Cramming it all in

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Gluben, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

I think the thing I'm most worried about is how to cover everything Dwarfy in three episodes whilst still having a decent storyline. I know that each series tried to begin by re-introducing viewers to the show's concepts, but this might be even harder given that the show's been off the air since 1999.

I mean, you've got to cover the disappearance of two Hollies, Kochanski, the presence or non-presence of the Skutters and Talkie Toaster, Red Dwarf itself, Starbug, Blue Midget, Rimmer's hard light form, the end of "Only the Good...", and much more. That's a lot of stuff to cover. And it has to be done with respect to actors who aren't taking part. I do think it's a shame we won't see Chloe Annett, Norman Lovett or Hattie Hayridge, or even the contribution of Rob Grant or maybe Ed Bye (unless they've been lying and kept it all very very secret from us), because I may always feel like the show will be missing something, and it wouldn't be complete. Granted, it's incredibly hard to achieve a complete reunion, and we can moan forever about what's in and what's out, but I hope they do at least acknowledge all of that gracefully.

2. drumjay

drumjay Catering Officer Fan Club Team

I don't think we need any explanation of what has gone before. Sure you want new viewers, but you don't need to hand feed the fans that already exist. Holly has been explained already with the bunk room pictures, he's broken. That's all we need. If the rest of the script and visual information we've already had match what is come, then I'll be happy with anything that isn't explained by the word.

3. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

I'm sure they can weave into the story those past Red Dwarf elements which are relevant to the plot. They are really quite competent people.

4. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Oh I don't doubt their competence. I just fear that a lot of fans may start picking it apart by saying things like "If only they had included Holly" or "It's not the same without Talkie Toaster".

5. IronMaid666

IronMaid666 Third Technician

i dont think it will take them long. i've heard that in the story that kochanski is dead (again) & that holly is malfunctioning but didn't say that if it was continuing from the end of series VIII

6. Cruel Slayer

Cruel Slayer Console Officer

You can't please all the fans all the time, but you can say 'It is what it is, so you like it or you don't!' I'm not even looking at spoilers any more. I want to go in with as few preconceptions as possible.

7. IronMaid666

that is true. i'm just so pleased that they have got back togeter to do 3 episodes. if it gets the ratings ( which it should do) then they can expand & explain a few things that they had to leave out in a new series or another mini series

8. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

What I suspect may happen first is that the 3 episodes will get edited into one 90-minute episode and shown on BBC2, maybe at Christmas. Which would be great for those who haven't seen it on Dave or DVD.

9. stevenrankin

stevenrankin Third Technician

yeah it will get loads of ratings. iut will be great and the bbc will go well we made a mistake . they will buy the specials off bbc worldwide and dave then hopefully look into commisioning another series or another special. but dave need to start advertising everywhere not just there own channel. but a lot of people do watch the uktvs channels (even if they are all re-branded) and they always advetise each others shows. but i hope the cast do promotion work like go on chat shows and that . how good would the bbc be on a saturday night if they had dr who and red dwarf on back to back. (bit geeky but still good) and i do think red dwarf should be saturday night primetime show

10. blundell07

blundell07 Third Technician

I have a feelin' they will show us a message at the start of the first episode. Tikka to Ride style!

Personally, I don't think they need to expalin everything, it wouldn't be Red Dwarf if everything made sense :lol:

11. DAN_JMC

DAN_JMC Catering Officer

Most of the series can be explained the way Holly used to at the beginning of the early series, you know "The last human on earth, a lifeform evolved from his cat and a hologram of his dead bunkmate are alone in deepspace after a radiation leak, 3 million years from home.." Kryten can just be mentioned (no need to explain hat he wasn't around for a while) the only problem is the last 2 series made such changes to the usual format that it may cause problems - Rimmer leaving to become Ace Rimmer, Kochanski arriving, the crew being brought back to life including Rimmer who is now alive, Holly being rebooted, and now Kochanski dying.

Because it ended on a cliffhanger most of these things should be explained in some way, which is almost a shame because without these points, we're basically back to the scenario of season 3-6 (minus holly) which as I said, is easy to set up in 30 seconds of airtime.

What about a series 3 star wars style scroll across the screen? :lol: This was a pretty bold way to solve some major cliffhangers and changes, and it ever did series 3 any harm. Don't see them doing it again, but I'm sure they'll have a way up their sleeves.

12. Titanbeing

Titanbeing Third Technician

I am really looking forward to this and even made sure i'm not working over the Easter weekend.
    Hopefully they will go back to the quality of Series 1-6 and first 3 episodes of 7.
    I have watched series 8 many times as well but mostly to remind myself what happened and to be honest if it wasn't Red Dwarf i'd have said it was Poor because the previous quality was so high.I mean some of the jokes could have been stolen from Are you Being Served!!!!!!!
    I think the new episodes will be high quality otherwise they wouldnt bother coming back.I'm sure Craig Charles Could have just said no because he's not doing to badly in Corrie.
    As for a new series, fingers crossed though I think A few specials is more likely like they did with Auf Weidersehn Pet.:eek:

Smoke me a Kipper.........................

13. IronMaid666

they'll need to do something like that as they left it on such a big cliffhanger at the end of series VIII. i think they'll have the first 2 or 3 mins of the first episode of the specials explaining whats happened in the 10 year gap