it tonight. (And before anyone asks, yes, I do own all 8 series on DVD..so i'm not just blowing smoke when I say I will be buying Back to Earth ASAP)

2. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

Everyone has a choice. But if the choice is to download them, it isn't the right choice. And there is no reasoning to provide an excuse. You could blame the company for not making it available all over the world at once. But the cost would have cost extortionist, you have to factor this in. You want more Episodes of Red Dwarf? But you're willing to bite the hand that feeds the fans if you download it. Wait and buy the DVD. Put something back into it, instead of taking because you can.

3. richisawesome

richisawesome Second Technician

Ah right, misread it then. Thought it seemed a bit weird.

4. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

Probably not. I wouldn't necessarily pay a fee now to see something now that I can see for free in two months' time.

And there you admit it. You don't want to torture yourself. You don't have the patience. Basically you want it now therefore you'll find a way to get it rather than wait.

I don't buy into your "it'll be online anyway" apples/oranges argument either. The fact that some people behave illegally is no excuse to do so yourself.

5. Cerianna

Of course I admit it. Why else would I look for it tonight?
    I'm afraid we're going to just have to agree to disagree here. If I insisted on downloading a copy in order to never buy the DVD, then I see a problem. Otherwise, I don't. If I could get my hot little hands on the DVD today, or a fee-based online version, you betcha i'd MUCH rather do that.

6. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

Looks like there's a lot of the old guard left I see?

Listen, the future will not comply to your views of the world, somehow, somewhere in the past, things changed, and it's not going to to return to that old way.

The future is instant, its electronic, its digital, the old days of IP is over; a new dawn is coming.

Some guys here say that they dibble some in the industry themselves and that they understand why its so bitter to have work 'stolen', my guess none of your work is out there for a good reason, not to insult but its true, right?
    Just look at top gear who officially supports torrenting of their shows, they're huge and its their rabid fans that got them where they are now, from Russia to Australia, torrents have a part of that success.

Listen, how is it stealing when they loose nothing from it?

Now if the show was being showed over here, then I'd understand it. The fact IS, that those who torrent are those who HAVE NO ACCESS TO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE, reputation is built and the EFFECT is that more people will buy the DVD's.

What do you gain by not letting us torrent it? Nothing, you've made no money on that what-so-ever.

So how can you say its stealing, when the effect of the action, is not costing you a single pound, actually its helping you earn money.

Welcome to the future, this will not suddenly change and go away, it will get bigger and bigger until the industry finally adapts to the new technology.
    Meanwhile you can sue and destroy your potential customers lives, it will not work, all it does is make the transaction more hard for you and postpone the inevitable.

And the people who scour YouTube in order to report content just makes me laugh, you think you're helping but what you're doing is making sure Red Dwarf has a smaller audience, basically stealing potential sales from Dave...

Adopt or be overrun, its the way the world works.

7. RohedinRD

RohedinRD Skutter

Better solution: http://www.tvcatchup.com/channel/14/

It's a live stream of Dave. It's only for UK citizens though, but you might be able to access it via a proxy.

8. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

You want illegal download? Why don't you come to me? I can get it much cheaper.

9. Cerianna

Therein lies the problem. UK only. If they could open it to the world (even on a limited scale), i'd sign up so fast it would make heads spin. Would a proxy help if you couldn't even get an account, not being a UK citizen?

10. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

You sound like a grumpy grandfather going on about how it used to be and how things used to be so much better.

11. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

The point is why wait?

The technology is here now in order for people to see what they want, when they want, peoples schedule now is also more busy.

The only thing stopping it from happening is the industry itself.

12. lob337

lob337 Third Technician

hmmm and i of course assume most of these 'holy than thou' people have never downloaded torrents of 24/lost/heroes etc .. hmmm yeh. funny when the shoes on the other foot.

13. Awooga

Awooga Third Technician

Wow. Just wow. Illegally downloading the episodes is not OK, however you try to spin it. It's staggering to see people openly encouraging that sort of thing on the official website no less. Talk about a kick in the teeth to the guys who made it happen.

If you think that putting it on filesharing sites and YouTube is going to be beneficial in the long run, that's an opinion; it's not your call to make! That decision is down to whoever owns the rights to the show (so I guess Dave/GNP) and anyone putting it online without their permission is infringing the copyright.

It's inevitable that some people will be downloading it - some of them may then buy the DVD, a lot won't, but that's irrelevant. I know I'm new here but if you are going to download it, go do it quietly and don't flaunt your total disregard for the copyright on the site of the guys that made it. That's just so rude and disrespectful.

14. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

Rude? I'd think it was pretty flattering knowing so many people over the entire globe love their work.
    And you'd be surprised how many people are torrenting these days.

If I had a option to pay to watch I'd do it offcourse, just saying..

15. Awooga

Awooga Third Technician

I dunno about you but when people steal my stuff, I tend not to take it as a compliment... :roll:

16. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

I'm not sure on the legality of all this, (tv shows oposed to cinema and DVD) I mean this is a show broadcast on tv where anyone can record it. Maybe it's illegal to view it if you've not got Dave?, but personally I don't blame anyone who lives outside the uk and they go looking for it online because they can't wait. To everyone in the UK, if you had to wait, would you be able to do it? I don't think I could wait 2 months just to see the show when thousands of people can see it free anyway. I don't recall seeing too many complaints from people when the 5 minute preview was uploaded despite the fact that only the people at the london event were "entitled" to see it....

If these were only available on DVD and someone ripped it or a film at the cinema where you have to pay for it, that's a bit different, but these shows are airing for anyone to record. Some interesting thoughts - If I lent a friend who doesn't have Dave my recorded copy, is that wrong? I myself will be recording these on my DVD recorder and still buying the DVD when it's released. However cos my DVD recorder no longer records to dvd discs, the only way I can watch the shows in my room is either to bring the recorder up or simply download the show from some dodgy site. Is that wrong or does it even matter considering I already own it?

Don't get me wrong I am all for protecting the creators and performers rights, but some people genuinely don't want to screw anyone over, they just want to see the show because they're very big fans (and some of these people would buy the DVD even if they thought the show was bad - I know I would, just to complete my set)

Yeah I know it may be illegal, but I'm not gonna automatically brand anyone who goes looking for it online as a stopgap til the DVD comes out, the scum of the universe. Remember Red Dwarf is airing for FREE.... just not to everyone. We in the UK are lucky bastards! I'm not in any way condoning UPLOADING these shows (I could never do that myself) but I'm also not condemming people who WATCH them because it's their only option.

I do agree though, it's a bit nuts to advertise downloading the shows on the official site.

EDIT: I sort of see a point of why being annoyed with people downloading shows is bad. Mainly because if you live in a country that isn't showing the show, that means they haven't bought the shows, so they haven't earned money for that region. I think if anyone outside the UK downloads these shows they should make a promise to buy the DVD when it's out even if the hate the shows, thus the makers are recouping the costs in that region. But I still refuse to flat-out demonise people as some people really will buy the dvd and not cheat anyone.

17. bar10dr

bar10dr Third Technician

That's probably because no one wants to steal your stuff.

18. Cerianna

Here's another idea...if Series I is now available on iTunes, how quickly could they release BTE? If it could happen in the next few days? Just after Dave gets the weekend to show it? Or even better, just limit the iTunes release to non-UK citizens until after the Easter weekend so Dave can't complain about lost revenue? There are so many options this day and age to make things instant (or nearly so) and legal...then your arguments about those of us overseas wanting to see the episodes tonight (and resorting to youtube or torrents and the like to do so) would have more teeth.

Also, I want to point out that it is not my intention to be rude or disrespectful. Those of us overseas are trying to bring up real issues and solutions here. None of us have stated that we're just going to go download the episodes for free and "bite the hand that feeds us" by not buying the DVD, thank-you-very-much. In fact, i've gone out of my way to repeatedly point out that if I had a way to view the episodes tonight by not resorting to such measures, that I would MUCH PREFER TO DO SO.

I wonder how much of this argument is generationally-based (for lack of a better term)? My formative years were largely spent in the internet age (the dawn of it to be sure, but the internet age nonetheless).

19. Mallen2X4B

Mallen2X4B Third Technician

Im a little curious as to if Mr E Smeg works for Dave or this website...He seems a little too angry over people talking about wanting to watch the episode. It seems silly for people like me to have to wait months before we get to see the episodes when this wonderful thing called the internet has done such wonders for marketing.
    I definitely will be purchasing the discs once they come out. Hell, I own all the others on VHS and DVD so...Its pretty obvious anyone on this site are big fans so I dont think you need to get your anger and hate on Mr.
    ;-)

20. Mallen2X4B

Mallen2X4B Third Technician

I am a little curious as to Mr E Smeg possition on this. Do you work for Dave or this web site? I live in Canada and do not see why I should have to wait months to see the episodes of my most favorite show of all time.
    I will be buying the discs when they come out. Hell, I own all the others on VHS and DVD. I think anyone on this site are obviously huge fans and there will be no loss of sales from us Mr.
    ;-)