christmas special

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by ac_cloud, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I just used it the other day on one of Doug's comments.

It's not always included in their tweets though. It depends on how the tweeter, er, tweets, I think. I.e. sometimes by accident they might just write a universal tweet rather than replying in which case all followers get the tweet but they don't know what it's responding to.

2. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The only problem with what you are saying here is that something in that process evidently went wrong with series VIII for you to "thoroughly dislike it" despite it having that same studio audiance "putting pressure on Doug".
    Andrew can probably tell you but I'm not that sure on whether Red Dwarf's shoots take that American sitcom style of "the audiance didn't laugh much so we'll have to go away and write funnier gags then reshoot the same scene" route. I've seen that done in shows like Friends where they have a pool of writers but I wouldn't know if that's the way Dwarf does its stuff. The only time I can remember hearing that style off shooting being done was in Back to Reality and then it was more a case of having to reshoot it with the same material just so the audiance had time to get over their shock at what they thought they were seeing :lol:

3. nicky_j

nicky_j Deck Sergeant

My phone decided to re-tweet one of yours while it was in my pocket this morning lol.

4. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Your phone has excellent taste. :-)

As to the live shooting question, there have certainly been changes made and retakes done on-set for Dwarf. But honestly - and this is broadly true on American shows like Friends, too - you know some things might be an issue before you begin. You have alternatives in your back pocket.

The oft-cited 'flurry on Friends to come up with a better line' a nice bit of myth-making, but nine times out of ten it's more to do with 'which other ideas that we had could we put there?' You suspect a line might not be the best, but it goes through - if it works, great, if it doesn't, you look back at the other gags that were pitched. (Which, chances are, weren't written down, so it's about remembering the idea you had 28 hours ago or hitting inspiration. Nearly the same thing, but not quite so black and white.)

On Dwarf, and on IT Crowd, there have been alternatives in mind just in case. But, also, it's far more the tradition here to over-write. So you worry less about a gag that doesn't land because you know you don't need it - you can cream off the top. Your 35 minute episode will need cuts to fit the 28 minute slot, a joke that flops is waving its arms in the air, just begging for the necessary chop.

Mind you, Friends - and others of it ilk - often had the luxury of making the episode twice. Once without an audience, once with. They use bits of both in the edit, but that chance to try it all out once first adds a lot.

5. betelgeuse

betelgeuse Catering Officer

I agree, I think sitcoms and comedies shot in front of audiences are definately an art-form unto themselves - certainly from Graham Linehan's commentaries you can see that the audience will often react unpredictably other to the way the writer thought they would when writing the gags initially...what I like about the audience performance is the fact they rehearse the show and sort of fine tune it, and i know that linehan even takes on the actors views often as well.

I do think Naylor should decide one way or the other wether he wants an audience or not though.

6. bedfordfalls

What if Naylor's other show turned out to be a Red Dwarf spin off show....or a sitcom in a biscuit factory? :twisted:

7. bedfordfalls

The reason I mooted a spin-off is that it seems Doug sometimes has ideas that might have worked better on their own seperate show. I'm thinking largely about series 8 where, despite the criticisms I've (rightfully I feel) levelled at it, there were good bits, it was just that they felt rather un-dwarfy and as such they were tainted for me by being attached to the RD franchise. The whole prison concept in space could have made for a succesful show of its own without having to borrow Dave Lister et al which merely made it feel like one of those crossovers Marvel comics do when they need to boost a new property by having the X-men cameo in it. Of course I realise that this wasn't the intention, its just how it ended up feeling to me.

I could also see a canaries style show working without being attached to the RD universe, or a show based around the Space Corps before the accident having some interesting material to explore.

8. betelgeuse

It would surprise me greatly if there was a red dwarf spin off, though it's possible, maybe a spin off with a new set of characters that never became stuck in deep space far from Earth? This would also tie in with the rumoured plot for Naylor's proposed Red Dwarf movie which I don't think will get made i.e. a crew in a interplanetary war against evil cyborgs to save the human race.

