Craig Charles - New Presenter Of The Gadget Show

Discussion in 'PARALLEL DIMENSIONS' started by pad_ehh, Feb 17, 2017.

1. pad_ehh

pad_ehh Catering Officer

Craig will be replacing Jason on the Channel 5 programme which is re-re-launching later in the year.

2. Sarah

Sarah Console Officer

I occasionally watch the gadget show with son's.I think he will be a great addition:-D

3. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

Exciting times! :-D
    Anyone know when the new series airs? I read somewhere early March.

4. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I used to watch it quite a lot, a few years back. The presenters always came across as fun and jovial, so the show should fit Craig Charles well.

And certainly won't take up as much of his time as Corrie used to, if there's any more Red Dwarf after series XII.

5. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Haven't watched TGS is a while but this news has got me interested. Will be fun watching Craig presenting a show out his comfort zone* and bring some humour to it.

*I'm only assuming this as he doesn't seem like a "gadgets" guy.

6. mellow_n_dark

mellow_n_dark First Technician

Craig who?

7. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

I've not watched The Gadget Show since its first few years, but I'll be developing a renewed interest in cutting edge tech now, haha.

The new series starts this Friday! (7pm, Channel 5)

8. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

All I want to know is...

Is this a good idea knowing Craig's predilection for destroying props when on the Red Dwarf set ????

Could be an expensive show for them.

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

They must have a bloody good insurance plan for the show and him I must assume!

10. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

11. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

Watched it, not keen on the new format, didn't seem as polished and professional as it used to be, a bit all over the place to be honest.

Thankfully Craig didn't destroy anything, well, only something on purpose with the blendtech, so, they probably did that to try and avoid him destroying other tech, I am amazed the nintendo switch survived his sweaty mitts.

I am curious as to where Jason has gone though, he was brilliant on that show.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I preferred the format of the old show too. It used to be like 2 or 3 mates chatting (the one presenting a specific item taking a lead) and a bit of banter.

The banter and friendliness is still there but it's all centred around Craig as a presenter interviewing the others (he even has a central desk, although he's not always behind it), and it just doesn't flow as well.

I guess it's partly because they appear to have created a specific presenter role for Craig, rather than presentation being shared with the tech journalists (is that the correct term?) on the show.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it and Mr Charles did a good job (as did the others). Hopefully they'll relax a bit more and things will work better when they get used to it. It would be nice if they relaxed the roles too, but I'm thinking Craig might not be comfortable or quite qualified to do some of the on-site review stuff too.

13. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

I personally thought it was a huge step backwards in presentation, I preferred the old style of all the presenters just talking about stuff as if they were mates comparing tech.

I though the bit where Craig was scribbling things down and saying "I need to write this sort of stuff down" was a big failed attempt at putting in some humour, I hate to say it but I don't think Craig Charles is right for the program, or at least not in the format they are scripting the presentation for him.

14. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

Possibly in the minority here but I think the new format worked really well and Craig's job of "presenter not tech head" is a great idea.

Like any show, when the format changes and there's new presenters it can take a little while to settle in so to speak. I reckon by episode 3/4 it will be a bit smoother.

Of course I could be totally wrong and Craig only does one series and it goes back to the old format :?

Overall, I liked it. Bring on episode 2.

15. kry102001

kry102001 Supply Officer

I have watched Gadget Show since episode 1 series 1 all those years ago, alongside Red Dwarf it is the only show I have watched religiously, I have seen it go through numerous changes, presenter alterations, but, this just didn't seem as slick as it had become.

It had nothing to do with Craig, he is a good presenter, he was brilliant in Robot Wars, loved him in CyberZone (if you can remember that) and he is hilarious when doing voice over in Tikashi's Castle.

In my opinion it was just all over the shop with segments given some crazy name, like the wallop thing bit, which was totally pointless.

I will continue to watch it as I am a massive tech head and always enjoy seeing new tech being reviewed.

16. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

Wait... kry10. That name means something.

I can't remember anything else

17. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Do the words 'raffle tickets' ring any bells?

18. Ant the Dragon

Ant the Dragon Flight Co-Ordinator

An interesting article. Thank you for sharing. :P