RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I loved it.. atmospheric, high quality, Smegtastic.

2. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

BetterAnythingThanThatToupee Third Technician

There is ONE moment in Twentica where they're NOT hamming it up, where Rimmer is almost Rimmer and it doesn't feel like a run-around but an actual story, but I'm sad to say that it's a fleeting one. The FX on the other hand are out of this world. Still holding out for the other 5 episodes this season (and more to come) -- hopefully they'll be more like what was hinted at.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

That bunkroom bit in the trailer was so brief i dunno how anyone can make a judgement on it.

When it comes to Chris as rimmer these days i remember when someone saw the live recording of i think it was trojan and they said chris didn't act like rimmer as he seemed to happy and not rimmer like and all i could think was but rimmer has been happy many times in the show, i know rob and doug have had their phases with rimmer where in series 1,5,6 he seemed quite grouchy alot of the time (excluding holoship) and 2,3 and 4 he seemed more layed back and happy so i won't put to much thought into it untill i see it for myself but i do know chris has sometimes hammed up his performance like in dear dave even though he was mostly ok in Series X

4. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Can we stop calling EVERYTHING we don't like pantomime? The Blue Midget dance is pantomime. The Ace Rimmer opening of Stoke Me a Clipper is pantomime. The slapstick with Lee Harvey Oswald and the beating up Lister scenes in Tikka to Ride are pantomime. This here is a line you feel is being delivered slightly too hammy.

Pantomime implies extreme exaggeration, which only Series VIII was guilty of on a frequent basis. NOTHING about that exchange could be interpreted as seriously over the top. I'm not saying you can't criticize the acting, but can everybody just stop throwing the word "pantomime" at every single thing you don't like?

Not to mention, you can't judge the quality of the acting based on ONE exchange. Everybody complained about the way the "two forks and a pencil sharpener" bit appeared when released as a trailer, but given context within the actual episode none of the "problems" really existed. Don't over-analyze the trailers, because whatever conclusions you come to based on such a little amount of material will inevitably turn out to be wrong.

And for the love of God, stop calling everything "pantomime". I cannot overemphasis how annoying that is.

5. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

'Parody' is probably a better word.

6. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

No, because parody is imitating something with the intent of making fun of it. That's even less applicable here.

Frankly I can't see how you could possibly call it pantomime or parody. Maybe the delivery is not subdued as you'd like, which I can see as a perfectly valid complaint given how subdued the bunk room scenes have historically been, but implying that it's ridiculously hammed up is just silly. It's not. And I can't believe you could honestly think it is.

7. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

Well, here's the truth for you: it is. Maybe you should wait until you've actually seen a full episode before you start shouting down the opinions of those who have. Frankly, I can't see how you can NOT tell the difference between the breadth of performance and style of humour from series 8 onwards in comparison to 1-6 (and this is coming from someone who likes X -- I like it, but I'm not blind).

And I'd argue that parody is exactly the right term for it -- you do know that there are several forms of parody, right? In this case, it's self-parody. The show can be, at times, a parody of itself.

But hey, I can go back to 'pantomime' if that doesn't do it for you.

For what it's worth, I like the trailer.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

looks like Red Dwarf might have borrowed a costume from doctor who for the new series

[​IMG]

the same robot was in Doctor who 'The Rings of Akhaten'

[​IMG]

i honestly thought it looked abit doctor who-ish when i first see it.

9. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I'm shouting down the use of the word "pantomime" for every little bit of acting people don't like. I have no idea if it's actually deserved or not for this series because the word means nothing any more.

I'm only directly confronting the opinion of the guy who said it based on the trailer, because again, he ascribed it to something so clearly unfitting of the definition of the word. How am I supposed to take anything away from a comment about the acting being pantomime if everyone uses it against the most minor perceived infraction?

I'm not arguing with the opinions of people who've seen the episode, I'm objecting to them describing it with a word that in this fandom could mean basically anything. What am I supposed to take away from them calling the performance pantomime when I have no idea what their idea of pantomime even is? At least try and compare it to another series so we have SOME idea.

Parody is intentional. What you are saying is that you believe this bunk room scene is supposed to be a parody of previous bunk room scenes, the humor coming from the imitation and exaggeration of things associated with those scenes. Rather than, you know, just a scene that takes place in the bunk room. I don't think it's at all reasonable to make that kind of judgement based on two lines of dialogue.