9. bedfordfalls

Yep, this is how I've always imagined a Red Dwarf spin off would work. There seems to be plenty of extractable humour from the whole Space Corps setup for example and its not like the show would be predictable as can be the case with some prequels as we are talking about shows set 3 million years apart so there is some fair scope for how mankind progresses and at what pace. It would be cool to see little references though, for example the blueprints for Justice World or the creation of the first gelf or simulant where we know what's going to happen with them in the future. I suppose Robert Llewelyn could even guest star as the first Kryten (although technically perhaps the first Kryten should look like David Ross) :-)

10. bedfordfalls

Can you put this in context? Is he actually seriously considering this as a way to put together future episodes of Red Dwarf?

If so...how can I put it kindest? This has me extremely worried.

11. betelgeuse

One thing is clear to me, Naylor's new twitter action is impressive, he's not closed off to fans much at all is he, and even discussing potential ideas...well kind of... only thing is, I can never tell whether he has a grand plan for all things red dwarf, or whether he has a rough outline for a treatment and some ideas and delivers last minute as he has explained he has done many times in the past on early red dwarf....
    Plus, the fact he said he's submitting a treatment for the next red dwarf series would make me assume he's writing the next series on his own.

12. yeckel

yeckel Console Officer

He may just be trying to have some writing fun with his fans? I don't see any harm in it.

13. bedfordfalls

His method of text-speak less so. You are in your 50's Doug! Stop using teenage shorthand! :lol:

This is what's worrying me about those tweets. While Out of Time ended up being a superb episode despite being put together largely as it was being shot I was nevertheless of the opinion that after Back to Earth Doug had a firmer direction for Dwarf's future and so I'm rather surprised by these recent tweets if they are indeed indicating that ideas are still being tossed around. Wasn't shooting supposed to take place in January? If so I'd be surprised if script ideas hadn't been more or less finalised. Of course its all in the interpretation...and as usual the facts are foggy....but overall these Tweets make me more nervous than anything else.

I can see some benefits to Doug asking fans what they want to see in future (No more Duayne Dibley!) but then I can also see some extreme downsides to it (MORE Duayne Dibley!)

14. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Ya-hay! There's a cyberspace version of wearing tight leather jeans at the age of forty.:-D

15. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

It's called a character limit. Twitter is limited to 140 characters and sometimes it forces us to truncate. Believe you me, the man's not given to text-speak in general.

16. bedfordfalls

I see. Who'd have thought Stephen Fry would help popularize such an affront to proper punctuation? ;-)

17. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

You're dead wrong about the limit. There are a billion ways around it - Tweetlonger, multi-posting - but it's actually what's made the thing so weirdly popular. It prevents debates getting hopelessly in-depth (90% of arguments that happen in forums are literally impossible on Twitter), and it makes it easy to drift into. You never feel like you're demanding a lot of your readership, and you never feel you're letting anyone down if you miss one of their tweets.

It has, by accident, found a way to make the hard-work of the internet effortless. It;'s rare that anyone who get Twitter bemoans the limit - they know it's also the reason it works.

Us to URLs, that's simple - as with everything on Twitter, you pick and choose who to follow. If you don't trust the person, don't follow them, or don't click their links. You learn to feel safe about people you don't really know - which is a rare and lovely thing online. I know that Robert, say, is never going to tweet an inappropriate link. And I don't follow the people who'd do otherwise.

18. Allyndnoir

Allyndnoir Skutter

I'd buy a special from iTunes, or more accurately I'd buy it if it was on Zune. This could be a new thing, an entire season made just for the internet and sold directly to us fans without a network middle man and the ability to watch whenever. I'm all for it. Hell, if Bobby can do Carpool and make it a hit they can do Red Dwarf and charge 99 and I'd buy 'em all.