Chris Barrie Hints At More Red Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by PaddyC84, Jan 27, 2010.

1. PaddyC84

PaddyC84 Second Technician

2. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

The cast seem to be almost as much in the Dark about it's future as we are,hopefully some solid confirmation on the state of things to come will arrive soon.
    Whether it's a full series or more Specials I'll be glad to see more 8)
    I do have an itching feeling though that RD could end up like OFAH did with a continuation Via specails once or more yearly although I hope for a full series so fingers crossed.......:-D

3. Weevil

Weevil Deck Sergeant

Looks good. Great to see you back MAK

4. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

It's always reassuring to know the cast feel so good about it. It's just annoying to know they don't know anything either!

Chris is right to say Doug Naylor is a genius and that's part of why it works so well, but he and the other actors are a massive part of the reason too.

5. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Chris certainly seems enthusiastic which is very encouraging :-D

- Yeah, welcome back!

6. currymonster

currymonster First Technician

Its interesting how Chris mentions Doug and Rob as being a great writing team. Take from that what you will, is Chris's fav experience of the show the series that the pair wrote together?? What ever.

Got me thinking though, after the pair getting back together to finish the Body Snatchers script, wouldn't it be nice if the pair could get back together after 17 years and write 6 new classic scripts!

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

What would be nice would be if Rob Grant could find the time to deliver a single, solitary Red Dwarf script for any new series of a show that he presumably still makes a lot of money from, just so that we could end the debate once and for all over how big a part of the gestalt entity of Grant Naylor he really was. Was he the gag man, was he the idea guy or was he a combination of both?

Producing a single script would surely not eat too heavily into his personal time, would help reduce the workload on Doug Naylor and would be infinitely preferable, in my view, to the work of Paul Alexander.

If any other writers were brought back then I'd rather it was Kim Fuller who helped put together the excellent series 7 episode Blue. Other than that I'd hope that Doug can handle six fresh, original episodes himself...long enough has passed for him to surely have had more than six ideas about whre to take the crew. I hope we can get back to the traditional format and no more bloody stretched out multiparters or practicing for a film that isn't going to happen.

Come on Rob, comebacks and reformations are all the rage at the moment; give it a go.

8. currymonster

I think part of the problem of Doug working on his own (bar the odd writter that comes in for an episode here and there) is that he doesn't have anyone that truely understands the show the way he does to bounce ideas off. Even with another writing partner, who ever it happens to be in a particular episode, won't have the experience of writting 8 series (6 in Rob's case) and how you would instantly know what will and won't work.

It would be great to see a stand alone script from Rob, as he wouldn't be wrapped up in the storyline that Doug has ... well dug himself into over the last couple of series and special. Rob could look at it as, right ... I have these 4 characters I used to know really well. What would I like them to do, get up to. 1 half hour story that has no tie ins to anything else that has happened recently, just a a funny self contained adventure.

9. ch

ch Catering Officer

The last thing I would like to see is Red Dwarf becoming the subject of some sort of competition between the two (original) writers.
    And I doubt that Doug Naylor doesn't have competent people for giving useful feedback.

10. currymonster

No-one is suggesting a competion.

I said I'd quite like Rob back on board. New series, fresh start all that.
    And then it was suggested that it'd be quite nice to see a script written by Rob, maybe not with the intention of filming it, but just to see his take on an episode of Red Dwarf when written on his own. See what qualities have been lost since his departure

11. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

As an intellectual exercise for fans, I can see why it's interesting. Wholly impractical and impossible, but interesting.

Comparing Dwarf Rob and Doug's solo novels gives you an idea, though. They're of equal quality but have very, very different strengths. It's worth looking at The Strangerers of Dark Ages, too, and comparing to The 10%ers. Not Dwarf, but again - if you examine the writing - the difference in skill sets is extraordinary.

12. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Actually that isn't really what I suggested, instead I wondered about how possible it might be to speculate that, with so much time having now passed since his decision to split up with Doug, Rob might now feel that returning to write or co-write a single episode might not lead to his epitaph reading: CAN ONLY WRITE RED DWARF AND NOTHING ELSE!

He has done many other things, written some succesful novels and made two TV shows (regardless of what people think of their quality)

Although watching the series 8 documentary leaves one feeling rather depressed about hearing that the two "cannot talk to each other anymore". If that's still the case after all this time then that's rather sad but perhaps a reflection on something that happened that none of us will ever know about.

Still, people once said that Radiohead would never again play 'Creep' again, but they eventually did and, I'm told, rather enjoyed it!

Maybe Rob still feels he needs to write his OK Computer before he can return to that earlier material without feeling weighed down by it.

13. currymonster

I think the fact they got back together to finish the Body Snatchers script, do a video promo for it and that Rob was interviewed for the Body Snatcher box set about the beginnings for Red Dwarf means him and Doug are talking again.

I see what your saying now. And I have don't understand why he wouldn't be pround to have Red Dwarf as his legacy. He has done plenty before, and as you mention, other projects since. He will always be remembered for Red Dwarf, and the other stuff on the side. Writing a new episode/series now wouldn't hurt surely??

I supose at the end of the day its up to him. He may want to distance himself from the musicans that are all re-forming in recent years, maybe wants to prove he doesn't need Red Dwarf to be creative and noticed. Well I have one thing to say to that, Red Dwarf needs him!

As for Radiohead ... I saw them play that at Reading last year, although not a massive Radiohead fan, that was beautiful and I'm please I can say I at least saw them open the set with it, to the surprise of thousands of fans :-)

14. currymonster

Oooo sorry Andrew, missed your comment. I may look into those, be very interesting.
    I must say though, thinking about it, I much prefered Backwards to Last Human

15. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Well, these things are only a matter of taste - what suits a consumer's sensibility. Both are rich, fascinating, inventive books and I'd say their intrinsic qualities are pretty evenly matched.

Father Ted and Peep Show are equally good, but in different ways. Each individual is likely to have a preference, but at their core it's too close to call.

16. Smegged

Smegged First Technician

I guess it would be too much to hope that Andrew would have some inkling of what this year holds for the small rouge one? :-D

While it would be interesting to have Grant back in the writing fold as he is obviously a gifted writer, I think Doug has done a strong job on his own. His dedicated to Red Dwarf is partially what has helped it persevere after such a long absence, and BTE was truly a labour of love for him. (didn't he fund the Carbug out of his own pocket? I could be mistaken). It also seems like the cast and crew have a lot of respect for Doug.

My only hope for a new series is that they return to the studio audience. I just can't stress enough how big a part of the feel of the show I felt that was; it just made it so..."feel good".

17. MyMindIsGoing

MyMindIsGoing First Technician

Location, Location is a TV show about houses.
    I actually can't choose between the two books myself.

I'll admit that Backwards is much funnier, but Last Human's epic story is a lot more involving and interesting.

Getting Mr. Grant back on board would be excellent, but I won't hold it against him if he doesn't want to return; after all, he's under no obligation to do so - if he feels it's time, he'll come back on his own terms.

Rob and Doug are of course well back on speaking terms, and from the Bodysnatcher commentaries, it sounds like they had a lot of fun teaming back up. So who knows? Literally no-one!

As for the studio audience; as I've stated elsewhere, I don't consider the audience at all essential to the show. In fact, I actually prefer the Xtended Series VII episodes. An audience should be used if the show is returning to its sitcom roots. However, if Doug decides to go further down the dramatic route as flirted with in BtE (and I'm actually rather excited about that route), a studio audience would be detrimental in my opinion.

Plus, with an audience, you have to get big laughs, so the humour can get a bit broad like a lot in Series VIII - something that has angered a lot of people on this forum. No studio audience means that the humour can be a lot more subtle and better timed. Buffy was both funny and dramatic, right? I can't see why Red Dwarf can't be as well.