Cringe-worthy moments

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pbsausie, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

She had improved but it helped that she was on screen a lot less. Her `We`re not friends anymore` line is a terribly written line badly delivered though.

2. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I would add the `So what else is new` line from Waiting for God. The writers anti-war sentiments were never subtly expressed.

3. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

For whatever reason that didn't make me cringe, however it seemed like it was a point that I'd seen made countless times before so it was almost like I was thinking "what else is new" about the very point it was trying to make. The thing about Waiting for God for me isn't that it doesn't do anything particularly horrible, it just doesn't do anything overly interesting or terribly entertaining.

4. ben996

ben996 First Technician

Only agree with them 2, but even the Polymorph 2 episode is a 4/5 great episode.

5. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I watched this episode again the other day and largely agree. In my head I alwsys feel this is one of my least favourites from Series I-VI but it is still a good episode. I wish that Rob and Doug hadn`t cannibalized themselves by doing the triple-sequel but other than that there are some great gags and scenes.

6. Cryptofascist

Cryptofascist Skutter

I cringed when I noticed that the muffin Rimmer hands to Cptn. Hollister in series 8 was from TESCO. Is there no escape from that monolithic, market-mashing marauder, even three million years into deep space?!

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

"Hello Wall" has to be one of the most cringeworthy jokes in Dwarf.

Poor Chloe got some absolutely rotten lines.

8. no_name

no_name Third Technician

The worst thing about Lifestyles of the Disgustingly Rich and Famous is that it was originally going to be Graham Chapman rather than Ruby Wax. That probably would've catapulted it from being one of the most cringe-worthy moments to one of the best!

9. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I do sometimes wonder what that section would have been like with Chapman rather than Wax as the presenter. It certainly couldn't have been any worse. I think it's my most hated Red Dwarf scene outside of series 8.

10. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

I didn't know that. It would probably have made a big difference. I've got nothing at all against Ruby Wax, but she didn't do that well.

11. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

I just assumed they picked Ruby Wax because she's married to Ed Bye

12. Paul Taylor

Me too. It never occurred to me to look for another reason.

13. no_name

no_name Third Technician

I imagine Chapman would have played it pretty straight which I think would have made the lines funnier. Wax seems a bit jokey. I imagine Chapman would have delivered the lines in a more matter of fact way.

14. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Do you believe? We believe. Do you believe? WE BELEIVE

It comes with a health warning, it's bad for you

the tape has twisted this is really good

and I do respect ya - sir

so they're gonna have to be quite tall

15. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Kerry Shale would be a shoe in for this segment if it were cast today :-)

Seriously, Timeslides is a quite cringe-enducing episode of Dwarf in general. It has everything that this forum would crap all over if it were a series X episode. Awful gimmicky "science", continuity errors left right and center, overly silly pantomime segments like the aforementioned video, annoying guest stars in Wax and Lister's brother, main characters who appear to genuinely hate each other, a human introduced only to be killed off and zero reaction to it from the crew. Oh and it even had badly dated humour (Ishtar!)

Guaranteed that the forum would have hated Timeslides if it was released today. :lol:

16. dodgebizkit

I don't see anything cringeworthy in the episode lol well, apart from the Om song... it was totally shady.

I don't think rimmer being alive for a few seconds only to return to being a hologram before anyone knew he was alive apart from himself and holly really counts as a human getting killed off with no reaction lol he came back to life somehow and then returned to normal in less time than it takes to eat a banana and crisp sandwich.

17. Paul Taylor

"Timeslides" is one of my least favourite episodes, though it still contains classic moments, so I'm less likely to notice something cringeworthy in an episode I'm not so keen on, I think. But Rimmer becomes alive again as an unexpected result of changes made in the past, so the others would remember him as having always been alive and never having died, as he presumably would after the timeline had finished shuffling about. So, from their point of view, their colleague has suddenly been killed in a horrible accident. I think the reason it was ignored afterwards is because it was just a throwaway gag to show how nothing ever goes right for Rimmer . And since it affects nothing else, they can ignore it.

18. dodgebizkit

The thing I remember about my first time watching the episode was that rimmer didn't have the H on his head and I thought i'd spotted a costume cock-up and in fact he wasn't a hologram, a notable memory of mine, you only see each episode for the first time once :P unless you get really drunk when its on, then you can have the experience again

19. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

Nah, the fact that you can`t move outside the photograph and yet can enter a building would have been picked up on and doubtless many would have had a problem with Wax`s performance but the episode would still be well-liked over all because of the comedy. People have had 20 years to analyze the first 6 series and have picked them apart so Series X is no different.

G&T`s review stated, `the timeslides concept is a fantastic ploy for Rob and Doug to mess about with putting familiar characters in new settings. There’s the excellent stuff at Frank’s wedding, the unforgettable Hitler stuff and of course the oft-quoted scene with Emile Charles in the pub. There’s also a fantastically understated performance from Robert Addy as Gilbert, the rare double-act pairing of Lister and Cat at the very beginning, and of course Rimmer’s brilliant “who is the rich man” speech. Shame about Ruby Wax, though.`

This I would concur with.

20. Whisper

Whisper First Technician

Emohawk - Kryten and his 'It's the wall' moment was quite terrible acting :crying: