RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I love the look of the new photograph up there. What we can see of the background is lovely. I was concerned that creating a convincing alternate America might be difficult on a Red Dwarf budget, but all the pictures we've seen so far have impressed me greatly. Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised considering the brilliant job they did last season of creating a first century Indian marketplace.

I'll probably end up getting the mobile game at some point. I always like Red Dwarf games - there's been a few pretty decent fan-made ones on the internet over the years. Even that DVD game a few years ago was pretty good. What the world really needs though is a really good Red Dwarf video game. I hope this is the one.

2. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Ooh, that Starbug 1 t-shirt is deffo on my list of things to drop hints about for people to buy me for my birthday/Christmas!

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

4. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

Ohh, I am disappointed at that T-Shirt. I don't like the look of the 'Haynes Manual' design that it follows . I hope they release some different T-Shirts.

5. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

Is it just me or does the plot for Twentica sound like a Sci-Fi version of the novel "1984" by George Orwell?

6. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

As cool as that looks, "Smeg Points" is pretty dumb.

7. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I like that they're bringing new merch out, and that they actually look good. However, the JMC one is the only item officially unveiled so far I'd get, and I'd sooner get a series XII version to commemorate the episode I saw filmed.

Also, the Kryten top - well, if they run out of budget I guess they can just stick one of those on Rob.

The mobile game - looks intriguing. Maybe. For me, Red Dwarf has never been about shooting things in Starbug or exploring the universe. It's about the comedy. Which is why I always thought six short point-and-click adventure games (in the style of Monkey Island) would work well. Still, will be interesting to see what Doug has in mind, but I rather get the feeling it won't be much. "Smeg Points" has pretty much turned me off them already.

8. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SFX magazine special

9. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

To be fair, it's not the first time they've done this. Polymorph was like a sci-fi version of Alien; Meltdown was like a sci-fi version of Westworld; BTE was like a sci-fi version of Blade Runner, etc..

:P

10. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

The End was like a Sci-Fi version of 28 days later.

11. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

:-)

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

The game from that picture looks like a Red Dwarf version of Asteroids. 8)

13. magnetiser

magnetiser Third Technician

Dave have released a couple of additional teasers on Facebook:-

A collection of wonderful gags in there...

https://www.facebook.com/davewittybanter/videos/10153722349783204/
    and
    https://www.facebook.com/davewittybanter/videos/10153722349698204/

14. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

The first one feels kinda like a throwaway gag from series VI, though the idea of Kryten trashing data files does make one think back to him doing that in series VII in Tikka to Ride. It’s okay, if a little obvious....nothing too exciting.

That bunk one is odd because I feel a little conflicted about it, on one hand it’s yet more attempts to go back to the bunk humour that the show has been trying to do since series VIII even though the show moved past that a long time ago……however it does feel like it’s one of Doug’s strongest attempts at recreating some of those series 1 and 2 gags.

15. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I loved the first one in starbug, it made me laugh out loud

16. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I don't wanna sound too down on the clips, on their own I actually think they are fine....I would even say I like them notably better then the ones we were getting for series X! I just feel like the Bunkroom scenes are really just trying to turn the clock back to the very earliest episodes to appeal to nostalgia, but with the show's dynamic having evolved over the years....it just sorta holds the show back from moving forward.

Look at series X for instance, these bunk room scenes had a tendancy to dely the plot from starting up until far too late into the episodes, and the less said about series VIII's attempts at trying to envoke that kind of nostalgia the better. Hell I would even say that many of the show's best episodes like Back to Reality never had those scenes at all. I wanna reiterate that I didn't think that clip was bad.....just unnecessary!

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The first didn't amuse me, but the second clip did...ever so slightly. I'm looking forward to seeing the full scene so I can see how it compares with the classic bunkroom conversations.

I wish I could resist watching these clips and trailers. I saw so many for season 10 that it seemed like I'd already watched half of some episodes.

18. magnetiser

magnetiser Third Technician

I agree that the bunkroom scenes in VIII and X sometimes feel superfluous to the narrative, but there are numerous examples throughout Dwarf's history, e.g. Backwards' Betty Rubble chat, where they have worked extremely well despite feeling fairly irrelevant. Providing they are done well, e.g. to establish and/or develop character, I like them - even if they aren't particularly well integrated plot-wise.

Having said that, and having again binged on Dave's Series V marathon yesterday, I also noted a distinct lack of bunkroom scenes. So, I guess my hope is that they are used sparingly in XI and XII to quickly establish the plot or remind us of a particular character element that proves to be plot-relevant. But, ultimately, it's that tricky balance between classic sit-com and sci-fi 'thriller' that Doug's hopefully been able to strike nicely this time round.

Agree, but they are doing their job of keeping me :lol: very well!

19. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I thought both of these were great. Classic Dwarf-style humour, IMO.

Kryten wiping his own memory was a fairly simple, snappy gag with a nice-pay off. It wouldn't have felt out-of-place in series four, five or six.

As for the "bunk scene", it's just a bit of back and forth, but Craig gets a laugh with his delivery. I'd rate it as high quality filler. I don't think every bit of dialogue in a sitcom has to advance the plot... you can have a few bits to reinforce the "sit".

EDIT: Also, for all I know, this will actually advance the plot. E.g., Rimmer tries to prove that Lister has a "charmed life", and that leads to something happening.

If these are representative, I think RDXI will be strong. And we'll find out very soon!!

Also, I thought the cockpit looked brilliant.

20. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

The Haynes-style Starbug tee shirt is super, but I don't normally buy tee shirts online. There's too much variation in fit, so I like to try on.

Or is it just me? I end up buying anything between M and XXL to get a decent-fitting tee shirt.