continuity errors

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by voo7hees, Jun 26, 2009.

1. garfie

garfie Catering Officer

Wrong side of the thin line between genius and ins
    But Red Dwarf wasn't moving at a constant velocity - it was accelerating so would need power. But as you said the RAM scoop covers this.

2. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

This also means that Red Dwarf should have no top speed, apart from staying below c, the speed of light, it should only have a top acceleration.

This reminds me of the Dudley Moore and Peter Cook sketch about the one legged actor applying for the role of Tarzan.:lol:

As for the hologram thing, I'm quite happy with the idea that part of the one-hologram limit is that the computers have to allow for them to not fall through floors and be able to sit on chairs.

3. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Ah, but it did pass the speed of light...!

4. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

We'll let Einstein comment on that on the sad day when Doug Naylor and Rob Grant move on to a higher plane.:lol:

5. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

You're right, that was probably just for the show's conveniance. Even Craig Charles mentioned the fact that Rimmer falling through things, or being walked through, never happened again after the first episode. (Which isnt quite true, as Rimmer's head does appear from a table in "Stasis Leak".) I do think your analogy is correct, and showing Rimmer being walked through, etc was probably just a device to show the difference between a hologram's physical state, and a living human's. :-)

You worked on the show? :shock: Wow, I didnt know that! lol Now Im looking foolish, debating the mechanics of the show with someone who worked on it! Hehee :eek:ops:

Have you been working on RD since the beginning? :-)

Can you not make actors appear to look younger though in this day and age, with computer wizadry? You make an interesting point, which I didnt think about before. Rimmerworld does seem to contradict Out Of Time, in that in Rimmerworld, Rimmer doesnt physically age at all in 600 years, (And of course crucially, doesnt die in that time either) yet in Out Of Time, he shows dramatic physical signs of aging in just 15 years. This is definitely a plot flaw, but as has been stated before, some liberties have to be taken with continuity in order to create the crazy, "anything goes" style of Red Dwarf. Im guessing you could probably come up with a way of making the actor appear younger, but it would probably cost too much, and take up too much time if you've got a tight budget and schedule.

While all that does make sense, as has just been pointed out, the one episode which contradicts all that is "Rimmerworld". He stays alive for 600 years, presumably being switched on for all that time. (while not aging at all) He also has a stress disorder as told by Kryten. Yet manages to survive surely a massive stress, being kept in that dungeon for all that time. I think it would be hard to argue that that isnt a massive contradiction, not only with that assertion, but also with the dramatic aging shown in "Out Of Time".

Well, we all know know Rimmer was switched on for 6 centuries (or at least that is the assumption) in Rimmerworld. So this would be in keeping with Kryten saying its rare for a hologram to die. (In the literal sense) So, I guess you have to say, depending on how you look at it, either "Rimmerworld", or "Out Of Time" took some libertys with the plot concerning the aging/mortality of holograms.

Again, if the script is funny, thats all that really matters. It is fun spotting all these little anomoalies though! lol :-)

Exactly :-)

One more error I think Ive spotted! In "Out Of Time" (again!), Kryten says the future Starbug's timedrive has developed a fault, and can only travel forwards. If that is the case, how could it jump to a time in the past where they knew their past selves would be?

6. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

[/quote]One more error I think Ive spotted! In "Out Of Time" (again!), Kryten says the future Starbug's timedrive has developed a fault, and can only travel forwards. If that is the case, how could it jump to a time in the past where they knew their past selves would be?[/quote]

Maybe they were already in the past when the fault occurred?

7. Angelic_Storm

Angelic_Storm Catering Officer

I did think of that, and that probably is the answer. :eek:ops:

I just thought the chances of them being in future was much more likely! lol

8. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

The problem is you can read into most Episodes continuity errors. At the time of production it's not always reliant to worry about minor discrepancies in the script, if they are changed on the spot, or if it doesn't work. Looking back now its very easy to open the inconsistencies of the show. I think it just adds to it's history.

9. carcar2110

carcar2110 Third Technician

Aha! The Holoship, something that no one has brought up yet! If, in the course of the show we call Red Dwarf, which would have spanned (not including BtE) 5 years or so (Because in Tikka to Ride, Lister says 'Since turning 28' or something), Rimmer had aged quite a bit (except in Rimmerworld), does this not mean that the holograms on the holoship should have aged in the three million or so years that they had been flying throughout space? Should that not mean that all of them would have eventually died or been shut off? Why keep them running when it's such a major power drain? (Where the smeg is the power powering the holoship coming from anyways?) And even if they were kept running, they still should have 'died' at some point, or at least aged. Or is there some way to turn off the hologrammatic aging processes so a hologram could run forever?

