RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm unsure whether the one I saw (which, at the time, was implied to be RDXII episode 1) is here in XI. There is a plot which *could* be it, but I don't think it is.

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

They sound interesting, The alternative America one sounds quite ambitious as a story

The midlife crisis one makes me think of dear dave and the joke about comparing the human race to an Ex GF so hopefully it's just not full of break up jokes like that

3. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Ooh, I've only just noticed today's news update. It sounds like a fun-packed series'. Excitement mode is now officially engaged. :-)

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Starbug and Landing bay

[​IMG]

5. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

I want one!

6. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Seems we might be getting new shots of Starbug taking off/landing. Wonder if that will include a shot of the ship flying down the entryway and leaving through the cargo bay doors as well. I bet they will look great in HD too.

7. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I have to admit I'm really digging the new Starbug model, while it is a bit different it's not jarringly so!

8. Ant E

I wanna see it crash!!!!

9. Ant E

Noticed Pete Tyler (SFX cameraman during RD 1-7) has criticised the model!!

10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I liked the first picture they released, but I'm less keen on how the new Starbug looks here. The legs seem a bit wrong - do the front ones sit too high? No, looking at it again I think they're set too low, and they used to be wider apart. The proportion of it just seems different. Maybe that's being ultra picky though, it will probably still look great in action.

11. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

I've been watching RD since 1990 and I didn't even notice the "new" model was any different at all. I still don't notice any differences just looking at that photo, I'd probably have to see them side by side to pick out the differences.

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Have I missed something? How does a droid steal the body parts of a human? With the exception of some drastic limb-severing, that is.

Yeah, it's not as squat as the original - something looks wrong like you say. Not keen on this new model at all.

Knocked up this comparison. Wanted to embed it, but I'm getting the usual fecking message telling me I can't, despite Talkie Toaster managing to do it!! The sooner this dinosaur of a forum gets updated the better!!

Old / New comparison

13. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I kinda think nostalgia might be at play because while there are some differences, I do think it's a really nice model that keeps spirit of the original. Hell seeing the model better I am more comfortable about the smaller feet....something I was iffy about regarding the crashed photo. I personally really like it...

14. Callisto252

Yes just noticed those posts on the Model Unit's facebook page - he says something about how the original model photographed well from every angle and how the new model is not as elegant. Guess we'll have to reserve judgement on how well it 'photographs' until we've seen it in action.

Maybe it just steals his hair like in Bodysnatcher! Not exactly what I'd call a 'body part' though... Or maybe it turns out that the deranged droid is Kryten - after all, he's been operating on Lister for years and has already removed several of his organs :shock:

15. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

To me it looks like a fine model - not identical to previous ones, but when have they ever been? Red Dwarf itself and Blue Midget have been through enough revisions...

I guess the chap in question (being a modelling pro) has a far more nuanced view than me!

16. Callisto252

So it seems the new Starbug has been built by the Magic Camera Company, who built the original Red Dwarf and Blue Midget models, while the original Starbug was built by (*looks it up*) Alan Marshall and the BBC effects team. So it's got a good pedigree, but it's just a bit different to how it was before. You're right JMC, when has anything in Red Dwarf ever been consistent?!

17. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

The original Starbug looked absolutely brilliant, but this one looks a bit... chunky in this shot? A bit like a Fisher Price toy (basically because of the legs)? But in any case, it's still boding very well and we've not seen any finished shots yet. It still has the main elements down (unlike the "pencil" Red Dwarf) and shouldn't spoil it (after all, how many iterations of Kryten have we seen?).

Looking forward to how it looks in HD.

18. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Me likey!

19. Ant E

Episode 1 title released:

TWENTICA

20. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant