CRISIS TALKS - the forum

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by Christmas Pants, Mar 14, 2018.

Is I rite?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Christmas Pants

Christmas Pants Flight Co-Ordinator

OK, we have reached crisis point on this forum. It’s time someone said what needs to be said.

I estimate six main people continually post on a daily basis here - with an additional four who post every now and then!! Membership has dwindled to an all time low. New posts are minimal.

Old members who lurk aren’t putting enough effort on. Why is this?

We need new members! Me need more characters! We need new blood urgently!

Today I demand that this site carries out an urgent recruitment drive!!! @Seb I implore you to do this with the upmost urgency to make this happen - be it via Facebook, Dave and/or twitter!!!!!!

Otherwise I fear the forum may be doomed to the history books.

Abe likes this.
  2. Christmas Pants

There is more activity in the unofficial chat room than on here!!! Maybe we should start by returning the chat site here!!!!!

sundayforsammy and Abe like this.
  3. Cloud (Christmas)

Cloud (Christmas) Flight Co-Ordinator

First we need @Tex_Rimmer and @kry102001 to make a return. When they are back word will spread and millions will flood in.

Christmas Pants likes this.
  4. neilold the red nosed reindeer

neilold the red nosed reindeer Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm not gonna post much from now on either. I'm bored of it, since big old went I've pretty much lost interest anyway

5. Cloud (Christmas)

Well things are picking up already!

6. Nicoca-cola Truck

Nicoca-cola Truck Flight Co-Ordinator

7. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Let it die.

8. Christmas Pants

Really helpful Neil! Once again dodging the topic. Frankly it’s about time you grew a pair. You’re quite the contradiction @neilold - you’re (allegedly) this big patriotic individual - but also a wimp! How does that work exactly?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Nicoca-cola Truck and Abe like this.
  9. Christmas Pants

@Seb has signed in and chosen to ignore. So you might not be wrong

10. Underdunn

Underdunn Deck Sergeant

Is he the one who looks like Steve Wright?

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've noticed for a while that forum activity was slowly dying down, but it was when BigOleDummy left that the decline became really noticeable. I think he'd been doing a really good job of propping the place up and now he's gone things have really slowed down. We haven't come close to reaching 2008 levels of inactivity yet - back then the place really was dying a slow, drawn-out death. But then news of Back to Earth came along and saved the place. Suddenly dozens of newbies came along and the forum was thriving again. But the internet has changed. Even the two new seasons we've had in recent years haven't had much impact. People just don't discuss Red Dwarf on forums in 2018 in the way they did in 2008. Social media I'm guessing is where most people discuss new episodes now.

I've always said that a forum needs two things to survive long term: a) a solid nucleus of regular posters, and b) a constant influx of newbies to replace those who leave. While for now we still have a, we're very much struggling with b.

Christmas Pants and Abe like this.
  12. Abe

Abe Deck Sergeant

I think any hype the forum would have received from XI/XII died once XII rolled around, which is why it may have been especially bad this last year.

13. Christmas Pants

14. Christmas Pants

I’m tagging @Stephen to see what he thinks?

Nicoca-cola Truck likes this.
  15. Eddiebadassdavis

Eddiebadassdavis Supply Officer

Wait is'nt @Seb the captain or something

16. Stephen

Stephen Guest

It might just be the constant derailing of threads.
    The constant need to tag people unnecessarily or randomly.
    It might be the sometimes childish behaviour of a small handful of people.
    I am in regular contact with a lot of the pre 2009/2010 members and they have mentioned "childish" & "not what it used to be" in our conversations about this once great place.
    The lack of regular moderation for which the only mod has an unfavourable task on their own with no help.

In it's current state I don't blame a lot of people for staying well away.

17. Cloud (Christmas)

As someone who has been here as long as you have I think you are glorifying the old days a little. Derailing of threads has ALWAYS been a thing.I remember it as far back as the old forum (the one where all the threads were on the left)

Childish Behavior has also always been a thing. The behavior here is pretty silly at the minute but mostly contained to the garbage pod or whatever its called now. Its just a different bunch of people now doing the antics but it was always like that. The only difference is a lot of those old members were pretty stuck up and not much fun, thinking their farts didn't stink while making crap posts. At least now the people posting the nonsense are well aware they are terrible.

The tagging thing is new. but I don't get what the big deal is. I am sure if it was around 10 years ago it would have happened then as well. But as someone who has been here as long sure some of the old members were ok but a lot were just as unpleasant. A lot of people have accused the forum of being a bit cliquey at the minute, which is fair enough but it was always like that. A lot of the old members were very much in their own gang and a lot less welcoming of people trying to join (like for example all are welcome into the chat we set up as long as you let us know who you are as we have had a few sockpuppets) a lot of the old members had their little groups on maybe like 4 different RD forums.

18. Christmas Pants

Because we are now at full crisis level.

19. Christmas Pants

Poor @Bluey. Rambling poor fella. Clearly evidence that this forum is at FULL CRISIS !!!

If only @Seb would do SOMETHING, ANYTHING.

Nicoca-cola Truck likes this.
  20. Nicoca-cola Truck

Nicoca-cola Truck Flight Co-Ordinator

:adore::adore::adore::adore:

Cloud (Christmas) likes this.