Cringe-worthy moments

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pbsausie, Apr 5, 2012.

1. pbsausie

pbsausie Skutter

Are there any moments in the Classic Series (l to Vlll) that had moments that were funny at the time but just make you go "How did they let that go to air?" today?

2. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

most of series 8 :?

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, I laughed loudly at most of series 8 at the time, but I now realise it was mostly awful. I don't think I was ever impressed with the dancing Blue Midgets however.

4. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

All of series 7, 8 & BtE are cringe-worthy. Always has been. Always will be.

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

According to another post you've only seen the first episode of series VIII! Many would agree with you, but at least they've seen it all to judge!

If I'd taken that stance with Red Dwarf, I would have stopped with The End, as I really didn't like it when I first saw it. In fact I DID stop watching it for a good while and only caught Red Dwarf again during Marooned which changed my mind. I later found out that if I'd stuck around for next week I would have seen Future Echoes which is probably one of the best episodes ever. Still, I got there in the end. No pun intended.

I find it the weakest series myself (although I don't dislike it overall.). Strangely the Blue Midget dance didn't bother me, but I found Rimmer's excessive salute routine made me groan inside.

Strangely I found myself cringing when Lister started his farewell speech to dream Kochanski in Back To Earth... but by the time he'd finished I found it very poignant and touching. It actually made went a long way to making the episode for me. That being said, there was much in BtE that I liked, but the slapstick scene with Kryten and the broom made me groan. On second viewing it wasn't as bad.

6. IoHouse

IoHouse First Technician

I always cringe at the 'period' banner scene in VIII but thats probably cus Im a girl. I also still cringe at that similar scene with the tampon 'mouse' in the Young Ones :?

7. KrytensPenis

KrytensPenis Third Technician

Season 8 was hilarious. Not a cringe moment in it.

There's one in series 4 though which left even Lister squirming.

Human Kryten's penis joke :crying:

8. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I'm a series VIII fan, and even I wouldn't go that far. Repetitions of, "We're finished" and, "The appeal" and similar I find particularly cringe-worthy.

I liked that bit. :lol:

9. KrytensPenis

Well it scared me a little, I blame his stupid looking human head :-(

One thing about season 7, and as much as I quite like Kochanski. Her saying "Hello, wall! What do you think?" was a bit of a stinker :?

10. Paul Taylor

Yeah, that was pretty appalling!:-(

11. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

From Series I-VI there aren`t many cringe inducing moments but I could live without the Red Dwarf shuffle.

In Series VII many moments with Kochanski including the pipe business in Duct Soup.

In Series VIII too many moments to include them all... Steak Pie, peas and chips, the Data Doctor, the Dibbley family, the Reservoir Dogs thing, Nostrilomo, Lemonade in a large scotch, the blue midget dance etc.

12. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I will marathon them again but throughout even the best series' there were cringe moments where it either took the viewer for an idiot and parts where the characters knew stuff they couldn't possibly know (obviously because the viewers knew at this point in most cases) or the characters making unexplained assumptions at points, I will be more recipe after my rerun of the episodes.

Cut believe how much you all diss s7,8 and bte... They were still good.

13. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

The only really stand out moments for me are pretty much all from Series 8, Rimmer's ridiculously overdone salute, Lister and Rimmer getting their time delayed beating, the screen saver scene and Kryten's Officer Beadle bit (Which even seemed dated at the time) all spring more or less instantly to mind.

For me, it's not so much that I dislike Series 8, but it's definitely my least favourite of the Classic series. There's good and bad to some degree in all Red Dwarf, it's just in Series 8 the ratio is slanted quite a bit more in the bad direction than the others.

If we're going to include Back to Earth in this though, the whole bit with the fight with the squid in the diving bell wasn't done at all well and was quite painful to watch, I thought most of the parts on earth were pretty cringe-worthy as well especially visiting Coronation street. Again, on reflection I didn't think that Back to Earth was irredeemably terrible, but it was my least favourite Red Dwarf by a very clear margin and the episodes I'm least likely to watch by a long way.

All just my opinions of course.

14. codename_47

codename_47 First Technician

Oh look, another thread where we can slag the last 2 series, you'd think we'd all be over that by now.

Can't we start a thread where we celebrate moments we liked in episodes we (overall) didn't?
    Got a load of them from series 7 despite my wanting to decry it as un-canon, if possible.

Leaving the well worn path aside for a moment, Kryten's "stand around babbling" speech in Terrorform is a bit cringe, as is some Clair Grogan's acting in series 1. (Particularly her "Rimmer in Kochanski's body" scene)

And it's not really the actors or writers fault, but the overreaction of the audience to most of the gags in Kryten is a bit cringeworthy too.
    Sitcoms always struggle with under-laughing in their series 1's then as soon as series 2 rolls around they get an audience that has seen the show before and overreacts to everything.
    The same thing happened to Father Ted for its first episode of series 2 as well.
    Calm down guys!

15. Paul Taylor

I don't think we've found a topic yet that can't be subverted into criticism of series VII, VIII and BTE.:lol:

Not such a bad idea. Perhaps later.

16. KrytensPenis

I don't blame Chloe Annett too much for that as it was a very poorly written one-liner anyway, but still it was a poor delivery. She didn't need to walk straight upto the wall standing there facing it to try get the joke across. Should've just said it quickly off the cuff where she stood at the time in a quick "Well, duhhh!!!" sort of way then quickly move on, without turning around or anything so it's hardly noticable if you catch my drift.

I guess it's not always so easy to deliver a poor joke well.

17. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Well if you want a non-Series VII, VIII and IX (bte) criticize I can certainly think of some.

*Life Style of the Disgustingly Rich and Famous in Timeslides has a very series VIII pantomimey quality to it.
    *Laural in Meltdown......terrible performance.
    *Lister's anti-war speech in Meltdown after it's kinda his fault for chewing Rimmer's light bee and messing up his mind.
    *The characterization of their female selves in Parallel Universe.
    *The baby Skutters was a bit too dumb again in Parallel Universe.
    *Rimmer wanting the aliens to "Go AWAY" in DNA seemed painfully out of character (kinda like the Shakespeare thing in Lemons).
    *Rimmer's "Brave warrior soul" speech in Legion felt incredibly forced.
    *Cat's "Deader then...." jokes in series VI were all very flat.
    *Cat's "I guess you do have to tell me twice" in Emohawk is one of the worst lines in the entire show.
    *The return of Ace and Duane Dibbley when Emohawk strikes me as very poorly done trade in on past glories.

Hopefully that should satisfy anyone looking for something weak that's not post-Rob Grant.

18. Paul Taylor

I'm not sure what comedy acting Chloe had done before Dwarf. Others will likely disagree, but I reckon her delivery had improved no end in series VIII.

19. Paul Taylor

Agreed on all of these. I think we sometimes overlook some of the flat moments in episodes we're more familiar with. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous was especially bad, and I thought Ruby Wax was dreadful doing it. She should have remained related to the show only through marriage.

20. KrytensPenis

I 100% agree with that, that I was actually thinking about pointing it out myself. When in character, Laurel might be a bit of a crybaby to Ollie sometimes when he gets told off, but he's certainly no whiney wimp when it comes to a battle with anyone, especially with Ollie and James Finlayson (the small funny baldy bloke with the mustache in many of their films). His on-screen character was also a member of the foreign legion. It was a really poor characterisation. This alone ruined the episode for me as I'm a big Laurel & Hardy fan :-(