Crystal maze

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by neilold, Jun 13, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Coming back in a few weeks, looking forward to that

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I'll probably give it a try as I was a big fan of the original show with Richard O'Brien and Edward Tudor-Pole back in the 1990s. However, I'm not impressed by the choice of host this time around. Richard Ayoade is someone I've always found annoying, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to stomach watching a full series with him presenting. I would have been much more excited about this revival if either of the original hosts was returning to present it.

3. neilold

I quite like Richard ayoade, but yeah, I'd have prefered the original host to. I think Jessica Haynes and Adam Buxton, both who I don't particularly like, are gonna be in it to

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I can't say I've heard of Jessica Haynes, but I know who Adam Buxton is. I wonder what their role in the show is going to be.

5. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I'll give it a go :-)

Hope the future zone's all Red Dwarfy :nod:

6. neilold

Meant Jessica Haynes, who was in spaced and the royal family . Understand there both gonna be in cameos, kinda like the bloke in the lighthouse in fort boyard. Buxton, Is gonna be a kinda disembodied head asking questions, and haynes will be in body armour in the medeival zone!

7. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I like Richard Ayoade in The IT Crowd but am not keen on the idea of The Crystal Maze without the legendary Richard O'Brien. That's not right, man. :wave:

I may check out an episode to see what it's like though.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I suspect this is going to be like the Robot Wars revival for me: I'll watch the first episode out of nostalgia-based curiosity but will probably not bother with the show after that. But who knows? Maybe Richard Ayoade will grow me. I just remember that I always found him irritating in things like the IT Crowd and Nathan Barley. I've never seen him in a non-acting role so maybe I'll find him more bearable as a game show presenter.

9. neilold

I only ever saw him in eight out often cats, I watch the programme for the games rather than the hosts anyway

10. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

I've never even heard of Richard Ayoade, but I remember the original hosts, and I remember Jessica Haynes from Black Books and Shaun Of The Dead as well, and a couple or so years ago, I went to see Adam Buxton in a comedy gig, not realizing that I'd seen him in Hot Fuzz.

11. Strat-tastic

12. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I must admit that I always assumed that the groups of contestants knew each other in real life like the teams on Eggheads. I wasn't aware that they'd only met the night before.

13. Strat-tastic

And they're only getting ten games; unless they have made them easier it's hard to see how they can win enough crystals to do well in the last round. Also they could have increased the time per crystal, that would help.

I wonder how many of the teams (comprising five members) apply the man x crystal equation for determining whether to buy someone out of a lock in. You need man x crystal = highest possible. So if you have one lock in and six crystals, you could buy them out so equation is 5 members x 5 crystals = 25 man-crystals, or don't buy them out gives 4 x 6 = 24 man-crystals, so you get the advantage to buy them out in that example; other times it's not beneficial.

The only factor which could get in the way of that reasoning is more people in the dome at the end perhaps means more getting in the way of each other but I don't think that would be enough to spoil it.

Anyway that's enough maths lesson for today ;-)

14. neilold

it was hard enough when they used to play it anyway, if they've made it tougher that's even meaner!