Cringe-worthy moments

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pbsausie, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

HAHA even imagining that moment makes me laugh though

2. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

The first one that springs to mind is Craig Charles trying to act in BtE! :roll:

3. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

No. I`m no fan of BTE but the Lister scenes at Kochanski`s grave and talking with Kochanski at the end are by far the strongest scenes in the specials.

On a related note I remember there was a fan edit on Youtube ages ago in which the grave scene was actually a pre-titles sequence and many other cuts had been made. It worked far, far better than the broadcast version.

4. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Indeed, this is staggeringly obvious in the eyes of just about any viewer or indeed in the eyes of anybody with eyes. It is also a fact that the Kochanksi scene in BTE part 3 is probably the most emotional, genuinely brilliant and well acted moments in Red Dwarf history.

Simulant is therefore wrong and need make no further posts about the matter.

5. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Kryten's guilt spasm directly after that was worse.

Worse still is Rimmer's fake spasm fit in Pete Part 2 after he insulted Hollister and was trying to make out it was due to side effects of the programmable "potato" virus.

6. dodgebizkit

I think CC did an immense job in BTW - and he had a far harder part to play than in most RD, he had to pull off some real difficult scenes that required the right level of finesse, some intense acting but not going overboard, and he got it spot on.

7. dodgebizkit

"and I've been saving all my pay..."

"Since when?"

Should have been a direct interruption, not an hour long wait for rimmer to interrupt him... though it wans t noticeable to the casual fan, just the obsessive :-D

8. dodgebizkit

Holograms don't produce heat, and neither do androids... what are they homing in on?

TERRIBLE

But amazingly, the following lines which theoretically are stupid, were awesome:

Its here
    where?
    somewhere

THAT WAS REAL GOLD

9. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

Aye! I always hated that line.

10. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

It's not necessarily a botched gag but the whole Lister having his arm cut off in Season 7 just depresses me.

Don't know why that was ever considered suitable for Red Dwarf, or why it wasn't kept light-hearted with him receiving a suitable cool robot arm immediately and just getting on with the show. It could have been linked to a couple of gags like him using it for Lister-y purposes (eg opening his beers like in Future Echoes or using it to trim his toenails). I have to question the sanity of someone who finds amputation hilarious. If it was established that losing an arm wasn't a major handicap in the future it would have been fine, but they made fun of a depressing disability instead and every joke turned my stomach.

It was distressing, not funny to watch and it stands out too much as a subject that all the related gags just depress me. He was going to go and kill himself over it. That was when I thought they had lost it.

And most of Series 8's broad toilet humour. The actual plot of Series 8 is frustrating and gets in the way of any funny stuff. It's like everything grinds to a halt in that season and renders it unfunny. Prison is only really funny when the characters deserve it a little. The Captain Holister stuff was stupid, and how ungrateful the crew were for being resurrected by Lister and Co just made me despise the lot of them, they made Rimmer seem nice in comparison, so none of their gags were funny, whereas before they were a normal crew. The frustration of the plot also made the gags frustrating, the lack of any plot concerning Lister's shipmates like Petersen just made me think 'why bother?'. Also the botched characters like the reset Rimmer only served to limit the character gags - so everything like the penis jokes go from cringeworthy to annoying.

I guess injustice isn't very funny, especially when it's happening to characters that once had an arc, or trajectory of some sort.

11. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

One other one sprung to mind. For me it's in Series VI (Legion I think) when Lister describes the projectile as "15,000 Geegooks and closing". Geegooks? Seriously? WTH is a Geegook? What was wrong with Kilometres or Clicks, as used in Emohawk? Or any other existing unit of measure for that matter?

Maybe it does actually exist as a slang unit of measure (Although I reckon that's unlikely), but assuming that isn't the case (And even if it is, why use such an obscure and daft sounding word), this is one thing that is usually done badly in sci-fi and fantasy. It's very, very rare that made up slang, expletives or units of measure sound at all convincing. "Smeg" in Red Dwarf being a notable exception. Usually though they just end up sounding ridiculous, Geegook being a good example.

It's not so much a joke that fell flat, I just can't listen to that line without thinking about how much better it would have sounded with a less stupid sounding word in its place.

12. dodgebizkit

The delivery of the line "it's bad for you" by Rimmer about rastabilly skank was pretty bad

13. dodgebizkit

The delivery of the line "it's bad for you" by Rimmer about rastabilly skank was pretty bad

14. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

At first, I assumed that the Lister loses an arm thing was an actual attempt at continuity, linking back to the robot arm we saw him with in Future Echoes...which made the joke even worse when he just got it back straight away. I agree he should have just kept some kind of cybernetic arm, it would have fit nicely into his "space bum" character.

I think that it's important to note that the writer himself, Doug Naylor, is an amputee and so, while in Doug's case he lost a leg and not an arm, I suspect that maybe alot of Epideme/Nanarchy may have drawn on his own experiences. In this case I think it's fair game for comedy, even black humour, because it's not an able bodied person laughing at disability, its a disabled person drawing black humour from a condition he has first hand experience of.

15. BruceFivesyth

Gobbledygook.

Personally I like it. Firstly, because it fits in with Rob and Doug had done before in inventing new words. And also because it is them gently mocking themselves/the show/sci-fi as they did with the 'why do we never meet anyone who can shoot straight' line.

16. Reznor

Reznor Guest

lol!!! i agree love that part :P

17. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Like when? Smeg was a pre-existing word or a contraction of a pre-existing word, there aren't that many examples if any of them inventing new words in Red Dwarf that I can think of. Quagaars, fair enough but that was clearly supposed to be ridiculous and it set Rimmer up for ridicule later on, whilst Geegooks were mentioned once in the entirety of Red Dwarf. Esperanto was a constructed language that Grant-Naylor had nothing to do with and even then references to that were dropped after Series II.

I didn't see it as a gentle mocking personally, it just seemed overly daft and out of place. Personally, at what was a moment of drama and crisis it jarred me out of my suspension of disbelief and if it was supposed to be funny, it failed. The "Shoot straight" comment at least was funny and it didn't sound that out of place. It sounded like the sort of thing that might have been the result of bad fanfic IMO.

18. BruceFivesyth

Geegook is also a contraction of a pre-existing word.

Goit
    Gimboid
    Modo
    Gwenlan...

Not to mention all of the other nonsense words that they've used over the years.

19. Ant E

Ant E Flight Co-Ordinator

Lister taking his hat off in The Last Day - terrible and predictable. Oh and that whole Kryten scene in series 8 with the doctor guy. And when KK says "BIRD MAN".

20. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Everything about Birdman makes me cringe.....his the worst character to appear on Red Dwarf to date.