I am not even defending the acting here, I'm just objecting to absurd over-analysis. Believe it or not, you can dislike a performance without calling it pantomime or parody. There are other more applicable words.

10. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

That's your problem - not mine (or theirs).

Wrong. I never said that at all about the bunkroom scene. In fact, I like the trailer!

Right, and you get to decide who is free and who isn't free to use these terms? Give me a break.

P.S. Parody is not always intentional. As a writer, take it from me. The material doesn't have to be self aware to come across to a reader or a viewer as being 'parody-like'.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

12. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Clearly not, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want some clarity on the quality of the performance if that's what they're giving their opinion on.

That's my bad. I misinterpreted your "parody is a better word for it" comment as being in reference to the bunkroom exchange instead of over-the-top moments in general. I apologize for that, bad assumption on my part.

Number one, I never said that or anything like that, and number two, that's a really dickish comment. I never insulted you. My point is if that bunkroom scene in the trailer can be called pantomime, then you could reasonably call the majority of the entire series pantomime. It's a uselessly ambiguous term on this forum, and I think there are better, clearer ways for people to express their opinions. Especially when those opinions provide people's first impressions of a new episode.

I'm not arguing with you on that last point. I never said something can't come across as "parody-like" without doing so deliberately. But parody-like is just that, displaying some of the qualities associated with parody. If it could be fully considered parody, it would called parody. I am also a writer, which I am only mentioning because you bolstered your view by revealing you were. I'm doing the same.

We've both communicated our opinions. Unless there's any burning reason to keep this exchange going, let's go back to talking about the trailer.

13. misterjohnsparks

misterjohnsparks Third Technician

Just caught the trailer. Not much I can say other than goodness does it look 'big'. Big budget, ambitious and proper sci-fi in its visuals. There was only one real gag in the trailer and it made me laugh. Cacking me sen with excitement.

14. BetterAnythingThanThatToupee

And yet you're still attempting to 'police' people's views in regard to this. If you have the right to tell people to 'stop it', then I have the right to call you out on it, and to tell YOU to 'stop it' -- so please, stop trying to police people's views on these episodes. It's just sad. If you can't understand what people mean by using the terms 'pantomime-ish' and 'parody-like', again, that's your problem. They shouldn't be told to 'stop it', just because you don't/refuse to understand.

With the best will in the world: let's not. I've got better things to do with my Saturday evening. Sincerely, though - hope you enjoy the new series :-)

15. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

...for the last time, I was never complaining about people's opinions but about how they were expressing them with ambiguous wording. But apparently I'm the only one bothered by this.

I hope you and everyone else does, too. There's nothing sadder than people waiting years and years for their favorite show to come back, and then being disappointed by it. Especially when it looks as damned promising.

I am genuinely sorry if I came across rude and pedantic. I get wound around the axle about minor things sometimes.

Back on topic, finally:

This trailer is an amazing example of what hybrid CGI-enhanced model shots can achieve, bringing together the strengths of both to cancel out their respective weaknesses. I've always hated over-reliance on CGI for spaceship shots, especially in TV shows from the mid-2000s where they looked as fakey as any old model shots, just in a different way. This here is the way to do it, and I can't wait to see what elaborate effects sequences they pull off throughout the new episodes.

16. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Loved the trailer, love it all, love everything, can't wait.

17. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

the trailer was great, the bunkroom clip only feels slightly off to me because of how much their voices have deepened during the years, especially Craig's

18. Woolford

Woolford First Technician

Hi all, watched the red dwarf 11 trailer's. Looks amazing and looking forward til the 22th September.

19. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Are you KIDDING me? Has a series of RD EVER bombed? Even S8, which seems to be this forum's common whipping boy, was well-received on initial airing. Back to Earth, which many now don't like either, was also a gigantic success.

What you might look at as a "bomb" in your opinion probably doesn't translate that way when it comes to the almighty dollar (or pound, or Euro, or Bitcoin, or whatever the #$@# they are currently using). I think S9 and S10 proved without a doubt (if there ever was one) that ANY new series of RD will be profitable and "successful" on a financial level for those involved.

And how do you know it hasn't been commissioned? We only know what we're told, and I certainly haven't heard anything either way.

20. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

That looked great.

Loved the lifesigns gag, and the fact Starbug's legs slant in flight like they did in Series 7.