Dave Lister's diminishing smile

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by OurJud, Mar 19, 2017.

1. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I wonder why Dave Lister's 'cheeky grin' made less and less of an appearance as the series progressed?

In series 1 and 2 he's grinning like a Cheshire cat at every opportunity, but then we see less and less of it, so that in the last three or four series we hardly see it all.

2. Old_Ironbutt

Old_Ironbutt Third Technician

Is it not the same for all of us?
    Getting older kind of thing? :?
    Life and experience kind of makes you more measured in your outlook and approach.

I suppose being trapped 3 million years into deepspace without the kind of social challenges and usual human condition might limit some of this but surely must also grind you down too?

We should reflect back on our life decisions but never holdback on the opporchancity to emit a bit of godawful chirpy gerbil-faced optimism on others! :P

3. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I suppose you're right. I think it's probably more to do with my love of the first two series, and sadness that from series... 4 (maybe?) the show was never the same again.

I blame Kryten for changing the dynamics so drastically.

4. AJ Smeggnog

AJ Smeggnog Second Technician

I think it might be because Lister has a bit of a personality change between Series II and III. From III onwards, to me he seems more cooler (or, as is being discussed on page 3 of the Red Dwarf Episode Grievances thread, punkier). Can't be seen smiling if you're a rock and roll star!