RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

The one I went to was definitely better than anything in RDX.

2. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Yes that's what I thought too. And in fact if the new series are on a par with X, despite that fact that I enjoyed X and it got me back into Red Dwarf, I will be disappointed. Out of all the set reports I read, there was only one episode out of twelve that seemed to get a more negative reaction (and that was mainly just one poster's opinion). Sounds like there was a more mixed response after the Series X recordings, so I think there is fair reason to be optimistic. :-)

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I expect the production values to be a bit better and the writing slightly tighter this time around as Doug was able to gague from X what worked well and which bits didn't quite hit the mark. And as you say the set-reports have been especially positive for the most part. So yeah, I think a certain degree of optimism is justified at this point. :-)

4. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

[​IMG]

That's me excited, that is.

5. Callisto252

Just noticed this tweet from Richard Naylor.

Don't understand the technical jargon, does anyone know what 'locking' means? Sounds like everything's coming along nicely though :-)

6. Pendo

Pendo Supply Officer

I think "locking" means to complete it, having everything locked in place - finalised - no changes.

Episode three was the episode I saw and it was a great episode. I can't wait to see the broadcast version.

7. Callisto252

Thanks for the info. I'm also looking forward to watching the one I saw recorded, perhaps even more than the ones I haven't seen (it's the closest I'm ever going to get to being in an episode of Red Dwarf!). Ages to wait though.

8. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Although I didn't think it was completely vintage (there were some flaws), I found series 10 really enjoyable, very good and the best overall and most consistent RD run since the glory days. So if series 11/12 can be an enhancement on that then I will be rather satisfied. I reckon at least 5 of the new episodes sound like they could be in the vintage bracket so it all sounds very promising.

But anyway I am really anticipating the new Red Dwarf episodes and like others have said that is the way to be especially as no one has seen the finished versions yet!

The only thing that does concern me slightly is something djmcbell's posted about the episode they saw had a bit of an iffy end. If it was the beginning or middle part that was not so good then that would not be as bad as obviously the end is the most important part of a story. But still overall djmcbell thought it was overall a much stronger episode than anything from series 10 so that does reassure me and who's to say that the end in the finished version won't be slightly different? I suppose it depends on whether this dodgy scene was just a small bit in the final part of the episode or a key moment/climax/pay-off?

But anyway it all sounds highly promising about the new material and it appears there may be much to look forward to and some darker-themed RD too.

The only other thing I might add is that this time I probably won't watch trailers because I certainly found with the actual individual episode ones they gave away quite a number of the best bits before I watched the complete versions which spoilt my enjoyment slightly.

9. Strat-tastic

I think I'll probably avoid the trailers too, and maybe the synopses. I guess we'll be talking a lot here about them, so perhaps I'll avoid those threads.

Like on RDX, I learned they'd meet 'Jesus' in Lemons before watching, and I'd really prefer to have enjoyed the surprise reveal. Ho hum.

10. Callisto252

Oooh, I won't be able to stop myself from watching the trailers so I hope they don't give away too much!

11. Callisto252

12. Strat-tastic

What's he say? What's he say? :-D

13. Callisto252

Is the link not working or is Twitter one of the sites you can't look up at work? Anyway, he says he's just watched an episode of XI that he last saw in script form and it's been "elevated immeasurably by execution". And that he's well chuffed about it!

14. Strat-tastic

Thanks. Does that mean the script was no good? :twisted:

And yeah, Twitt's off limits to me at the mo :-)

15. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Agree.!It's very oddly worded. But get the drift!

Series 11 episode 6 is intense! Ask Seb he was there too.

16. Callisto252

Were you a fan of X Ant E? How did you think it compared?

17. Ant E

Hit and miss with X. It was ok, had funny moments but I thought Craig and Robert overacted slightly. I'm a much bigger fan of BTE.

But, with the exception of one scene (which Doug mentioned on Twitter recently saying it constantly made him laugh - which this reviewer didn't find that funny) I would say it was a really clever episode only let down by an abrupt ending.

Very clever, very sciencey and a fun ep. Production values more worthy of series 5 or 7. And a cool guest star.

18. Callisto252

Yes I saw that twitter post, it sounds like the kind of thing that might be a tad over-done (and therefore not funny!). I'm really excited about the guest stars in these new series - I keep trying to guess who they are from the hints that have been dropped! It's amazing that nothing's got out so far (definitely for the best though).

19. Ant E

It was a little. But.. A very clever story and a really good guest cast !!!

20. Strat-tastic

Didn't they stop filming at 10pm saying as it's Xmas they're calling it a day?

I have a pet theory that they secretly filmed an extra scene or two for a cliffhanger, but it's so good it needs a guarantee of no spoliers.