RDXII Craig Charles's Acting

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Jod, Sep 17, 2017.

1. BadOleSantabot

BadOleSantabot Deck Sergeant

Well, maybe not a chain smoker but he was SURE worried about having them, in series one anyway. The smoking thing is minor actually, but him putting it in his ear was just..... funny to me. Smoking itself is NOT funny, its pretty much killed my Mother and is killing me as we speak. Nothing funny about that at all, but the gesture he used parking it in his ear....... :lol:

Jod and FeeBeeBells like this.
  2. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

When was the last time Lister smoked a cigarette? I remember it in The End and nothing else.

3. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

The posts above mention him sticking a cigarette in his ear, this would have been 'Holoship' but actually smoking a tab I don't think I can recall he ever did after the inventory count with Rimmer when he got half a cigarette for holomgized puddings or something.

4. BadOleSantabot

This doesn't really count but isn't there a "flashback" scene in White Hole of him smoking and putting it in his ear to shoot pool?

Also....... to beat a dead horse ...... totally to pulp ..... he has a confederate battle flag on his jacket too if I remember correctly.

FeeBeeBells likes this.
  5. dibbleysmeghead

dibbleysmeghead Second Technician

It's called getting old
    Welcome @Jod

6. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

@sundayforsammy @RealBigOleDummy There's deffo' a cigarette in the ear in White Hole's flashback scene, but I mean aboard Red Dwarf. That inventory counting scene is Future Echoes, I think (?).

7. Decembers

Decembers Deck Sergeant

I think he smokes briefly whilst interacting with The Inquisitor, around the time he tricks him into killing himself.

FeeBeeBells and BadOleSantabot like this.
  8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

I've just remembered he /eats/ a cigarette in Holoship, suggesting he's still smoking if they're still lying around.

FeeBeeBells and BadOleSantabot like this.
  9. BadOleSantabot

Yep, lights his cigarette then sets the rope on fire with his zippo.

10. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

When I think about it, and my memory may be a little bad now but I do think RIMMER smokes more in Red Dwarf than Lister does. I seem to remember on a few occasions Rimmer has a cigar or two, while this is a bit different from ciggies it still is smoking non the less.

11. FeeBeeBells

FeeBeeBells Deck Sergeant

Ace Rimmer smokes and when Rimmer body swaps with Lister he smokes a lot of ciggies. A cigar in Better Than Life and I think there are a number of other occasions that I cannot fully remember which episode they belong to.

12. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

He smokes with Ace Rimmer in Dimension Jump.

There's also references to smoking cigars as recently as Series XI.

13. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Balance of power
    White hole (in flash back)

14. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

15. Abe but more Christmassy and all

Abe but more Christmassy and all Deck Sergeant

The inventory scene is in Balance of Power.

16. jamespotter

jamespotter Skutter

Yes agreed but then maybe there should be a contrast in his character as he's the last human alive and so susceptible to development whereas the other characters are unlikely to change that much due to the fact we have a cat (shallow creature) , a mechanoid (bar learning to lie and be assertive - breaking his programming) and a hologram. Maybe it's intentional but I can't help think that Craig's acting softened after his stint in Corrie.

17. neilold frankincense and myrrh

neilold frankincense and myrrh Flight Co-Ordinator

lister talks into a fag packet when he's mimicking the hologram in holoship

18. neilold frankincense and myrrh

neilold frankincense and myrrh Flight Co-Ordinator

i think lister acts better emotionally than just his normal self, he's actually pretty monotone and dull when he's just talking normally, it's only when he says stuff like 'he's just wiped out rimmer and the cat' that he actually seems to have any kind of real emotion, though my favorite scene of him is when he knows holly is about to be wiped in quueg, he just has an emotional look on his face that is silent, yet says twenty times more than the drawn out mawkish crap he showed when moping at kochanski's grave

19. Today's Fish...

Today's Fish... Third Technician

Good thread, Jod. As a Liverpudlian myself, of similar age to Craig, I know my accent has blunted as I grew older. I was more like Lister in the 80's and 90's as he was in classic Dwarf, and I'm now more like he is in Dave-era Dwarf.

To be honest I believe the reason that, on the whole, RD can never fully recapture its S1-S6 magic is because I'm a much different person now to 20 or so years ago (although I will still watch the show as much as possible).

I definitely think there is something in the 'out of practice' thing as well. I actually enjoy Back To Earth but I think the actors have grown back into their roles from BTE through XII.

Decembers likes this.
  20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

I think Craigs acting has matured since he started corrie so you do see some of that in his performance.

Craig is probably the only one who doesn't get abit too broad sometimes when trying to be funny.