RDXI Can we speculate about 'Can of Worms'?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by bedfordfalls, Oct 16, 2016.

1. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

With only one episode left, I'm presuming it's okay to start speculating about it (as we did with The Beginning) since there are quite a few scenes in the trailers intro credits that we now know must be from this episode.

So far we have:

The officially released synopsis: Cat takes time off from being in love with himself to fall head over heels in love with a lady Cat with a big secret.

The "life signs" segment of the officially released series trailer. So we can presume that the episode starts with the crew exploring a derelict.

What seems to be a female cat (although crucially we don't see a face) sauntering away from a love-struck Cat.

Lister in rubber gloves handling a wobbly pineapple

The crew operating on someone

Lister shooting Cat and him exploding into green goop!

Cat with a strange haircut, blasting away at something with twin zappers

Also we have the title which traditionally refers to A complex, troublesome situation arising when a decision or action produces considerable subsequent problems. Although in Red Dwarf's universe it could even have a more literal meaning.

I'm really intrigued by this episode and the choice to make it the season closer. I'm glad it's not simply 'Identity Within 2.0'

I'm guessing that the 'lady cat' is going to turn out to be something quite different and that we might see the borrowing of yet another earlier concept for a fresh take here.

When I think of 'worms' related to cats I also think of parasites. Are the worms in question here somehow controlling Cat. Is it Cat that Lister is shooting in the intro credits?

Lots to think about and discuss. I'm presuming it is okay to do so provided everybody sticks to the no spoilers policy.

Remember last time when many of us were quite certain that Hoguey the Roguey was a simulant Captain Hollister? :lol:

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It is also safe to assume that this is the episode with the Doctor Who robot that shoots at lister!

3. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I called it from the start that Cat shooting guns whilst wearing pink during the intro montage, was likely going to be from this episode. lol This has been a strong Series for Cat overall, I just hope this last one is the classic the character deserves to have. :-)

4. bedfordfalls

Agree. Samsara aside where they made him outright stupid, Cat has been used to perfection this series. I hope that the episode focusing on him won't overplay him too much. He is best used sparingly to deliver cutting zingers. I'm not fond of him when they just make him a generic dumb character.

5. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Dunno about that he was also pretty dumb in Give and Take since he believes kryten a little to quickly when told he didn't have kidneys which was likely played on by the fact he was stupid.

its safe to say being generic dumb is a big comedic trait of the cat now.

I am abit nervous about Can of Worms because i fear that as you say he is better sparely and not as main focus because it involves humanizing the cat abit and i fear he will lose some of his character while trying to adjust him to certain depth plots.

Another thing about the cat that tends to grind on me a little tiny bit in modern dwarf is his OOOOWWWWW'ing, i get that its trying to be like series 1 and 2 cat but it does set the difference between this cat and series 3-6 cat where he was the cool character who stood in a room like he own it and threw out zingers while now he is more or less the silly character who stands in the room and throws out zingers

6. Angelic_Storm

Absolutely agree! I adore the "Archimedes" scenes in Samsara, I laugh every time I see it now. :-)

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Its probably easy to assume she isn't really a cat lady and is actually something else

8. AJ Smeggnog

AJ Smeggnog Second Technician

Those two moments in the opening titles made me think they were dealing with a Polymorph, but come to think of it, I think you may well be right in that there's more to the epidode's title Can of Worms...

I'm looking forward to it though. Can't wait to finally see a Cat-centric episode! It's been long overdue.

9. Angelic_Storm

This series is probably already, the strongest where Cat is concerned. Im just hoping the actual Cat-centric episode doesn't undo what up to now, has been a great series for our beloved feline-sapian. There's so much that can go wrong with this, giving the episode's premise. But Krysis was a pleasant surprise after my apprehension regarding it's premise beforehand, so Im hoping similar for Can Of Worms, but even better hopefully!

10. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

I know no facts but i think i have worked out 1 spoiler..... I wont say unless asked.... But if you look at the imdb for red dwarf 11 then i think there is one there in the cast list

11. bedfordfalls

Fair to assume that this is the "lady" in question?

https://youtu.be/C27xu5dqCLk?t=22

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

There is also a picture of her in SFX magazing but yeah

i am kinda predicting the droid in the trailer is actually hunting down the what appears to be cat lady before the dwarfers get involved.

The IMDB listing convinces me even more so.

13. mtullock

Re the imdb listing......isnt there a familiarity there?... A sense of de ja vu?

14. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Oh, that's very interesting...

However, that could also just be a mistake (contributions are made by the community). There's actually two "familiarities" there. A double sense of de ja vu...

15. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

One thing I think is almost certain, Danny Jon-Jules plays more than one part. I reckon there IS a real lady Cat and our boy loses his virginity to her.

I reckon the boys do indeed rescue her from some form of captor. The 'worms' thing unfortunately sounds quite literal, what with her being a cat and the 'operation' scene.

Looking forward to it.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Chances are she isn't a real cat lady since the synopsis did say she had a "secret" and looking at the opening credits sequence you do get the idea some weird stuff is going to go down with the cat.

I am abit nervous of where doug is going to go with it but i almost certain she isn't gonna be an actual cat lady.

17. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Going with this theory, I feel like we're getting close here.

I suspect DJJ. as you say, plays two parts. Cat, as usual, and some sort of monster that looks like Cat (which in the intro we see get exploded to green goo and later shooting dual guns). I do wonder whether this female cat is the aforementioned monster who has the ability to take on other forms. That makes it sound a little bit like the Polymorph but I doubt it's that. It could also be a pleasure GELF but again, I doubt it's that as I'm not sure where they could take that after Camille.

Incidentally I just paused the opener, and the person that is being operated on is Cat (or a character that looks like Cat played by DJJ at least).

I'm looking forward to this. After episodes like Give and Take, and the quality of most series closers, I'm confident that Doug will end this series on a high and there seems to be enough footage left from the trailers and other promotional material to suggest this one could be an instant classic.

18. mtullock

Well spotted! Never saw the other one! Veey harmonious lol

19. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I actually reckon it could be more than 2 characters played by DJJ, but we shall see.

20. bedfordfalls

That would be a fantastic and unexpected bookend to the series but isn't one of those characters dead already?

I also get the feeling that the dwarfers save the female cat from the Mercenoid not realising she's a far more dangerous entity.

Has Doug been rewatching The Thing this series or what?