Danny John Jules' Epic Tongue Tied Video

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by besbvesdy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. besbvesdy

besbvesdy Third Technician

Has this been included on any of the DVDs? If not, why not?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

No, it hasn't. Presumably because it doesn't really have anything to do with the TV series.

3. besbvesdy

Sure. It's only the whole cast of the tv series and guest stars from the tv series playing characters from the tv series singing a song from the tv series.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Why don't you just purchase the VHS from Amazon? Or would that be far too complicated for you?

5. besbvesdy

I wasn't aware it's available on VHS, or that we were using insults. Although I might well buy it, it's not really about where to see it, as I've already seen it on a certain internet video website.

My post was about whether or not it was included on any of the official DVDs as perhaps a nice easter egg, as it's easily as relevant and eligible for inclusion as songs by Craig Charles' band or clips of Dave Hollis Space Cadet or home video footage of sci fi fans pretending to work in an office. Cheers for the friendly advice.

6. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

It's not a Red Dwarf/GNP production, is the thing. Yes, it's heavily connected to the show, but I imagine it's not something that they actually have the rights to.

I agree it would have been a nice thing to include somewhere, but I guess there was good reason why not.

7. besbvesdy

I can see why it would be tough to put things that aren't owned by BBC/GNP on the DVDs. And yet, there's a big ol' Red Dwarf logo on the VHS cover...?

8. whatthesmeg

whatthesmeg First Technician

I'm here , I'm there , I'm everywhere , so beware!
    If you get the Red Dwarf DVD series two with special features on the Danny John Jules (Cat) Tongue Tied song from the episode Parallel Universe in on there in it's uncut form.;-)

9. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Lots of things have the RD logo on that aren't themselves *owned* by GNP, though. The logo can be licensed out. See also the Smegazines.

I imagine there might be publishing rights issues over that actual recording of the song, too. Obviously Tongue Tied itself as a song is owned by GNP (and/or Goodall), but I don't know how things work when it comes to specific recordings released on a particular label.

Put it this way: knowing what the RD DVDs are like, and how extensive the archive material is, if something isn't on there, you can assume there's a good reason for it; and you can also probably assume it would have been on there if that reason didn't exist! Same goes for Universe Challenge, for example.

10. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

11. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

12. Sammy Psycho

Sammy Psycho Deck Sergeant

So what we have here ! is some companies are just too greedy to allow these great recordings to be used.:-(