RDXII Countdown to Series XII

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Callisto252, Jun 22, 2017.

1. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Good ol' TV is a strange beast but where it concerns schedules etc this would have been decided before production even began as to when it would air. As someone pointed out, they are trying to appeal to the widest viewership possible so the Autumn is (and typically always has been) the start of the "TV" season. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the producers aren't reading this forum every day and changing the schedule because we might want it put out earlier. They need to attract new fans too so the Autumn slot fills that requirement (for summer people are away/doing summer stuff and winter the "big" shows are on like X-Factor and I'm a Celebrity... and realistically RD can't compete with those.

2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I wonder if the online "previews" are coming back or if that was deemed to be too much trouble.

3. DivineVarod

DivineVarod Catering Officer

What caused the trouble?

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I remember confusion about what day they were coming out. Twentica was online 7 days before tv, so we expected that to be the pattern. But then it changed to 8 days, I assume because they didn't want the new online preview to go out the same day as the tv broadcast. So fans were refreshing UKTV all day trying to watch Samsara and wondering where it was. Then there was another episode that went online a day early, a few people watched it and posted IT'S ONLINE A DAY EARLY!, but then UKTV realised their error and pulled it. So there were a small group of Dwarfers who watched it for the couple of hours it was up, then the rest of fandom was disgruntled.

5. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Haven't heard a thing about online previews this time. If memory serves they advertised that quite a lot in the run up to the previous series but there's been no mention so far.

6. DivineVarod

That was problematic, true ... at one point they announced Officer Rimmer before Give and Take, so I was promoting that, only to look an idiot when it was changed half an hour or so later ...

I thought it was said a deal was signed for both series to be previewed like this? But not sure.

7. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

Yeah, its going to , the article on the Edinburgh screening said the UKTV Play format would be kept for XII.

8. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

I wish the UKTV Play had it in HD. But of course as an American I have to resort to downloading a UKTV Play rip when they find their way online, which is even more compressed.

This gorgeous HD program and I have to watch it in mediocre SD quality on the big premiere. Having it in HD over SD would make a big difference with that kind of compression.

9. "Christmas rubbish"

"Christmas rubbish" Flight Co-Ordinator

Surely Doug Naylor has little option but to resign over this whole affair?

10. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

You're complaining about the quality of your illegal viewing of the ep?

You don't "have to resort" to that at all. You will be able to purchase and view the episodes legally in HD - it's your own lookout if you're choosing to watch a low-quality "rip" instead of doing so.

ClareGC and FeeBeeBells like this.
  11. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

12. "Christmas rubbish"

Good post Ron.

Looking forward to this!

13. DivineVarod

Wondering if it will be October 12? Going from the "01 02" in the picture? It's a Thursday. And the 12th series starting on the 12th would be a great touch ...

14. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

I am a little bummed its not September I am out of the country about 2 weeks start of november so will probably miss a couple episodes

15. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I am biased about October being the best month of the year. Hoping that Australia gets the new series faster then the last series.

16. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

But wait.....there's more.

Super exciting. I guess Cured/Here No Evil is obvious, sounds like the Everyone is Kryten episode is Siliconia and Mechocracy is where the machines go on strike.

Not sure which one could involve Cat needing glasses. Rimmer looking for a better dimension could be Skipper cos of the Ace connection.

The ship software upgrade being life or death is possibly TimeWave?

Roll on October.

17. "Christmas rubbish"

So is ace returning?

18. Snow Cloud

Snow Cloud Console Officer

I hope not! There is only one Three letter name then Rimmer I want to return and its not Ace!

19. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I reckon he does but I don't know. Going by the episode title 'Skipper' and Rimmer searching alternative dimensions for better versions of himself I'd say its very possible.

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I could see Ace possibly making a cameo in the last episode since i suspect there will be much more going on in that episode to be just an Ace episode.

its new Doug Naylor red dwarf after all, there is gonna be loads of things going on in that one episode.

I wouldn't put it past Doug to find a way to get chris in the wig again, although id rather Doug didn't and just left ace alone because bringing him back is just getting to be tired fan service.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017