RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

It seems that we're finally getting to the home straight in the long wait wait for Series XI. I totally missed the build-up to Series X, so I'm really looking forward to all the upcoming pictures/trailers/poorly executed publicity stunts (I did look up Vindalunar!).

So how is everyone feeling about the new series? I am so incredibly excited that I keep dreaming about it (I dreamed the entire first episode last night!), but I'm sure that as it gets closer I'll start to feel a bit nervous. Having read all the set reports, the one thing I'm most unsure about is the hinted-at musical number(s) - I'm sure they'll be brilliantly done, but it did take me ages to warm to the Arnold Rimmer song. What are your current hopes/fears?

2. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

I'm really looking forward to the new series as I'm sure we all are. It feels like these next two series' have a real good mix of better budget and production coupled with good old fashioned studio audience atmosphere.

Where it concerns musical numbers we'll wait and see, I'm sure they'll be cool.

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm looking forward to the new season but not with the excitement of old - as season 9 approached I really did feel the way I did when I was a child on Christmas Eve. The main difference there was a) It had been a full ten years since the last season had aired, and b) For years we fans had believed that Red Dwarf was never going to return to television, and since the movie was obviously never going to appear and there was no indication that any new novels were going to be written, it seemed that Red Dwarf was effectively dead. So when season 9 came along, it felt like something of a miracle.

Another thing though is that I'm not confident that the new episodes can recapture the magic of the classic era. So I'm excited about the new season, but these days there are new seasons of other shows (such as Game of Thrones) that I look forward to more.

4. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Having seen series 11 episode 6 I feel you may be deciding whether to have your hat fried or stewed!!!

5. "Christmas rubbish"

Also the phrase "classic era" is some what annoying. As technically that includes series 8

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

How so? I've never known anybody on here or anywhere else to refer to season 8 as part of the classic era.

7. "Christmas rubbish"

Well how can it be classic? Class is refers to the original series before it went to Dave, thus ending in 1999 with series 8?!

The pre transmission negativity has started quite early this year. I'm impressed. :roll:

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Nope. I'm sure that most people would consider the classic era to be when both Rob Grant and Doug Naylor were involved with the show (and before the noticeable decline in quality began). In other words season 1 to season 6.

9. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I think I'm singing from the same hymn sheet as Bluey on this one, it's good to have new red dwarf but it won't be as good as older red dwarf.

10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Would definitely agree, Rob + Doug = classic era. And yes it would be impossible for Doug Naylor on his own to recreate that exact magic. But like AntE, having seen an episode recorded (ok, so it was from XII), I feel pretty optimistic about what's coming. And all the other set reports have got me so intrigued, with their talk of clever sci-fi plots and surprising guest stars, that I feel September can't come soon enough (and it's not like me to wish the summer away!).

11. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

I find it difficult to put down a new series when it's still a few months away and no one's seen any of it yet.

Way to go, that's the spirit, let's relegate it to inferior status before any of us have even seen an episode.

12. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

But there are also people who would say that the "classic era" ended before VI (seriously, there are people who hate VI, mad as they are). Heck, there are people who say that the changes after II were enough to move it into a different era, and one they didn't like! You may see a "noticeable decline in quality" when Rob leaves, but that is simply - and very demonstrably - not a one hundred per cent agreed upon consensus.

You can't apply "classic era" as a qualitative judgment. It can only ever be agreed on in any meaningful sense to be a chronological thing. And in Red Dwarf's case, the clearest divide is "the BBC era" and "the Dave era". If the phrase is going to be used in a sense in any way similar to the way it applies to Doctor Who, then "Classic Dwarf" is 1988-1999, and "New Dwarf" is 2009-present.

13. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

I refuse to refer to series 8 as "classic"

14. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

In terms of eras, as Seb said, some people see series 1 & 2 as being different to anything else. Heck, I usually mentally "divide" Red Dwarf up as the following:

1&2 - "ye olde" Red Dwarf with more focus on comedy and less on action set-pieces
    3 - a "trial run" before 4 and 5
    4&5 - mostly great, with a few missteps in 4, which is where RD is most fondly remembered
    6 - Starbug part 1, great
    7&8 - "wacky" Red Dwarf, also known as "when Red Dwarf found a budget". Series 7 more like a drama, to me
    BTE & X

I am greatly looking forward to new Dwarf and, having seen one of the episodes (XII episode 1) have to say that it fitted well into series 4 territory, though there is a bit at the end which could have been copied/pasted from series 8. Definitely looking forward to it WAY more than any other show (with the only other show I watch that I currently look forward to as much being Person Of Interest, and that's nearing the end now). I just like how Red Dwarf is an underdog - it doesn't get anywhere near the same amount of money or viewers as other shows, but it keeps on going and, despite what some fans think, is still good.

Hopefully we'll get a trailer of series XI soon, which will help whet my appetite.

15. "Christmas rubbish"

Bravo. Quite correct. If only Bluey and Casper the Grumpy ghost shared our optimism!

16. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Having seen an episode or two filmed from both 11 & 12 I'm really looking forward to the new series. It won't recapture the "classic" seasons because why would it 20 odd years later? It will definitely be better than series X.

17. "Christmas rubbish"

I just couldn't believe the production values alone. And some moderately high end name guest stars.

18. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

My personal division is to have "classic Dwarf" as the pre-hiatus BBC run, which has two epochs: "Military Grey" (series one and two) and "Female Holly" (three to six).

Although series six is very different to three, I find it hard to divide the second epoch any further. The change feels more like evolution from series to series. There's no clear "break".

My (increasingly laughably named) "new Dwarf" follows the hiatus of the mid-Nineties, when the show came back without Rob Grant. This has two epochs: "Late BBC" and "Dave".

19. "Christmas rubbish"

I just call it Red Dwarf and know which episodes I like and dislike. Not sure why people feel the need to overcomplicate things! Who cares what time period it was on or who wrote it?
    :roll:

I think it's just one of those "fan" things - you've gotta hate CGI, post series 7 and pretend Rob Grant is a comedy Jesus otherwise the "fan" universe will implode and kittens will die. :roll:

20. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

After the success of series X I'm feeling more excited and optimistic about these new
    series'. I'd be happy if they're as good as series X but based on the set reports it sounds
    like they may be even better. :-) I have a really good feeling about this and suspect that
    some episodes will be just as good as the "classic era".

As for the future of RD, after series X I predicted that we would get at least another two
    series'. And now I'm predict the same again. I think we'll get least two more series after
    XII and XII . As well as the live show. And a new book.

And the movie...okay so perhaps I'm being a tad too optimistic now. ;-) But I'm serious about two more series and I think the live show and a book at some point are real possibilities.

Oh and for what it's worth I absolutely love series 7. And am still somewhat in awe of Doug et al for managing to create such an entertaining series without his former writing partner and with limited Rimmer involvement.

Series 8 was shaky in places but I don't personally think it's anywhere near as bad as some fans make out (although obviously personal taste is a factor to be considered). BTE was good in it's own way and for me Doug has proven with Series X that he's still got what it takes to produce quality Dwarf.