RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

The Haynes-style Starbug tee shirt is super, but I don't normally buy tee shirts online. There's too much variation in fit, so I like to try on.

Or is it just me? I end up buying anything between M and XXL to get a decent-fitting tee shirt.

2. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Isn't the correct word, "t-shirt"?

:?

3. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

Both are seen, but I think you're probably right that T-shirt was the original and still most common form.

I can't stand "OK" either - I always put okay.

4. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

5. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

The first joke about Krytens' memory erase was funny and well done, the bunk scene joke felt very RDVIII but a short clip isn't really in context to the full scene so I'm happy with both those clips. 8)

6. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

It reminds me of a specific series VIII joke, during the scene Lister is trying to convince Rimmer to help him out in Back in the Red part 1.....which was probably the best Rimmer and Lister exchange in series VIII. It actually would have been a good scene if some jokes didn't get stretched out to the point of ruining them.

I think the exchange in that clip is fine, even mildly amusing but I tend to feel bunk scenes are redundant now and tend to hold episodes back from moving the plot along. I feel like Doug only focus' of them because some fans talk about those moments from the show's early days with such affection, his trying to appeal to that sense of nostalgia.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

8. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

OMG, trust them to do four covers, sheesh, right, erm, okay, not going to buy all of them, I think I will end up getting the Kryten one.

9. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

I agree. Stupid greedy magazine!

10. Slainmonkey

The cover with Cat just looks weird.....it's just a really strange looking photo.

11. Oddheads

Oddheads Second Technician

The way the photo has been taken makes it look like he has no neck, which in turn makes the head look fake. Like it's been glued on.

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

A 36 page Red Dwarf magazine inside? I'm probably going to end up buying this now. And I'll probably get the Rimmer cover.

13. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Can't believe this countdown is nearly over - I'm starting to feel a bit giddy with excitement now. Or perhaps it's the hot weather; hot weather and new Red Dwarf is a strange combination. I quite like it though, feels like it's all good :-)

I'd made up my mind to definitely wait for the TV broadcast, but don't think I can possibly hold out for a whole week knowing it's just sitting there, a couple of clicks away. Part of me is secretly hoping UKTV play doesn't work for me, and I've got no choice but to wait!

Oh BTW just to warn you, there's a Metro article out today which gives away a few slight spoilers (despite them stating that they've been 'sworn to secrecy')

14. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'm most definitely not waiting for the TV broadcast.

15. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

Ditto:-D

16. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

For anyone wondering whether Doug intends to ever write an ending for the show apparently Doug says nope

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/red-dw...ys-there-probably-wont-ever-be-proper-finale/

17. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Doug's so good at writing episodes that work satisfyingly as an emotional ending while still leaving things open-ended (what I've always called "Futurama endings") that yeah, I don't see why he'd ever want to restrict himself by writing an actual definitive end.

Back to Earth 3 and The Beginning would both work perfectly as the last Red Dwarf episodes if they were the last, but neither are harmed by the fact that they turned out not to be.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

19. Slainmonkey

You know, even if the episode itself isn't funny, that jab at the BBC certainly was!

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Classic dwarf is pretty much 1 to 6 because 7 and 8 tend to get a bad rep so basically any series doug is trying to replicate in the new series is classic and anything doug spends alot of time trying to ignore like series 8 probably isn't classic

i know 6 sometimes gets put in the down hill category but its really rare that i see that now days.