Cringe-worthy moments

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by pbsausie, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Goit I always took to be a shortened version of goiter, like smeg another medical based insult. All of those though are only used in the first one or two series. There are other made up names, but they make a sort of sense, like Polymorph, psi-scanner, emohawk, simulant, etc, but, again none of those have the sillyness factor of Geegook.

Btw, do you know that Geegook is a contraction of Goobledygook or is that an assumption?

2. BruceFivesyth

BruceFivesyth Third Technician

The cast mention it in the commentary.

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 Deck Sergeant

Interesting, thanks I wasn't aware of that.

Doesn't change my opinion that it's cringingly silly sounding and out of place though. ;-)

4. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

The Scooby Doo running about that is seen in Pete and now seen in Series X. Character runs one way down corridor, runs back. It's never ever been funny.

The cartoon effects on the T-Rex when it eats the curry.

The "see you in 10 minutes" scene.

Cat dancing with the Blue Midgets.

5. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

Hamstergrams. Not a single bit funny.

On the flipside, Is Wilma sexy? was HILARIOUS

6. ojideagu

ojideagu Skutter

An android would produce a lot of heat. Super Computers need massive cooling systems.
    The best PC Graphics cards have cooling systems. Infact heat is the no:1 factor that slows down processor development.

Infrared light is heat and almost always co-exists with visible light. Holograms very probably give off Infrared light. just ask the Sun or a Lightbulb why they are so hot.

7. ojideagu

ojideagu Skutter

Computers produce massive amounts of heat and need liquid cooling systems or fans, so an Android certainly would.

Infrared Light is heat and is almost unavoidable with visible light. A hologram would probably give off Infrared as well as visible light.

8. shizuo340

shizuo340 First Technician

All of the old kochansskis acting. All of it.

9. CaptainHallam

CaptainHallam Second Technician

I die inside when i see the shot of Lister meeting list in the dimension crossover series VII where they shake hands - static body and someone else's arm.

Yet they got it fantastically right when imposter-Lister played the guitar in Psirens using a true guitarists arms. Amazing technnique!

10. MisterBuch

MisterBuch Second Technician

There are only a handful of cringes for me until it gets to series VIII and Back to Earth.

But I always found the Inquisitor a bit rubbish - not the episode but the performance. You usually can't hear his lines, his voice is forced and not terribly menacing, and his movemennts are rehearsed and stiff. Also that bit where Lister is aged (to a white man who looks nothing like him) and a child (with an adult's voice). That whole episode seemed a little bit shoddy, actually.

11. mophead241

mophead241 Catering Officer

Unusual choice, I think most people here list the Inquisitor as one of their favourite episodes.
    I can see where you're coming from, but for me the good points massively outweigh the bad.

12. MisterBuch

I thought that might be an unusual one. I think the script for Inquisitor is better than the execution, maybe?

I'm not sure. It's just probably my least favourite part of series 5, which isn't saying much in terms of criticism.

13. mophead241

Fair enough. I understand what you mean, but think that the majority of the execution is strong.

As for my choices:
    Series 8.
    The end scene of RDX episode 5, involving the Cat.
    The model dinosaurs in Meltdown.

14. MisterBuch

Lister, Kryten and Cat's self-inquisition scenes are absolutely incredible - I'll say that!

15. mophead241

Definately, that's one of my top Red Dwarf moments ever.

16. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

But aren't those monsters in Meltdown supposed to look rubbish? Kryten even gets a gag about them.

I also don't get why Lister gets aged to a bald old white man in Inquisitor either. Should have just done Craig up in his Future Echoes old Lister make-up.

Some of the old series have a real redundancy of lines that actually signpost and kill jokes that the audience was already laughing at. Cat's "looks like you do have to tell me twice" is a good example as was mentioned on page 1.

17. djmcbell

djmcbell Supply Officer

What this person said (minus spamming link of course).

In any case, a handful from me...

The Dibbley family from Back In The Red (especially as I AM a computer programmer)

Erm... that's the only one that stands out right now.