Changes you would like to see for RD XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Nov 18, 2012.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I know it hasn't been announced but since when has it stopped us before.

What changes or improvements would you like to see for series 11?

Id like to see slightly more of a lonely universe again and keep gelfs and sims to a min and less despensin machines and medi bots and for the crew to have to cope with their own resourcefullness :-), that and even less past call backs :-)

Hpdc.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

After watching the DVD documentary (which I've created a separate topic to discuss) the main thing I'd like to see is a lot more professionalism from UKTV when it comes to allocating budget, shooting schedules and listening to Doug Naylor instead of going over his head to create ultimately problematic scenarios that are then left for Doug himself to fix with his own money, time and ingenuity.

In fact that's the second thing I'd like to see for series XI: Doug Naylor not having to do almost everything single handedly. Having to write two new episodes in 10 days because locations practically foisted on Naylor suddenly became unavailable when he is also expected to direct everything and generally oversee the project is too much responsibility for one man, especially when he is the sole creative output for the show's actual content.

3. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Return of Rob Grant

4. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

As I've not seen the DVD documentary yet, I would broadly say more of the same really. I thought on the whole Series X was pretty solid, the only things that I'd change are that I'd like to have an actual resolution to the Series VIII cliffhanger. I know it's not strictly needed, I know that we're never likely to get more than we got in The Beginning, but it's something I'd like to see.

Something else I know is never likely to happen, but I'd rather the whole "Lister is his own dad" thing got dropped. I was never keen on it when it first cropped up in Series VII and I was quite disappointed to see it return in Fathers and Suns.

Pretty minor things overall, but if we can get another series about the standard of X and can keep away from the pantomime-y slapstick of VIII, I'll be more than happy.

5. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

Pretty minor thing, but I'd prefer the wardrobe and makeup from BTE...I dunno, I didn't like the costuming for RDX.

It's a minor bugbear.

6. ghastly98

ghastly98 First Technician

For the last time, Simmy. Rob left of his own free will. No one made him. He's never coming back. Stop harping.

7. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I don't really mind this storyline, but I would like some clarification that Lister's not inbred or something (through some quirk in his paternal DNA or something). I don't like the idea of Lister being inbred.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

in general id rather doug didn't keep going back to an idea so id also hope it was left alone now

9. mccollough

mccollough First Technician

I don't think it should be visited again, except in maybe passing comment. Like it or not its a part of red dwarf history! I don't imagine we'll have another episode centered on it though, Fathers and Suns just covered the repercussions of being your own father, something that hadn't been seen so far :-)

10. CharlieTeague

CharlieTeague First Technician

I'd prefer 8 episodes instead of 6, because series X felt like it went by too quickly. In terms of production values I would like them to bring back virtual sets, not to the extent used in Back to Earth but just so that we get a sense of scale for when the guys are walking around larger parts of the ship. I also wish they would bring Holly back played by Hattie Hayridge.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

You say that but all the Rimmer episodes doug has wrote this series have turned out to be Rimmer finds out someone in his family ain't the person he thought they were storys

so really doug doesn't leave ideas alone very easy, as you can tell with what seemed like a fathers story arc through out series X

12. bedfordfalls

Thankfully Doug reveals what happened at the end of series 8 at the end of the documentary.

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

You cruelly taunt me sir! That will have to wait till I get paid, which is over a week away now.

Maybe I can persuade the family we don't need to buy food and just eat the dog instead...

14. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

Err, I don't recall saying Rob didn't leave of his own free will or that someone made him leave. This thread is called "Changes you would like to see for RD XI". For me the return of Rob Grant is a change I would want for series RD XI, therefore me saying it is valid & is hardly an example of me "harping"!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x:x:x:x:x:x:x

15. bedfordfalls

I wouldn't mind seeing Rob return, if only to see the reaction from people if it then still failed to live up to the standards of series 1-6.

Personally I don't think it matters what writers are brought in. I don't expect the show to ever hit that peak again, not because this means I think Red Dwarf is doomed to be awful (I don'tm as I enjoyed much of series X) but just because I think 1-6 is so good and so original for its time it's simply too much to ask of anyone to match or best that when the show is in its 25th year.

I can't think of any TV show that's as consistently good after such a long time period.

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

it would still be better then what we had so far and why? because 2 people throwing in ideas is better then 1 person, and doug perhaps does need someone to say no i think we can do better then that

which i believe it was said on one of the Dvds that rob was the stubborn one

but chances of him returning are incredibly unlikely

17. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

I think we all want to see Rob Grant back. Since he was such a massive part of Red Dwarf for so long, it's natural to feel as though he belongs. But as of series X, I'm happy to say I no longer feel that Rob is missing, or that the show needs him. It would be really nice to end or continue the show with the gestalt entity reformed, but that may be asking for one miracle too many after all the good luck we've had lately.

For series XI I can think of only a few changes, but lots of things I would love to be included. A solid happy or sad ending, Kochanski in the last 2 shows, Holly preferably as played by Hattie in a few shows, one last 'Kryten episode' like The Last Day, Camille, DNA, etc.

The actual changes I'd suggest for XI are all pretty minor and all just personal taste. I'd like a few less modern-day references (e.g. the eBay line didn't sit well with me), I'd like the 'JMC onboard computer' to be explained more clearly or removed, I'd like fewer guest appearances. And perhaps most, I'd like a little more drama. I dont know if it's is just me (I'm the one person on Earth who really likes VII) but I feel that Trojan, The Beginning, Dear Dave and especially Lemons could have been better with some heavier dramatic moments. But as I said, I am the VII lunatic, so.

18. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

However I like it when it's used properly. He can bring back moments that happened in the past to help the process of character/plot development.

A lot like he went back and did lister is his own dad, ok, not the greatest story/idea for listers background probably, however the consequences in fathers and suns, the scene where lister speaks to himself as his own dad is hilarious.

Going forward, I'd prefer to see more, just more, of whatever doug has to give, because its all been rather top notch.

19. bedfordfalls

There kind of are two people throwing in ideas though...in fact three.

Andrew Ellard mentions a couple of ideas that were his on the DVD doc and Doug credits listening to his son as the reason for omitting a certain scene from Dear Dave (although personally I think that was the wrong call, but that's just me).

It's not the same as having two writers and I don't think either man would pretend it is, but neither is it correct to say that Doug doesn't take any advice. He listens to pretty much everyone around him. He dropped the entire Rimmer/Data Doctor scene from Trojan on the basis that the audience didn't laugh at one particular joke.

When you see the documentary you really get a sense of the huge amount of rewriting Doug does based on feedback.

20. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I don't understand how you mean re-writing.
    So doug has his script and they go do it in front of the audience and if it gets no laughs then doug goes and re-writes it on the spot? Or re-writes it and they just record it another time? What happens?