Czech Dwarf

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Zombie Smurf, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm loving this informative and interesting thread :-)

2. Zombie Smurf

Zombie Smurf Supply Officer

Chapter 6:
    Fantastic Czech Red Dwarf websites and where to find them

As you know, RD has many and many fans in the Czech Republic, so it isn't suprising, that fans create websites about their favourite show, here you have the best ones.

cervenytrpaslik.cz
    The biggest Czech RD website, where you can find almost everything - info about episodes, scripts (CZ and EN), list of all RD characters and more and more. But the site is grey, ugly, confused and not active. There are only informations about first 52 episodes. :-(

reddwarf.jinak.cz
    This site I love. There aren't many informations or news, but there's is something, that every Red Dwarf fan must have - RD Callendars (sadly only in Czech). There's also 'Sillicon Hell',where everybody can write their candidates.

reddwarf.wz.cz
    Another not active site with couple of informations. Lot of informations are just rewrited from cervenytrpaslik.cz. If is this site best at something, it has probably the stupidest menu. I spent once 15 minutes, when I was trying to click to RD hardcore quiz.

edna.cz/red-dwarf
    OK, some advertisement for me... :-) This site is part of huge multi-series fanweb edna.cz. I'm one of it's redactors (not my job, just hobby). Because we are part of big web, we can't just write everything we want, we have authority above us, but it has also it's advantages. If this was free site, it would never look so good and it would never have so many visitors. Main function of this site it making Czech subtitles to RD episodes and bringing news about RD. It's probably only one RD site, that is still active (and only one, where you can find adverts, but it isn't our fault). :-)

Ceska televize - Cerveny trpaslik
    Ceska televize (=Czech television), which broadcasts Red Dwarf created also a site. There are only short informations about episodes S1 - 10.

rds.kahi.cz
    Red Dwarf Search. If you want to find some RD quote, this is the best site, but only in Czech.

rd.funsite.cz
    Red Dwarf RPG Game. Kill simulants, mine plutonium, feel like member of Red Dwarf crew. Game I love and I play all the time. BTW I'm best player. :P As ussualy, only in Czech.

OK, this is my list of TOP Czech RD websites, there are more of them, but these are the most important.

Next time:
    English - Czech Red Dwarf Dictionary

P.S.: Joanne, thank you for agreement with using title of your book. In return, I will come with some great idea as was the little wizard boy. ;-)

3. Strat-tastic

Thanks again Asclepius. Would you let me know the link for the EN scripts please? :-)

4. Zombie Smurf

Here. The column on the right side are scripts in english. :-)

5. Strat-tastic

A thousand thank yous :-)

6. Zombie Smurf

Chapter 7:
    English - Czech Red Dwarf Dictionary

Let's look at some words from Red Dwarf. If you want some others, write them.

ENG - CZE

Red Dwarf - Cerveny trpasik (as you probably alread know)
    Starbug - Kosmik
    Blue Midget - Modrý skrcek

Kryten - Kryton (just one letter, but completely differtent pronaunciation)
    skutter, skutters - robik, robici (from word 'robot', which is actually Czech word)
    simuant(s) - replikant(i)

captain - kapitan
    second/third technician - druhy/treti technik
    officer - dustojnik

Biggest problem for Czech translators. How to translate SMEG and SMEGHEAD.
    Smeg! - Do kosmu! (something like 'smeg!')
    smeghead - magor

These are all, I can come with right now. Write your ideas, please. :-)

7. Strat-tastic

Kosmik! Love it :-D

8. Zombie Smurf

I have noticed another small difference. In original version Rimmer refers to Hollister as fat bastard 2044, in Czech version, Hollister is only fat bastard 204.

9. Zombie Smurf

In Emohawk, Kryten says: Let's face it sir, we are as guilty as the man behind the grassy knoll. In CZ version he says: ...as prostitutes before pension.

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  10. Zombie Smurf

I've lied to you all the time, but it wasn't my fault:
    The correct Czech name for Red Dwarf isn't "Cerveny trpaslik" as I said, but Červený trpaslík. Now you know it...

11. Pinny

Pinny Third Technician

This is a really interesting thread, do you mind if I ask a couple of questions?

Does Lister's dubbing actor use any particular accent in Czech? Liverpudlian is quite a distinct accent, is there a Czech equivalent?

How is the faux Russian that Rimmer sometimes uses ,eg Toodle Pipski, rendered in Czech?

12. Zombie Smurf

1) No, he speaks classic Czech without any accent, but his voice voice really fits to Lister.
    2) I'm not really sure, what do you mean...

13. Zombie Smurf

Series XI hasn't been voiced to Czech yet, but author of the unofficial subtitles has translated it like this:
    „Američani milují britský přízvuk, takže Lister má smůlu.“ = "Americans love the British accent, so Lister has bad luck."
    (This is just literal translate. In right context, it can have the same meaning as original English sentence.)

PeeJayHarvey likes this.
  14. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

That joke will be lost in translation if the Czech audience don't understand English regional identity politics, that Lister is from Liverpool and Liverpool has its own distinctive accent within England which foreigners/Americans might not realise because it isn't exported as much as the Home Counties accent(s).

Are there significantly different Czech regional accents, and if so, do the Czech dubbers attempt to re-create the accent differences? Like maybe there's a Czech equivalent of Liverpool.

15. Zombie Smurf

We can't change peoples nationality, so they are English in dubbed version too. Yeah, the dubbing ruined Lister's accent, but his Czech voice is still more symphatic.

There are many accents in Czech Republic, but they are just regional. You won't hear them in public TV. I can't imagine Lister or somebody speaking with Moravian or Slesian accents. (But the Slesian might be good.) :-D

16. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

But that's the whole point, Lister speaks with a regional accent usually sidelined on mainstream tv. When Rimmer makes the joke, I think it's partly about Americans thinking everyone in England sounds like Hugh Grant, and partly a dig about Scousers being uncivilised. Do people in the Czech Republic understand that Lister is from Liverpool and that there's negative stereotypes about Liverpudlians, ie they're a rough criminal underclass?

17. Zombie Smurf

I DO understand this and I think that Czech RD viewers too. It's not just about Lister's accent, but there are also some jokes about Lister's "origin". I think that Red Dwarf viewers anywhere are "the more intelligent", so they understand jokes based on stereotypes, history, politics, etc.

18. Zombie Smurf

19. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Do the Czech dubbers attempt to re-create the non-English characters accents? Eg, does Captain Hollister speak Czech with an American accent, Langstrom with a German accent, etc?

20. Zombie Smurf

No. Czech isn't like English in speaking with foreign accent. It would sound weird.