RDXI Countdown to Series XI

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, May 31, 2016.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

I agree kryten looks odd here, it will take some getting used too.

2. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

The excitement is gradually building!

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

kryten looks like he could be animated out of clay ;p

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Kryten does look a bit strange, but I think that might be the angle and facial expression. I'm sure we got a couple of early pictures of Robert in mask and he looked very good. An improvement on X definitely.

His chest plate looks more rubbery than metal now...

Have they lost the shoulder hoops? Can't really tell in that picture but they're not sprouting out of the shoulder plates themselves like X at least, so maybe they've been relocated back towards the neck, which looked better in my view.

I didn't actually hate Kryten's appearance in X by the way, despite my comments above.

5. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Well, what excitement I had building up inside me from the storyboard has been well and truly squashed with this God-awful pic! Seriously, what in the name of all that is Holy is going on with Kryten here??? This has actually made me slightly nauseous. They could have used a stand-in for this pic and I wouldn't be any the wiser. And look at the size of his friggin hands!! They must be using the inflatable ones from series 8, for some reason.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Nice picture, but Kryten's mask is bizarre. Robert's pulling a funny face, but even so it still looks strange. Maybe the camera just caught a bad angle or it was a bit of an off day for the mask makers. We'll just have to wait and see if it looks this way all through season 11. I really hope this isn't how it's going to look throughout the season though - Kryten's mask in 10 was a big distraction throughout. The other three look mostly all right, though they're obviously all getting on in years. Craig in particular looks as though he's aged quite a bit since the last season.

It's nice that the publicity machine seems to be coming into full swing now. Hopefully we'll be getting our first trailers in the not too distant future.

7. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I suppose, if we were to give them the benefit of the doubt, we could argue that because Robert will be looking quite a bit different to the Robert of 25 years ago, the mask they fit to his face is bound to look different too. Even if they had the 'classic' mask that we all know and love, there's no way it would fit him now. He's fatter and older. Things have dropped, drooped, sagged and grown in size, so the new mask has to accommodate Robert's older, fatter, saggier face.

8. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

He speaks very highly of you Billy.

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Much better angle here! Everyone can calm down a little now.

[​IMG]

10. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Oh my...

Well it's just one picture, hey? The mask was perfectly fine at the recording I went to, maybe a little less angular than previously but it didn't bother me in the slightest. I was more bothered about the light and shiny suit, but it looks quite different in the released picture, much darker and more rubbery.

Perhaps this is a bit cynical, but do you think they chose a weird-looking picture of Kryten on purpose? It's certainly generating publicity!

11. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

Who knows. Maybe it was down to poor choice from photographer or whoever gave green light for that particular picture. But of course the success of Red Dwarf is down to Kryten's face lol

12. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

Yes, sorry. Mr Llewellyn, if you're reading, I didn't mean to be rude. I could have just said the old mask wouldn't fit the new you and left it at that.

Ah, now that's more like it. Excitement restored.

PS. Stephen. How come you can always embed images when nobody else can???

PPS. Now it's letting me embed too. Very odd.

13. AndrewCFrancis

AndrewCFrancis Skutter

Looks like they airbrushed it in a strange way... Or this is the first episode of Jim Henson's Red Dwarf Babies.

14. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Its probably shots of each of them composited into one picture

15. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

It's just an all-round terrible picture, for all the reason Callisto points out. And like Hollywood Cloud said, it would have been much better with a real background like a set or a location shot. I hate it when they make Red Dwarf look so damn polished!! It's one of the biggest reasons I hated series X.

16. Diet_coke

Diet_coke Science Officer

I do love the early day feel of red dwarf 1 and 2, the set designs and silly effects, it was very nice.
    However that being said, I do understand the need to make a to show for 2016 and not the late 80s/90s.
    I also understand that need to make a show that may appeal to new *younger* audience and not just us fans of old.

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

To me I feel that from an aesthetic perspective that the worst thing about series X was how flat the cinematography looked, paerticularly when you look at the use of dynamic lighting that some of the past seasons looked. The flat cinematography made everything look more like it's being shot on a set which is something Red Dwarf has in the past done a good job on hiding within it's budget constraints.

18. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Here was me thinking it was a comedy not an art exhibition? :roll:

19. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Correct!

20. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Excited for today's news update - two times in as many days! Really being spoiled this week :-D

Edit: Sounds like it will be another photo - wonder whether it will provoke as much discussion as yesterday's! Speaking of which, has anyone noticed how the composition of that picture mirrors the logo, with the bazookoid tilted at the same angle as the ellipse, surrounded by a circle. Deliberate?