I actually don't really care about the continuity errors - I think it gives Red Dwarf part of its charm. But still, it's fun to pick them out and overanalyse them just for the hell of it!

(BTW, ignore any spelling mistakes - I'm writing this on my cell phone and therefore am not caring as much about/noticing mistakes

10. Baxters_Hooch

Baxters_Hooch Supply Officer

What I find odd is the asteroid belt in Psirens, no little asteroid could maintain a breathable atmosphere at Earth-surface pressure... But it's all for the comedy, we can come up with all sorts of pseudo-science explanations for these things (it's a really really dense asteroid!)

11. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Only one 'series' - Back to Earth - but if you've been watching the DVD documentaries or reading the website, that's my little contribution.

It's not especially easy. X-Men 3 kinda managed it for one scene, but it was massively expensive and still looked vaguely 'out of focus' to me. (And the same trick in Wolverine, like much of that film's effects, looked pretty pony.) The new Bruce Willis movie, which includes idealised robot 'surrogates' of real people, had to define its entire lighting style to suit the 'perfect-looking' make-up on the droids - which is a hell of a concession to have to make. And they still had to digitally augment as well.

So to de-age your cast is either massively expensive in post-production, or has huge implications for shooting (itself very costly), or, erm, both. The budget for Back to Earth was pretty much as low as any Dwarf budget has ever been, so it would never have been an option.

Not that you really want it to be. Comedy's in the performances, so to 'filter' those performances, soften the way the face expresses itself, would be a hell of a loss. The option was never discussed, as far as I know - you want your cast to look good, but you don't want to look other than they are.

Absolutely! They've been indulging in the past, not the far future. Why go to the year 3 million+ when humanity's all wiped out? All the food, drink, luxury and, erm, chicks, will be in the past.

Well most of this goes back to the Patented Andrew Read/Write theory. They're switched over to read-only (as I like to think Rimmer did for Rimemrworld) so they don't age or, especially, change.

Power-wise, one has to assume they found a way to leach power as they went along, since how else could it reach them as they travel through wormholes?

Bah, okay: it's all a TV show and the writers just thought it'd be interesting and funny. :-)

12. Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan

Red_Dwarf_Heroes_Lost_Fan Supply Officer

3,000,000 years into deep space. (otherwise, Dubli
    When the writers wrote the show, I don't think they intended for people to discuss the technical possibilties on the show in-depth. They just wanted to write a show!

13. jacksolomonsmith

jacksolomonsmith First Technician

Seeing as how underwhelmed the writers were with the look and whole production of the first series, they'd write out the stuff that they didn't like from the beggining and switch things round for the story, it really is as simple as that.

14. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Console Officer

Regarding Rimmer ageing I always sort of thought of it as Rimmer was brought back to keep Lister sane, so it makes sense for him to age gradually as Lister ages (I would imagine that ageing yourself whilst constantly accompanied by an ageless version of your bunkmate might be slightly disconcerting after a while), so in Out of Time Rimmer's aged and lost shape in the same manner as his companions would have. In Rimmerworld, there was no reason for him to age (and he knew that very little time was passing for his crewmates) so he didn't.

That's my rationale for that one anyway, hell, it works for me and I'm sticking with it!:lol:

15. Morbid_Angel

Morbid_Angel Third Technician

The captain of the Holoship mentioned when he first met Rimmer that he is an old type 1 hologram. Perhaps the newer type of holograms on the holoship were designed not to age or die?

Thats a good one, never thought of that! :-D
    I thought it was cos Rimmer was in a wormhole in "Rimmerworld" and thats why he didn't age.
    (seeing as the wormhole messes around with time)

16. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Rimmer wasn't in a wormhole in Rimmerworld. He passed through it to reach Rimmerworld. So time still passed for him. Actually more than that for the crew (time dilation caused by the wormhole, true, but that doesn't mean he was in it).

17. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

Surely Continuity Errors is a bit of a sour subject with Red Dwarf as it's always been known for it's discontinuity..
    They point this out in their own commentaries and interviews.

18. CallMeAce

CallMeAce Third Technician

Also could you not post Andrew's Read/Write theory to the fact that all the holograms on the Holoship would have been soft light as opposed to hard light?