RDXII Craig Charles's Acting

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Jod, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Jod

Jod Third Technician

Am I alone in thinking Craig's recent portrayal of Lister lacks something? It just doesn't seem like the Lister of old, more like a cross between Lloyd from Coronation Street and Charles himself.
    Some of the sharp scouse accent has been blunted as well. That broad Liverpudlian accent added so much to the gags. He is more like a kindly grandad now than Lister. The mannerisms have changed as well as the delivery. I think some of it is down to Naylor's writing. (Never as funny after Grant's departure, for me.) Without good gags to work with it must be difficult. I'm hoping the chirpy and wisecracking Lister returns for XII.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

Oh, boy, does 1997 hold some sad surprises for you.

3. Jod

Jod Third Technician

Oops :-p. You probably knew what I meant.

4. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

It's because Lister/Charles is like twice the age he was back then. Our personalities change as we get older. We also lose our accents sometimes when we're put in with other accents. Lister doesn't have any other Scousers to bounce off.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  5. Saint Nikki

Saint Nikki Console Officer

Do you have a hat @Jod?

6. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

Welcome to the forum @Jod

7. Jod

Jod Third Technician

True, but I still feel his performances are a little lackluster.

8. Jod

Jod Third Technician

Decembers likes this.
  9. Jod

Jod Third Technician

A hat?

10. Saint Nikki

Saint Nikki Console Officer

A hat!

11. Jod

Jod Third Technician

Erm.

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

I personally think all the Dwarfers in Back to Earth were a little lacklustre, less so in series 10 and then in series 11 I thought they were pretty much as comical and supremely portrayed as they were in the show's late 88 to 1993 heyday. I really think since Red Dwarf was revived back in 2009 the acting has got better and better and more and more like the golden age of the show.

Granted Red Dwarf's writing is never going to be absolutely one hundred per cent as amazing as it was back when Rob Grant was on board so that is why maybe the acting is similarly not totally completely as incredible it used to be.

But the acting is there or thereabouts as good as it used to be now IMHO and a significant improvement on both Back to Earth and even series 10.

In terms of Lister's accent I personally still think it sounds Scouse just perhaps with other regions mixed in but still pretty Scouse.

13. Jod

Jod Third Technician

A fair assessment. I enjoyed 11 more than I did 10 and the show seems to be improving again. Maybe they were just plain old out of practice? And now back in the groove more.
    Lister still sounds scouse, I agree, but with a bit of edge taken off.

Today's Fish... likes this.
  14. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Is it any surprise that a man who's spent thirty years in space with only Rimmer, Cat, Kryten and Holly for company has had his accent blunted somewhat?

BadOleSantabot likes this.
  15. Jod

Jod Third Technician

I don't think it was intentional, though. But like I said in my original post, it isn't just that - the mannerisms and character have changed a lot.

16. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

Miss him putting the cigarette in his ear to hold it. Maybe I'm easily amused but that always made me laugh. Did Craig used to smoke and quit?

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  17. Jod

Jod Third Technician

Yeah, that kind of thing :-P. He has definitely been a heavy smoker, not sure if he still is.

18. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

I was wondering if its something they are trying to avoid putting in the show these days since peoples attitude towards smoking has changed (and for good reason) or even if smoking is banned at the studios they film at.

19. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

A smoking ban in the studios wouldn't matter - you can get non-tobacco "cigarettes" for theatrical use (e.g., when performing a play in a no-smoking theatre).

20. Jod

Jod Third Technician

To be honest, although it was alluded to that Lister was a smoker, I don't recall him sitting there smoking endless cigarettes.