RDXII Countdown to Series XII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, Jun 22, 2017.

1. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Id be more excited if Dougs use of fan service nostalgia didn't scare me when it comes to this series :-(

Part of me wishes Doug wouldn't try and replicate series 1 stuff 26 years later when the cast are much older and they don't have the material to replicate it well anyway. (that H is ridiculous)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

It may look ridiculous to you, but I like it like this ;-)

Seriously, there's nothing to be worried about, for this episode at least.

FeeBee likes this.
  3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

Whats he gonna do walk in and nostalgically say "you are on report Mi'lado" and there will be a huge laugh because its nostalgic to series 1?

Sadly i could see that happening.

4. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]
    Wasn't that impressed by XI but i can still say the production values continue to look impressive.

FeeBee likes this.
  5. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I think I can safely say that the nostalgia element is secondary to the plot (and entirely justified).

Ooh, brilliant, another pic!!

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

[​IMG]

FeeBee likes this.
  7. Zombie Smurf

Zombie Smurf Supply Officer

These photos are great. I have been refreshing Twitter for whole morning. :-D

8. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Is that Butler directly behind him? Oh I hope it is and he's been put in his place.

FeeBee likes this.
  9. Zombie Smurf

Zombie Smurf Supply Officer

Nope. Butler had Kryten's series X body, which looked really better, than body of this fellow Mr. Clean.

10. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Ah yeah but Mech's can change their 'suits'.

FeeBee likes this.
  11. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Richard Naylor has confirmed these are from 4 separate episodes on Twitter.

Tweet

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

These new pictures have got me really excited about the upcoming new season. Especially that Rimmer one up there.

PeeJayHarvey, FeeBee and Dismembers like this.
  13. Shroud

Shroud Console Officer

I hope they do a trailer during a dwarf marathon again. That was kinda fun last time. Remember Queel?

14. Mohinderence

Mohinderence Third Technician

And I was going to guess that the Rimmer and Lister pictures were from the same episode. Very interesting. I'm hoping Jim and Bexley finally turn up but I worry that everything is a bit too panto with the show now for them to do it justice.

FeeBee likes this.
  15. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

I'm most intrigued by the Rimmer shot (do you see what I did there?). That is also a very series 1 / 2 styled backdrop behind him.

Mind you, we had that for a scene in series 8, and look how that turned out.

16. Mohinderence

Mohinderence Third Technician

There are plenty of theories I could throw at the Rimmer picture and they would all be wrong. But I'll say them anyway!

1) Rimmer finally passes his exams fairly. Why he would be in old school attire is up for debate.
    2) It's an alternate timeline, perhaps where Rimmer died saving the crew and was rewarded with a promotion.
    3) Re-visiting Series VIII to provide answers on the which Rimmer is it situation.
    4) Won't happen but I always liked the idea of Captain Hollister returning and basically just wanting to hang out with the boys from the Dwarf. Rimmer pretends to have achieved promotion to try and stick it to him. I can't help but feel like this is another Trojan situation and Rimmer is keeping up a pretense to stick it to somebody. But why he would go for the old school look is beyond me.

Really can't make sense of it "but it'll be a lot of fun finding out".

17. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

It should be clarified:

- Lister has got both his arms, so this doesn't really match up with Future Echoes. Not to say that he couldn't put on a fake fake arm, but he's certainly not got one on there.
    - The little logo on Lister's shirt appears to read 'M-Corp'. Yes, like the leaked episode title.

R.I.P. 2000 and FeeBee like this.
  18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

They've chosen some wonderful pictures to release. What's great about them is how they all immediately bring up so many questions and make you want to know what on earth is happening. That Cat one in particular makes you wonder what the heck is going on.

19. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

Honestly, I feel like that was one of the more clever things in Series 8. It was a brief, cool easter egg and they didn't belabor it.

Y'know, like they belabored every third joke.

Incidentally, I'm calling dibs on that Rimmer photo as my avatar before anyone else takes it. His costumes are one of my favorite points to obsess over, and I've been waiting all my life for them to find an excuse to bring back an old one. Or rather, find an excuse to bring back and old one and then actually do it. I can't believe they couldn't just dig out one of the old tunics for Blue, if not the Series I uniform proper, but I suspect it's more a case of the relevant people not thinking of it.

20. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

More than Orphan Orange?