Changes you would like to see for RD XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Less slapstick humour, the best gags in RDX for me were the one liners not the sight humour. But that's just me, I've always preferred "speaking" gags to "visual" humour :-)

2. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

This is not so much a change I'd like to see in the basic premise or style of the series, but rather a specific location on aboard the ship I'd love to see realised on film one day.

After hearing about during certain series of RD (including the playing of mini-golf during a series X episode) and the parts including in the novels, I think it would be be nice to finally get to see the ship's botanical gardens.

Where to shoot it? Well my suggestion would be The Eden Project in Cornwall. Perhaps this place could even be used for the domes seen on other planets and moons too - although how viable that would be, location and finance wise may be another matter entirely of course.

But yeah, I've always thought those geodesic domes up at The Eden Project, and the interior night lighting would, in theory be perfect for shooting the Red Dwarf botanical gardens....possibly..:-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

This is a great suggestion and location. With what we've learned about Rimmer's background it would also make perfect sense now...plus I'm sure Doug is a Silent Running fan!

4. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

That sounds good to me too, largely because I also love Silent Running - but I would like it to not be TOO pretty. A better location would be... a slightly rubbish gardens!

On a related note, I'd really love if RD XI could show us the Observation Dome one last time, just for old time's sake. Maybe reunite with Kochanski there, or bring Kryten there... you know, for the sake of it.

Esperanto signs would be good too!

5. jaykhunter

jaykhunter Second Technician

Changes for RD XI:
    - I would love the return of Rob Grant (it's still a little sad that two talented writers and friends don't do their most successful show together anymore)
    - 8 Episodes per series
    - Villains to be serious and not comedy sci-fi jocks (simulant Crawford)
    - Return of Norman lovett (and his cold opens in space)
    - location shoots
    - another ace Rimmer/Duane Dibbley episode
    - classic pettiness/crew making fun of each other (morale meeting, launch scouter; that kind of stuff)

To be honest I was really happy with season X apart from the villains being far too comical. Just having SXI would be great.

6. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'll definitely agree with you on these two points. The villains - Sim Crawford, Pree and the Simulants - were a bit too comic. I'd love something like the Self-Loathing Monster from Terrorform (who was just purely menacing, but in such a funny situation, especially with his "Is it my turn now?" line) or the Inquisitor. I'm obviously not asking for them to reappear - they've been done away with - but villains who are genuinely menacing. Though I do wonder if you can class Pree in this category...

Pettiness - yes indeed. That was always one of the great things about Red Dwarf - that they'd make a situation go on longer than you think it should (for instance, the "launch scouter" could have happened instantly) with their bickering. I still think that they should have opened up the "holding Jesus' penis" scene with Rimmer trying to fob it back off on Lister, or by saying "it's Jesus, it's not like he uses the bloody thing", leading to a bit of bickering as they argue whether Jesus actually needs to have his penis saved (there's something I never thought I'd type) and who should do the holding.

7. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes, I think Pree was fine as she was, but more menace from the simulant type characters would be good. I found the simulants in The Beginning rather too camp... although they did have a scene which was very funny albeit very dark and twisted. Not that there isn't place for those camp panto type villains. Maybe it's just something to get used to, but yes, playing things a bit straighter would be welcome.

8. Freeborn

Indeed :-) Speaking of which I wonder what kind of gardener "Dungo" was? - or more to the point what kind of gardener did Rimmer see him as?

Arnie's initial reaction seemed to be that the chap was not so bright, but this could quite possibly just be his inner (learned) snobbery of course.

Not that his silly notion of "you are your job" actually holds any genuine merit in the real world, but perhaps Dungo's basic gardening duties entailed little more than a bit of weeding and cutting the grass, to which Rimmer may see as being below his own status for whatever silly reason. Or perhaps he was the landscape gardener, garden designer - a general all 'round horticulturalist. Perhaps it was he who designed Rimmer's mum's garden, of which, as seen in Dimension Jump is actually pretty well designed and well kept...yes I really am geeky enough to have gone back to check. :-)

Either way I'm sure we can all guess which version Rimmer will quite possibly choose to believe. I could imagine Rimmer getting into a bit of horticultural activity at some point in the future. And indeed the botanic gardens would be the ideal location for that. It could be a great location for an entire episode too, if well written of course.

As for Silent Running, I haven't actually seen it personally. I just had a little read of the wikipedia page though, it sounds like an interesting film. I may have to check it out. :-)

9. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Supply Officer

Yes really want Norm back, and the series 1 2 Holly intros.

10. Madwolf

Madwolf Catering Officer

I'd like the BBC to eat humble pie and broadcast after Dave :-D

11. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

I'd LOVE to see the BBC eat humble pie :-D

(secretly hoping Dave snap up other BBC shows they won't make anymore as well :-))

12. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

Yeah it would just feel better being back on bbc 2 and after the success of x maybe they willl do it???

13. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

I actuall prefer having it on Dave. Not just because they seem to give it special treatment, it being essentially their only show, but more because I like feeling a little bit renegade! It's somehow, ridiculously, 'cooler' to be a fan of a show that goes out only on a digital comedy channel due to fanbase demand than to just be a fan of a boring old long-running BBC show! I feel a little bit more underground these days. xD

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I actually think it'd be a bit rubbish on the BBC now. I think too many people would try and get involved and not give the show as much creative freedom as it needs. The budget and viewing figures may be better but it would probably be a lot more controlled. Even though it was a rubbish joke, I can imagine stuff like the "chinese whispers" from Fathers & Suns being gotten rid of. Hell, I have heard that repeats (I assume on Dave though) of one episode have disposed of the black/white card conversation. Imagine that - a "politically correct" Red Dwarf.

That said, I haven't seen a comedy on the BBC in years. Tried watching The Royle Family once, as well as The Office, but found it utterly boring. Same with My Family. It seems comedy on the BBC largely died in the 90's with Bottom, Blackadder, Men Behaving Badly (originally an ITV show) and finally, yes, Red Dwarf (thank you Dave for resurrecting it).

15. Freeborn

Hmm, interesting. May I ask what your definition of the term "Politically Correct" is?

Personally I think Red Dwarf has always been "politically correct"...thankfully (but hey, I'm guessing that my understanding of the term may differ somewhat from yours...or perhaps not). The show has never jumped on the "ooh look how offensive we can be!" bandwagon - The bandwagon that seems to plague a lot of BBC sitcoms nowadays, as well as many modern day stand up comedians and certain US imports such as American Dad and other such crap.

Unfortunately it seems to be fashionable to be as offensive as possible nowadays. Modern comedy shows such as The Inbetweeners, Little Britain and Peep Show make the likes of the young ones, men behaving badly and Blackadder look extremely tame. But it would seem that this "lets be crude and offensive for the sake of being crude and offensive" trend does seem to represent what many comedy fans want nowadays, especially the "Anti-PC" brigade..

It just seems to me that "the more shocking and offensive the better" is the name of the game these days. :roll:

16. TouchT1701

TouchT1701 Third Technician

~~~ MORE!!! ~~~ 8)
    I do agree about less goofy villians tho. We need somebody to be straight men about the Dwarf!
    By the way, anyone having illusions or desires to have Rob come back should watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njugoYqKL6o&feature=channel&list=UL :shock: You can see the pain might be insurmountable, even if he's on relatively good terms with Doug.

17. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

We need Rob Grant back he's just sat on his arse at moment doing nothing, it would be really good for him to get active again. Both writers again working together is what it needs.:-(

18. Seymour_Clufley

Seymour_Clufley First Technician

Some changes I'd like to see for RD XI...

Substance. Since Rob Grant left, the show has increasingly shied away from depth, substance, contemplation, etc.

Good characterisation. Since Rob Grant left, the characters have been much less complex and interesting. The only one who has gained from RDX is Cat, and I will not deny that Naylor (and Danny John-Jules) really did well there.

Rob Grant. Since he left, the show has simply never been as good as before. Doug Naylor is a very talented writer but there are severe shortcomings in his writing which Grant ably solved.

Better acting. While Kryten and Cat have been excellently-played in this series, Lister and Rimmer have been really quite bad. I'll get to Rimmer in a minute, but someone should tell Craig Charles that, when he's playing Lister, he is not in Coronation Street. I frequently felt that he was playing it as a stereotypical "Northern soap" character; the most egregious instance being in Trojan when he said "I'll play along with your little charade" etc. But we shouldn't entirely blame him, because his acting style is clearly informed by the writing; can anyone imagine his Stirmaster outburst in S1-5? No. Lister was a well-rounded character in those days, not a cartoon.

Fix Rimmer. In spite of having two episodes centred on him in RDX, I think he is definitely the character that has been most damaged by this series. Barrie's performance has sometimes been appalling ("why couldn't I have passed my damned. Astro. Navs?!") and Naylor's writing of him has been dreadful. A case in point would be the ending which everyone seems to be raving about: now that Rimmer is on an even keel with Lister, where is the comedy going to come from in subsequent series? I can guess: the problem Naylor has created will be completely glossed over and ignored.

Better jokes. Frankly, I found this series very immature and most of the jokes I had to force myself to laugh at. It was as if the entire thing was aimed at a less intelligent audience than were S1-5.

In summary, I would want a reverse from RDX back to S5 in terms of humour, acting and writing. RDX is, in my humble opinion, a travesty compared to S5. I don't go with these people who say "Red Dwarf has moved on, daddy-o, get with the times, etc." because I think that is simply a jerky way of admitting that the best times are long passed, coupled with the delusion that the show has gained something from "changing" (though what that gain is, is never specified).

I would also say that I am astonished at how easily pleased some fans appear to be. They have been served up a series of bad jokes, bad characterisations and (frequently) bad performances, and their response seems to be a euphoric "yay! The Dwarf is back!" almost as if just hearing the word "smeg" elicits a Pavlov's Dogs-like reaction in the sufferer. Personally, I need more than a black leather jacket, an H badge and a red mining ship before I feel that we are back in the realms of writing genius that gave us The Inquisitor, Holoship and Back to Reality. If the sickeningly fawning way in which the people speak about Doug Naylor in the Dwarfcasts is anything to go by, I suspect his complacency relates at least partly to his treatment at fan conventions. It is not healthy and it does not help the show be the best it can be.

I will not be watching RDXI unless Rob Grant is back. RDX was an insult to my intelligence.

19. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

True, Red Dwarf has never been "politically incorrect" - certainly not as much as other shows such as, say, Bottom (which, interestingly, the BBC seemed interested in continuing recently, but I believe that plan's been nixed) or even Men Behaving Badly, as you say. It never went out of it's way to offend but instead remained a family show, but there were the odd very few moments that could offend. I just feel that it would be a lot more "restrained" on the BBC in terms of jokes as everything would probably be analysed by several writers and channel controllers.

20. Cryptofascist

Cryptofascist Skutter

Positive changes I can think of would be, more episodes (we've got a lot of catching up to do), better costumes (for most of series x it just looked like the crew were cold and couldn't afford to have the heating on), bigger sets (it looked very strange having everything so tiny looking) and fix Krytens mask please, he looked like Freddy Krueger.

I'm not sure if Rob Grant returning would be a positive, so the jury's out for me on that.