Czech Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Wenceslas, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

There are couple quetions about Red Dwarf in Czech Republic in 'Hello, smegheads!' thread, so I decided to make special thread about 'Cerveny trpaslik'.

Chapter 1:
    Few words about Cerveny trpaslik

Red Dwarf (or Cerveny trpaslik) first aired in Czech television 8th January 1999 and all eight series were boadcast (last ep aired 25th February 2000).
    Red Dwarf became phenomenon in Czech Rep. Every year, czech fans come to Trpaslicon convention. It isn't as big as Dimension Jump, of course, but it's our.

But RD is also very popular in czech culture. For example, opening ceremony of Rio 2016 olympics on Czech TV - when delegation from Fiji came to stage, czech commentator said something about sea level (ecological theme of the games) and cross-breed sheeps with dolphins. Last year also aired series 'Kosmo', about czechs in space, which was inspirated by Red Dwarf and some gags are really similar to RD.

Next time:
    People on Cerveny trpaslik

2. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

Me likey :-)

Which month is brezen? (Sorry can't do that accent on the r)

3. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

It's interesting that Red Dwarf is considered mainstream enough there to be referenced in the Olympic commentary. I'm not sure that would have ever happened here, I think it's always been considered a bit alternative (despite its millions of viewers).

I remember reading this article on here - what are the TV programmes that it links to? They look like proper news shows. Again, can't imagine that happening in the UK!

4. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

March :-)

5. Strat-tastic

Are you going?

6. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

It's from TV called 'Czech television'. the first one is 'Udalosti, komentare' ('Events, commentaries') one of main discussion programmes of the TV and the second one is some very old programme 'Pred polednem' ('Before noon')

BTW You really have the Billy's picture?! Cute! :-)

7. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Thanks. I'd also be interested to know who does the over-dubbing for the episodes - any well-known Czech actors? And do you watch the English versions as well?

Yes, well, it was an experiment but unfortunately I can't find my original picture now!

8. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

OK next part of my series is here.

Chapter 2: People on Cerveny trpaslik

I want to write about Red Dwarf czech dubbers. Of course, there are many other people working on Cerveny trpaslik, but I don't know much about them and they also aren't very important. :-)

Let's start with Lister. He's dubbed by this guy called Martin Sobotka. He isn't very famous, but his dubbing is fantastic.
    [​IMG]

Voice of Rimmer does Kamil Halbich. He is best known from lot of soap operas, he plaied in. I have met him few times, because his son goes to the same music school as me. :P
    [​IMG]

Famous actor dubbs Cat. His name is Miroslav Vladyka. He is known from travel magazine 'Cestomanie' (Travelmania) and he also appeared in HBO CZ series 'Pustina' (Wasteland). I've seen him one time, when he was shooting detective series in pizzeria near my house. :P
    [​IMG]

Kryten's czech voice is actor and director Zdenek Dusek. He plays roles of homeless people or old mans.
    [​IMG]

Probably the best known is dubber of Holly, Miroslav Taborsky. He played in lot of foreign movies. For example he played waiter in Eurotrip.
    [​IMG]
    He looks bit like Norman Lovett and he is famous by dubbing him. In children sitcom 'Mazalové' he got role of magic mirror called Leopold, which was really like Holly. And guess how did they shoot his scenes?

Female version of Holly is also dubbed by quite famous actress - Veronika Zilkova (I think, her dubbing isn't very good). She plays is many and many films and series and she is also wife of czech minister of defence (actor too). If Czech Republic would fight with UK, you would probably see them both in TV. :-)
    I can't find her photo in good size, so I'll put link to photo, where she looks like Hattie Hayridge.

Kochanski is voiced by Monika Zakova. She is really unknown actress, so I don't know anything about her. Sorry. :roll:
    [​IMG]

I wanted to add some videos of czech dubbing, but this article is long enough, also tommorow.

Next time:
    How do Dwarfers sound in Czech?

P.S.: Sorry, if you find mistakes...

Pinny likes this.
  9. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

Here You have it. I didn't watch lot of full episodes in ENG. I watched whole XI in English, because it isn't dubbed to CZ yet. I want to watch in ENG whole RD, because original voices are super.

