Dave want to do another old show...

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by R.I.P. 2000, Apr 17, 2009.

1. R.I.P. 2000

R.I.P. 2000 Deck Sergeant

2. CJ_MAK

CJ_MAK Deck Sergeant

Yeah me too, it would be good if they could bring back something else as well as Red Dwarf, maybe Blackadder:-D
    I'd be happy enough if Red Dwarf came back for another series but if they could successfully bring back Blackadder too I'd be in comedy heaven:-D

3. 2x4b523q

2x4b523q Second Technician

:idea:I think Faulty Towers would be the greatest of all the greatest:-D:-)8:-(lol::P:!: Set 40 years-ish later.

4. giga

giga Third Technician

:!: No Fawlty Towers! That needs to be left alone, one of the best sitcoms of all time! The 'Adder would be good though.

5. joe_mills

joe_mills First Technician

Hopefully Dave commision RD for another series and set of specials before anything else. I personally believe Dave should be concentrating on creating more of their own series like Argumental, of course there will be some hit and misses.

Not every sitcom has the fan base that RD has to be able to resurrect itself successfully, can you honestly see new Bottom getting 2m viewers on Dave, I dont.

I also think RD is unique in that its the type of sitcom that can move with the times in terms of becoming a comedy-drama and having new storylines, not many 90's sitcoms could do that so easily.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

The thing about Red Dwarf is that Doug and everyone were eager to return. I'm not sure the people behind Blackadder would be willing to bring the series back, and it's the same with Fawlty Towers.

There's not really anything I want to see other than more RD.

7. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

Dave might be making a mistake if it thinks nostalgia is the main thing that sold Red Dwarf.

I've been reading the "What got you into Red Dwarf" thread on the series forum and the number of people who are saying they got into the show after watching Pete: Part 2 is quite staggering. It might also explain some of the criticism the show has received. Different audiances remembering the show for different things.

8. littlesmegger

littlesmegger Third Technician

That's the way with everything is it not? Different generations jumping into the product at different points. And not all of the viewers will have got all the series on DVD, perhaps just catching reruns on Dave [and BBC Two at one point].

And as much as Doug has to make a product that the original fanbase will appreciate, he's also got to think of younger viewers AND possible new viewers. Otherwise it's television suicide.

9. Skyfox

Skyfox Third Technician

Agreed, Fawlty Towers ended well, it can not come back because of that.

10. Krytens_spare_head

Krytens_spare_head Second Technician

Red Dwarf of course, an outside bet and i know its not an english show but Firefly, would love to see firefly up and running again :-D

11. billyballoch

billyballoch Third Technician

A lot of people who commented on thread on the Dave website mentioned bringing back the brittas empire, what do you guys think about this:?:

12. counting_sheep

counting_sheep First Technician

I think that show went on too long as it is. It just got stupid in the last series after they resurected gorden brittas from being dead.

13. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'd love to see more Firefly to in some form, or another film. (Obviously wouldn't be Dave to do it, but as a 'programme I'd like to see resurrected' it's up there.)

14. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

The Goodies?

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Bill Oddie has always been dead set against doing any more episodes. 2005's Goodies Night is the closest we're ever going to get to new material.

16. Gluben

Gluben Third Technician

Has he? Didn't know that. Where does he say that? I thought all three of them were very keen on getting back to it. I mean they're not as young as they once were, so they wouldn't have to play a huge part in a new episode, but still be incremental to the action. Either way, it would possibly prompt more repeats and even DVD releases, which they definitely all want, and have wanted for years.

17. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

In various TV interviews when asked if he would ever want to bring the show back he was always very against the idea.

18. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

The Brittas Empire :-D

19. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It might be a difficult one to bring back since they did that tired old "it was all a dream" cliche in the last episode.

20. wannabe

wannabe First Technician

Yeah it was very Dallas.
    Well if they can do that they can do anything. LOL