Canaries

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by willager, Sep 16, 2016.

1. willager

willager Skutter

First time poster (excited for the new season!)

I was re-watchimg season 3 yesterday when during the episode "bodyswap" Rimmer tells Lister that he'll use a canary to check that it's safe to enter their bunk due to Listers bowels

In season 8 "cassandra" Lister signs them up for the canaries because he didn't know what they were despite Rimmer mentioning it before

Just an interesting thought i had,

Thanks

2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Lister got far stupider during series VIII, it almost seems like he suffered from severe brain damage during Starbug's crash in Back in the Red part 1!

3. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

The two lines are referring to two different things, though.

Lister knows what a canary (the bird) is. Canaries are known for two things: singing, and being used to judge dangerous situations. The entire gag in Cassandra is that Lister thinks the group he's signed them up for is named after the bird because they do the former, not the latter.

4. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

They also have bouts of intelligence and stupidity to fit the plot to be fair. One week they wont know who Columbus was then the next some know all about JFK....

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

But Lister has never been stupider then he was in series VIII, so much so at times it seems like his mentally handicapped at times. When I think of series VIII lister I remember nonsense like the "bucket and spade", or that terrible "the movers and the shakers" joke. Yes in the past his lack of education seems pretty inconsistent, but in series VIII he is a full blown moron!

6. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Rimmer's varying opinions and levels of knowledge on Jesus always bothered me in the same way. Not only does he flit from irreverence to admiration of religion his actual upbringing and family history changes too, the worst offender being in Lemons where all the way through that episode I was like "eh?"

Chalk it up to the writers just forgetting what characters have already said.

Series VIII felt so weird. I remember being so frustrated with it at the time and even now I cringe through most of it. All of the characters lose every ounce of character development and regress into morons. It's not just Rimmer that gets annoyingly reset.