Commentaries

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Pecospete666, May 30, 2012.

1. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

Has any one rated the cast commentaries?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Rated in what way?

There have been numerous discussions on the board about the cast commentaries.

3. Reznor

Reznor Guest

love them all i can listen to it over and over yet i don't like when lister is gone (yea no yeaaa ... no pony!) :-(

4. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

some of the best commentaries I have ever heard and I listen to a LOT

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I tend to not be a huge fan of commentaries. It's enough effort to find time for the main feature, let alone some of the extras on DVD's. I only got around to listening to all of the cast commentaries for the podcast and found them, for the most part, lacking in much useful information. They were entertaining to some degree, but I don't feel that they were any kind of essential listening experience. However, Doug's BtE commentary is a different story. I found it more interesting and more entertaining and would highly recommend the experience of sitting through BtE with the directors commentary

6. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol i have never listened to dougs commentaries or ever plan to. I can not see that as entertaining! I want to hear all the boys having fun and reminiscing. hah you don't even have to watch it just having it on in the back round is enough. Hearing about the red camera is just not funnneh!! mostly pony with chances of ham :P

7. ori-STUDFARM

I think it was more to do with some of the thinking and decisions made during the filming and planning stages of BtE, along with all of the technical stuff I liked. Especially good to finally hear Doug's take of the events with Norman Lovett. Also, I hate the Series VIII commentaries.....mostly because of Norman Lovett.

8. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol aww got to love them making fun of his face :P

9. ori-STUDFARM

It would have been impossible to not :-)

10. Pecospete666

Pecospete666 Catering Officer

That's because Norman is not "LEGIT".

11. Reznor

Reznor Guest

wait wait his parents are not married? :P

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm pretty much the same. The cast commentaries are something I usually won't listen to twice, but any that feature Doug tend to be well worth repeated listens. I'd also highly recommend his commentaries with Ed Bye and Rob Grant on the Bodysntacher Collection.

13. Reznor

Reznor Guest

hah the cast commentary's are great!
    "pete packet" :P

14. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I thought Norman was the only one who actually offered a critical commentary on that series...and he was all but told to shut up by the rest of the cast for it.

When the opening lines of Pete are Rob Llewelyn chirping about what a good episode it was...well, it just made you question whether the cast even know what a good episode is or whether they just confuse it with how much fun they had making the thing.

15. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I too enjoy Norm's honesty on that commentary. Although I can understand why it may annoy some. But I personally found his moaning quite entertaining, on various levels. :-)

I don't think that necessarily means the rest of the cast weren't being honest though. Regardless of what some hardened fans may feel, there are a wide range of varying opinions when it comes to series 8. It may well be that they simply genuinely like certain elements of that series, as do I...although I do recognize certain 'weaknesses' (or just unwelcome differences?) too.

16. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

You have to realise they're looking at it from a different perspective than us though.
    To them its like being back at school, with all your mates in one place, yeah getting some work done but having a good time while doing it.

You might look back on your school days as a great laugh (or not!) but you have no idea how your year was perceived from the outside (mainly the teachers...)
    You could've been part of the best school year or one of the worst, but you still had fun.

That's why the commentaries are enjoyable, at least to me.
    It's a fun gang to listen to, in character or not :-p

17. mingle

mingle Third Technician

Just resurrecting this thread in the hope of finding out which of the DVD sets/series have cast commentaries?

Is it only the last few (Say S6 on wards) or all of them?

Cheers,

Mike.

18. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Every DVD except series X and Just the Smegs has cast commentary!

Well worth a listen - although the series 8 one is so annoying as there are too many people talking over each other!

Personally the Doug Naylor ones on bodysnatcher and back to earth are amazing!
    Best cast ones would be 1,2 and 6 as there are less people and less shouting from Hattie!!!!

19. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Ps steady on the thread bumping! Bluey-Lannister will be setting his hounds on you!

20. metallithrax

metallithrax Third Technician

I have watched/listened to the commentaries many times, and the only thing I don't like is Hattie. All she seems to do is repeat something that has already been said.