christmas special

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ac_cloud, Sep 27, 2010.

1. ac_cloud

ac_cloud Skutter

there's some interesting tweets going on tonight between robert llwellyn and doug naylor about a possible christmas special of red dwarf, it only seems to be chit chat and ideas at the moment but it's still pretty exciting

http://twitter.com/DougRDNaylor

http://twitter.com/bobbyllew

doug naylor - "So what'd happen if we got everyone to work for free and shot an RD Xmas special with audience? Would enough people buy it on I Tunes so we could pay everyone back who worked for free? Then we could make RD anytime we liked :-) We could rule the world. The world I tell you."

rob - "Mate, get out the glue, pull on the rubber, I'm in :-)

If you can do a deal with 2 entertain, they have deal with iTunes. 99p download. Easy peasy ."

(when asked who would buy a dvd)

naylor - "Four DVDs sold Bobby, already. We'll tell Craig, Chris and Dan we're doing it for charity, just you 'n me kid, right down the middle."

...here's hoping

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Call me greedy, but I'm rather hoping for something better! :P

3. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Also from the same convo Andrew correctly predicted:

"@bobbyllew Oh man, just watch those forums start buzzing now..."

:P

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

To be honest, I expected the discussion about a brand new Doug Naylor comedy show to be the thing people really got interested in...

5. bedfordfalls

It's always confused me slightly why Doug Naylor has never seemingly wanted to do any non-RD stuff since the Grant Naylor split. I admire his dedication to RD and his fruitless efforts to engineer various new versions of it over the years but I'm surprised that in the intervening gaps we havn't seen him emerge with a potential new show before now...or has there simply been a lack of interest? I'd find that hard to imagine given the pedigree he and Rob must have built up over the years so I've always previously been left with the conclusion that he simply didn't want to do anything else.

I'm not a twitterer, I'm afraid so can anybody fill me in on what this is about.

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

As ever, I'll once again warn against making assumptions about what a person wants. As we've seen before, that kind of guesswork about motivation tends to lead to some pretty inaccurate conclusions!

I will say this, though: if you thought Doug didn't want to do anything else, how does that fit with the making of two series of The 10%ers?

You don't have to be on Twitter to read a person's feed. Just got to twitter.com/whatever-their-name-is (in this case DougRDNaylor). Hell, you'd probably get to it just by Googling 'Doug Naylor twitter'.

7. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

This lady prefers iTunes downloads to cable! Christmas special...can't help but imagine Craig Charles doing his funk and soul thing with the other characters dancing around in costumes from "White Christmas"...then again, I am clearly feeling a wee loopy after not sleeping well.

8. bedfordfalls

9. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

doug naylor speculatively gives quite alot away on his twitter -
    :a 30 min show in a 40 min slot?
    :not 2 red dwarf shows shot back to back but just one for the time being?
    :he would like to do a christmas special and make it abit lofi and put it out on itunes for people to buy...personally I'd want better, but then again I'm not really into xmas specials so just more red dwarf would be fine, and they can tag it as a great extra on a new series dvd.
    : also, to me, there seem to be hints that doug wants the studio audiences back e.g. he states that they had no choice on the BTE specials.

10. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

i think its great doug is on twitter as its like knowing we could have an update about a new red dwarf series at any time :-)

only thing that worries me is he doesnt even sound sure if its going to happen which means i gather no dates have been set

id like to think he has written scripts already and that come the time they wouldnt be rushed but hmm

11. bedfordfalls

I'd be happy for the studio audiance to be back in a regular series but at the same time I really enjoyed BTE not having one (at least in the bits where it wasn't trying to do conventional sitcom scenes). It gave it a special kind of feel and allowed for a different type of (at times) highly emotional storytelling. As I've said since, I'd love for BTE type one offs to be produced in this way to bookmark a regular studio audiance assisted series.

12. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

They were just joking about the Christmas special, obviously, but it is fun to think about, Red Dwarf: Return of the Pan-dimensional Liquid Beast!

Still, while the no two series filmed on the run is a tiny disappointment he still says "this time" which gives me hope that it might happen in the future, possibly depending on the success of the next series.

13. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Iv'e just looked at that twitter, and i can't read anyting other than the titles/ single reply etc to each subject. Can anyone tell me what i have o do to read the full threads, i dont want to sign up to twitter/ facebook and all that other stuff just to read the info's.

14. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Hmm. Still one is okay. In the past that's how they've always done them. And 'not going 2 happen this time' suggest it might happen at another time. If this does well, i.e. has great viewing figures, there's a good chance of more.

One series might even be enough to round off the story, although I'd prefer more.

15. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Thanks for that. I thought it was me not having a clue what to do, if thats the way it is then it can be so easy to take things out of context.

Still looking forward to a new series with or without a studio audience. When i do hear that its a definate then i will also avoid all internet coverage so i that i get no spoilers.

16. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Not true!

Generally, the message is a reply, on the tweet you see in your browser it will say under the message:

about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone in reply to thatbloke

If you click the time info, you get the tweet on its own. If you click the 'via' info, you get detail on the system that user is using. And if you click 'in reply to'...you get to see the tweet that the poster was responding to!

If you stumble into a twitter back-and-forth like that, often you can see the whole thing by clicking each 'in reply to' going back through the conversation. It's not all one one page - get on twitter and follow people if you want access to that - but it's you don't have to comb back through a person's page to find what was originally asked.

17. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Sad to see that a new season of Dwarf, plus a new series of a Doug Naylor solo show, is being described that way! But then interest in the other thing he's been tweeting about, so far, has been pretty quiet. I guess there's a certain...straight-ahead focus to what RD fandom wants. (Or, at least, wants to talk about when it's all still vague. Vague thoughts on a show you already know and love being, I guess, easier to get excited about than vague thoughts on something you don't yet have a handle on.)

18. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

The new version of twitter doesn't work like that, it is more confusing, it doesn't have an "in reply to" :?

19. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Ah. I'm still on the old one...

Okay, just had a play, and you just need to click the tweet in question. Just click the tweet or its 'more info' button (right top corner of the tweet) and the context - including the thing it's in response to - appears on the right.

20. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I agree with you there, at one point awhile ago I was adamant that doug should leave the studio audience alone and keep it as BTE was as I thoroughly dislike series VIII (the last red dwarf series to be studi audiance set)...but now I don't think I'd mind really, it just puts more pressure on Doug in my eyes, cause with a studio audience you really have to make things funny to get the laughs, something Naylor is no stranger to of course, but if somethings not funny, then the viewers at home are sat wondering what the hell the audience is laughing at.

PS whats this other doug naylor project like by the way?