10. Strat-tastic

Fantastic! 8)

11. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

Chapter 3:
    How do Dwarfers sound in Czech?

As I promised yesterday, here are some examples of RD czech dubbing, I found on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrVcHuvaUN0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udc75W_aG5U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFmNO64667E
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJZs_9iTugo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk1qdAAdy_Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bbTjlAkcf4

These are just few, I found. If you want more, more and more, click here. :-)

Next time:
    Trpaslicon fan convention

12. sundayforsammy

sundayforsammy Deck Sergeant

These are great, I wondered how dead pan the voice over for Holly (Norman) would have been and the actor seems to have done a canny job of it. :-D

13. HO HO HO I'M JMC

HO HO HO I'M JMC Deck Sergeant

Super thread! I especially enjoyed the Dwarf reference in the Czech Olympic commentary, and the dubs were really interesting. My favourite voice actor is Kryten... he really does sound like Robert Llewellyn speaking Czech! Cat was also quite good in that regard.

14. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

Chapter 4:
    Trpaslicon fan convention

Every year, czech Red Dwarf fans met with each other on Trpaslicon, czech RD fan convention. Trpaslicon = trpaslik (dwarf) + convention. It's called Trpaslicon, but it isn't only RD festival. It's about british sci-fi and comedy in general, but mainly RD.

Trpaslicon takes place in Zakladni skola Kvetnoveho vitezstvi (Primary school of May victory) since 2003. Every Trpaslicon now has its theme - an Red Dwarf episode, this year, it's Thanks for The Memory (Diky za tu vzpominku) and there're many of activities about that episode. Here you can see festival festival website.

To Dimension Jump come RD actors and to Trpaslicon czech dubbers. There is discussion with them and then they try to dubb random episode only with subtitiles. It's hard, because they don't know, which episode they will dubb. I think, this year they will dubb something from RDXI.

Every year, there's Masks Competition, where we can see (probably only) Kryten cosplay.
    [​IMG]

Admission is 350 Crowns (10 £), but only 300 if you come in mask.

It's sad, because I wasn't on any Trpaslicon, but I plan to go there in future.

Next time:
    Czech vs. English Dwarf

15. ClareGC

ClareGC Catering Officer

I'm amazed that any Red Dwarf reference made it into your Olympic Games commentary. It must have sounded very strange to anyone who hadn't watched the episode, to hear mention of sheep and dolphins being cross-bred.

I loved hearing the dubbed voices. A very interesting thread!

16. Santa Paws

Santa Paws Flight Co-Ordinator

Good heavens! :-)

17. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

Thanks for all your lovely comments. Next chapter is more complicated, but I hope, I'll do it today. :-)

EDIT: OK, I have no time to do it today and tommorow too, so maybe Wednesday. :roll:

18. Strat-tastic

How many people go to Trpaslicon?

19. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

Acording to this, quite lot. :-)

20. Wenceslas

Wenceslas Deck Sergeant

Chapter 5:
    Czech vs. English Dwarf

Almost everything about this was written in Czech The Difference article, so I won't tell you much, beacause I don't know much more than, which is mentioned here. I also haven't got much time, so sorry.

And let's start with my favourite (which was in the article, but I will post it anyway:-(
    Camille
    KRYTEN: It's a small off-duty Czechoslovakian trafic warden.
    Czech KRYTEN: It's a small off-duty Tasmanian traffic warden.
    (You probably know the reason.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ZrDwKkF-0

Polymorph
    English RIMMER sings Beatles hit All You Need Is Love, but Czech RIMMER sings We Shall Overcome. This song is connected to modern Czech history and Velvet Revolution, BTW which was 2 weeks before Polymorph first broadcast.

Waiting For God
    RIMMER: Fine. Well, we'll give him ten seconds to come back from the dead, and if he hasn't managed it, we'll presume I'm in charge.
    Czech RIMMER: Fine. Well, we'll give him five seconds to come back from the dead, and if he hasn't managed it, we'll presume I'm in charge.
    (Czech Rimmer is more cruel than the English one!)

Other differences are connected to sad reason - poor people in the Czech Republic haven't seen original version, only the remastered one. So we've lost things as Cat's fish-woman wife or female Skutter. :-(

Next time:
    Fantastic Czech Red Dwarf websites and where to find them