RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Surely you'd notice the word Twentica though, if it was used in the episode? Perhaps it was not actually mentioned at all? (guess you'd better not confirm or deny that, I'm only speculating!). I wonder if it's a mystery that will only be resolved in the last two unknown scenes.

2. Callisto252

New tweet from Richard Naylor. For those who can't look it up, he says 'Red Dwarf XI delivered this morning' (yesterday)

I hope there will be a trailer soon! For Series X, did the trailer first appear online or on Dave?

3. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Both - it appeared on the Dave website/Facebook page.

4. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Nope don't recall it. The ep I saw (which was the sixth episode of series 11) felt very much like an end of series episode!!!

5. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I don't buy that alterative America theory.

Twentica sounds to me more like a creature's name, or a corporation/company.... :?

6. Callisto252

That was my first thought, and from what Ant just said perhaps the America speculation is wide of the mark. I still think there's a chance the title could be paying homage to the film Gattaca, which is all about a society divided along the lines of whether a person is genetically enhanced or not, quite a Dwarfy concept.

7. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

8. Pembers

Pembers Deck Sergeant

Aboard the Twentica?

9. Callisto252

Nice! I was hoping we'd get another titbit today. I wonder whether this is from the first one they recorded - the set reports said the location footage for that episode was shot in the place with all the pipes (picture previously tweeted by Richard Naylor) and the first storyboard picture seems to match that.

Also could it be a time-travel episode? - Kryten seems very certain about the timing of that asteroid storm!

10. FeeBee

FeeBee Deck Sergeant

Panels 5 and 6 make me laugh XD classic Rimmer. Doesn't want any of them but also doesn't want to be alone.

11. Callisto252

Something else I've only just noticed - this must be the episode where Rimmer is promoted to officer.

Edit: Hmm thinking about it again, perhaps not. He also calls himself 'acting Senior Officer' in Legion. Strange that he does that though, when he's such a stickler for rules - after all, in Holoship he introduces himself as 'second technician'.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

He is the highest ranking member of the crew, and since the officers were all wiped out, he would be the 'acting' officer.

That way he can accommodate his penchant as stickler for the rules hence his always referring to himself as 'acting officer' not 'officer' and indulge his power hungry arrogant side too.

13. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I'm quite encouraged and almost excited by this. I'm hoping those scenes are done with real sets and not the horrible bluescreen, but the action and dialogue suggests the style may be shifting away from the silliness and back to the more drama-based stuff.

How amazing would it be if these next two series were actually good? I mean really, classic-Dwarf good?

That answers my question. I'm ashamed to ask this, but who is Richard Naylor? Is it Doug's son / brother?

14. Callisto252

It's his son.

Ah yes, I guess he would be sticking to the letter of the law with that title. I was just intrigued by a reply to one of Ganymede & Titan's tweets, by Dan Kay (who I believe was a producer on XI/XII) - he wonders how no one's spotted the most interesting part of this storyboard. I thought it might be the officer thing, but no.

15. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I wonder what it is we don't see. I eyeballed every panel I dunno what it is we are missing...

16. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Ta.

17. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

What do you mean? Why do you think we're missing something? They walk along a corridor, a ship quake occurs, Lister suggests they split into pairs to investigate. I don't see any reason to think we're missing something (other than the rest of the episode).

18. Callisto252

I wonder if it's significant that Rimmer's the one at the front holding the bazookoid, and that he doesn't need anyone to pair up with him (unlike, say, in DNA). Has something happened to make him less cowardly than usual?

19. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Maybe him holding the bazookoid is significant, but I'm not sure his refusal to pair up with anyone is a sign that he's willing to 'go it alone', more that he simply doesn't trust or feel safe with any one of the crew.

20. Callisto252

It's good fun to speculate though! Maybe the significant thing is not that Rimmer has the bazookoid, but that Lister doesn't have it. If Lister was incapacitated in some way, I could imagine Rimmer would put his cowardice to one side and step up to the mark (as he did at the end of Out of Time). Which leads me to wonder whether this might be the missing body parts episode - God knows which bits would be missing, but he seems unusually quiet...