RDXII Countdown to Series XII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Yeah I expect so, a 'Crit Cop' it looks like, probably some sort of Mech.

I now accept that 'Cured' and the 'No Criticism' episodes are separate. This one is provably M-Corp.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Might be a Series 3000, the ones that looked like humans. I note that he's wearing a wedding-ring, our first suggestion of Mechs marrying.

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Based on the bright pink uniform, I'm going to definitely put Cat's glasses in this episode. Cat gets glasses and for some reason can only get stupid ones, and the crew can't criticise him.

4. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Helen George, fab!!

[​IMG]

5. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

Article on the Johnny Vegas episode with Robert interview here

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Can't place where she is. Maybe Cured? She looks like an Angel from Demons and Angels. But then what is she, a real human?

7. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Think this episode might be M-Corp, judging by the lighting. Could this be the one with the software update? If so, then perhaps she's a next-generation version of Holly? This was definitely recording 5 though, as there was a rather large hint dropped in one of the set reports which meant that I guessed Helen George was involved ages ago.

The one I'm most worried about is the Johnny Vegas episode, going off the description in that Radio Times article (and also the slightly wacky costume). I think this was the second, 'difficult' recording, where the set reports raised concerns about where the episode was going - although everyone seemed to be OK with it in the end.

Oh well, it's pointless judging something till you've seen it - and there's not very long to wait now! Really excited for this series!!

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I'm judging the smeg out of everything I've got. I don't think she's M-Corp because Johnny Vegas is M-Corp and they wouldn't have two guest stars in one episode, would they? She looks human so I'm wondering what the excuse is. She doesn't look like a computer-woman on a screen, she's stood in front of a portal-thing and full-body. I think Cured because she looks all "good", and Cured is the space-station with no evil. But then, does that means we've found a human after all this time? Why wouldn't it be full of skeletons like all the other space-stations.

I'm worried about both M-Corp and Cured. Because they're both "space-station where [weird morality thingy]". And I don't know what that would mean plot-wise. I assume they go onto the M-Corp ship, someone criticises Cat's new glasses, then a Critcop comes out and arrests them, then what. Would it be like Justice-world. Or do they run and get chased by the Critcop. I can't see Johnny Vegas doing much chasing. Curing evil, again I don't know what that means, it's still an empty spaceship. Right? Unless death is evil and they cured death so they're still there.

9. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

[​IMG][​IMG] Got to be the same episode.

10. Callisto252

That's what I thought, only I assumed that episode would be M-Corp because of the (vaguely visible) M-Corp logo on Lister's top. I was thinking that the 'no criticism' episode must be Timewave - OK, the title doesn't seem to have much connection to what we know about the episode, but apparently (well, judging by comments I've seen on here and elsewhere) even those who attended the recording aren't sure which episode title matches the one they saw.

Or have I missed something that connects Johnny Vegas with the M-Corp episode?

11. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

In my estimation M-Corp is the no-criticism episode, and his uniform says Critcop. I can't quite make out the logo on Lister's top. I can make out an MC, which could be MCORP or JMC.

12. Callisto252

I'm pretty sure I can make out a hyphen and further letters after the 'C'. Also, that's not a JMC logo - it looks like the same logo appears on the machine behind Lister, and it seems to be M-shaped. There are some other letters just behind the guitar, and they do look a bit like JMC, but it's too blurred to tell really.

I wonder if M-Corp has somehow taken over the JMC, a mega corporation buying up lots of smaller companies - a bit like the Buy n' Large company in Wall-E (which incidentally has always reminded me of the Garbage World section of Better than Life). Maybe the software update causes the JMC on-board computer to be replaced with the new M-Corp one?

I don't know though - Timewave as a title seems to fit more with the idea of a really old Lister.

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I am gonna take a guess and say thats the one people see at the screening...

14. Rageofangels

Rageofangels First Technician

Sunday 17th Sept the old RD is being aired, so hopefully that will be when the trailers will begin!

15. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I haven't really read much in this thread since before each episode's synopsis was released as I am trying to avoid spoilers but I thought I would write that now that it is just another month away I am getting really excited for series 12. I know I have said this a few times but it is great that for the first time since the early 90s there are two Red Dwarf series with just a year's space in between broadcast!

I know series 11 was still not totally as phenomenal as the series 2-6 peak years but to be as fantastic as it is, is really impressive. And Give and Take is the finest episode since series 6 for sure in my mind now.

If series 12 ends up being superior to even series 11 then that would be a great achievement. I know there is meant to be one dud episode that wasn't so well received - hey even series 11 had the less strong Can of Worms - but there are at least three episodes from the set reports that were hailed as superb! The other two were seen as very strong too. So it is like Christmas come early for me in October.

From the sound of it on Doug Naylor's twitter etc. series 12 might well not even be the last we see of Red Dwarf ever. If series 12 can be excellent too and Doug can keep coming up with new ideas then I'm obviously all for it. That would be incredible for RD to carry on past its 30 year anniversary. Would there be an announcement of another back to back series 13 and 14 at next year's Dimension Jump I wonder or will there be another few years gap again which wouldn't be totally bad if there were a couple of new series not too long away?

Wenceslas likes this.
  16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I think the finale Skipper is going to be a plot-significant cliffhanger that could function as a last-episode-ever, but the cast have all said they'd like to keep doing more, no one has suggested XII is going to be the end on purpose. So Skipper won't be like the end of Blake's 7 or anything. They intend to keep going, so I assume there will be a XIII maybe around 2020.

17. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I reckon I agree with you. Possibly M-Corp features in more than one episode. Timewave could be Doug having a stab at software giants forcing updates on us. Like M-Corp has bought JMC and they're scaremongering that Red Dwarf must update or else.

Which makes me pick holes in this speculative plotline already. They're three million years in the future so all this stuff already happened, it must be some automated thingamahoo that detects Red Dwarf is using an outdated OS. It can't come from within the ship because surely this would have happened a long time ago.

OR maybe this is like the Y2K virus, but a Y3M one.

18. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

19. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Where are you?

20. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

• No, I reckon it's real.
    • I hope so. If so, Timewave or Skipper.
    • No. Red Dwarf doesn't seem to do recurring characters.
    • No, the actual programme will be.
    • I don't think we'll get information as to her whereabouts, but I do hope she'll be mentioned.
    • Probably.
    • Almost certainly.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017