Changes you would like to see for RD XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by talkie3000, Nov 18, 2012.

1. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

Exactly Starbug is iconic of Dwarf. I loved the old beat up cockpit of starbug, the knew blue midget cockpit just looked to knew and shiny. The thing is they had a oiginal model Starbug for series x but only used it a tiny bit in episode 1, Please get Norman back though.

Also what happend to Rimmer's space core directives? What about getting Lister's space bike back too just for a scene. getting Rob back would be awesome but i don't think it will happen.

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

For what it's worth I wouldn't be too fussed about having the Space Corps directives running gags back, it was fun enough in Series VI (Although even then, I think it had run its course by the end of the series), but I wouldn't really want to see a complete rehashing of old ideas like that.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Space Corps directives gag got tired by Emohawk, if there's an 11th series I hope it doesn't come back.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

And although that episode concerned the Cats, it was really a Lister/Rimmer episode in my mind. I.e. we had the Rimmer Quagaars plot and Lister/Cloister stuff. We found out more about Cat's history and his people, but they were really there to serve a Lister story.

Yes a proper Cat story would be welcome.

5. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The thing is him popping up to say a funny line or pull a funny face is kind of the point in Cat's character. He's a classic one-liner character with no emotional depth...which is why the much longed for Cat episode probably wouldn't work. His main purpose is to say something stupid or bag a punchline, much like Joey in Friends...and we all know what happened to his solo series! :roll:

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

I have to agree to be honest, plus one potential problem is that any episode that shows much more of the Cat race than another single throw-away character like the old priest will leave the writer having to explain why Cat himself doesn't stay with them, it's quite well established that Cat's priorities are very definitely himself and he has few actual loyalties to his fellow crew members. I'm one of those who thought that Identity Within would have actually made a pretty poor episode.

7. suekay87

suekay87 First Technician

The thing that could make the Cat stay with the posse can be found in the Cloister religion. They all renounced coolness and walk about like slobs with messy clothes. The Cat was brought up by an ailing priest that had lost his faith, so he's never really been ground the religion that his fellow cats likely hold so dear...He's likely to have more in common with the Dwarfers than his species.

8. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

To be fair here, we only have a pretty small (and dated, the crew have spent hundreds of years in deepsleep so the religion may have developed and move on in considerably in that time) snapshot of how Cat society works. The impression I'd formed was that the Righteous path of slobbiness was one that presumably the most pious and religiously observant Cats follow (Priests and assuming that they have them, monks and nuns), I'd assume that throughout the rest of society there'd be a variation in religious observance so it'd be likely he could find someone he had something in common with and at least they'd be his own species. However, like I said, we really don't have much to go on, that which we have got is now hundreds of years out of date and what I've posted is mostly speculation.

But yes, if they made it a particularly pious or religiously observant group they encountered, they could use the excuse that he couldn't cope with the lifestyle, although given how Professor E was disposed of, there's always the chance any other Cats would just end up being flushed out of the nearest airlock.

9. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

- Better acting/writing. Craig seemed no different from his Corrie character at times, the Liverpool accent was non-existent in some scenes. Robert was in over-act mode a lot of the time. I thought Chris most of the time was perfect as was Danny. Perhaps Doug should have pulled them on their performances and got them to watch their old episodes to get a feel for them again. Also, the writing from Doug itself at times could have helped. Doug should also stick to writing the episodes and not directing to take the pressure off and should also get some fresh writing help too. He can't, and shouldn't do it all on his own. Some of the stuff he has done in RD since being solo has been awful whereas nearly all of what he did in a partnership has been brilliant.

- Holly back in some form. It could even be as a recurring joke where she (as in Hattie, not Norman) pops up on a monitor, utters something and goes off again. Perhaps building up to a plot for the final episode of the series where she was trying to warn the guys of something etc.

- Starbug. It wasn't good enough only getting one ropey model shot in the first episode and no cockpit activity at all in favour of the quite underwhelming Blue Midget. Please bring Starbug back as the excursion vehicle of choice along with cockpit. As the overall look of X was so shiny and polished it would be nice for an interior Starbug look from either Series 5 (clean) or Series 6 (dirty), the clean one fits in with the overall clean look, or the dirty one as a nice contrast to everything else.

- Names in the opening credits / next time previews. They both don't suit the show at all and would be best left out for the next series.

- Better model shots. Yes, some model shots were glorious looking in X, but usually only the ones of Red Dwarf itself. Others were ropey at best and it would be great to see a real effort put in to making them look outstanding. Consider the model shots from Series 5 and 6. They look fantastic. The majority of the ones from X just weren't up to scratch, personally speaking. A flyover for the end credits would be lovely to have back too. If they could do it in the 80's with a camera and a model, why can't they do it nowadays?

- Sound effects. One thing that would be great would be the re-introduction of the sound effects used for certain things in the earlier series. Like the noises when keypads are pressed, Holly appears and disappears from the screen, doors opening etcd. Nice little touches that have been changed or dropped in later series.

That's off the top of my head. I'm trying not to sound like I'm being nitpicky or rude in the above comments, but I love the show dearly and it's sad for me to not have been able to enjoy X as much as I wanted to. Maybe I built it up too much in my head, or maybe it just wasn't that good. It's a debate that could go on forever and never reach a conclusion! I still plan on getting X on DVD this weekend though, watching it in it's entireity then turning the cover art around and placing it on my shelf beside Series VIII (I haven't bought BTE yet but may do just to "complete the set" even thought I didn't like it at all).

10. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

One thing that annoys me is Lister's logic in that episode. He says to himself that by being his own father and him going round in time as a 'holding pattern' then the human race can never become extinct.

What utter rubbish. Baby Lister is still Lister, so he will have the same life he had, when Lister dies, the human race is done.

11. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

But time will continue to circulate at that point (is weak though) but I like the episode. I felt it was rushed, they should have been introducing hints about ouroboros from the start of s7 and had it feel like a familiar theme rather than shovel it in ok b us in the last 5 minutes of kochanskis arrival.

12. LastTimeLord

LastTimeLord Supply Officer

The keypad noises are in Fathers and Suns, as Cat presses the keys about 20 mins in.
    The original siren is in The Beginning when the Dwarf is attacked.

13. mtullock

mtullock First Technician

watch the documentary of X. They did do it, but the original technique is too expensive now. Not sure why they didnt go on to use the real time film though.

14. LastTimeLord

The footage is in the deleted scenes, and the camera shakes a couple of times and the Dwarf is at a slight angle as well.

15. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

After you watch the documentary, you'll realize it's a miracle they even managed what we got.

16. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Thankfully Doug has more determination than just caring about the money- he wanted this out, he loves rd and the fans and he pushed and pushed. I wish he loves us just that little big more though, the whole series 8 ending not really being addressed was annoying :P

17. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

im really hoping we have less or even no dispensing machines in RD11, they seemed to be awkward as gueststars in series X, infact one line that really bugs me from fathers and sons for some reason is "so you are a cat of the world what do you think?" which just sounds stupid to me

18. LastTimeLord

Maybe it would work slightly better if it said "cat of the ship". Or is that just me?

19. RECTUMfacedPYGMY

RECTUMfacedPYGMY Catering Officer

yes didnt like the despensing machines get rid of those, or too a minimum,

20. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

My oldest child would like to request the return of Mr. Flibble. :-)