"Dennis the Donut Boy"

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Alana_Ryan_Behan, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Alana_Ryan_Behan

Alana_Ryan_Behan Second Technician

Do many people in fandom actually accept that Hollister could be an incompetent donut boy, rather than the decorated Captain of Series 1?

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Not, really, although the Red Dwarf universe is silly enough to allow for it. It perhaps says something about the nature of the truly qualified officers that Hollister didn't stand out.

One of the good things about the combined versions of those episodes is that you don't have the captain's log intros so you can ignore the logs as just a joke if you wish.

3. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

So was Hollister an actual donut boy in our reality, or was he one in an alternative reality?
    Or was he a Captain in our reality, but a donut boy in the alternative reality?
    Perhaps a donut boy in our reality, but a Captain in the alternative reality?

Um...

:shock:

4. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

You've been at the catnip again haven't you ;-)

5. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Sort of..! :lol:

6. HonestTom

HonestTom Skutter

Rimmer suggests on a number of occasions that the Space Corps is quite snobby, and the reason he never got ahead is because he wasn't from the same posh background as e.g. Todhunter. If we assume this is partially true and not Rimmer inventing excuses, then the idea that Hollister had to cheat to gain the advantage makes sense. I prefer this to the idea that he's "just" a doughnut boy who blackmailed his way to the top - he seemed pretty competent in S1-2.

7. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

Well, as far as series 8 goes it's fair to say I don't love it. And this topic is exactly the sort of reason why.

The proper Captain in series 1 and 2 became a cartoon character in series 8. Doug says it 'made real sense to me' that the Captain should have really been a doughnut boy if it didn't seem plausible that he would be the captain of a spaceship.

But, for me, there was nothing wrong with the old Hollister. He seemed like a proper, plausible captain. In fact, he was brill. I'd have loved to have seen that version in series 8.

Instead of gurning "Two months in the hole" or something like that...

Perhaps i've been too harsh on S8 over the years and should maybe give it a re-watch. But in my head right now, I remember it as awful :-(

8. Fairfax

Fairfax Catering Officer

I agree with every word of this. The captain in the first two series is plausible and the Donut Boy idea doesn't work at all for me.

9. Almighty_crj

Almighty_crj First Technician

Makes perfect sense - if you consider the line he's only qualified to be Dennis the Doughnut boy.

If Hollister did indeed blackmail his way up, it still doesn't preclude the point that he could indeed be a competent captain. The competent captain we saw in the first two series, even. Basic fake it until you make it.

Hollister could mean if someone finds out he had gained the position by blackmail - the respect of the officers will be lost, they could remove his position and demote him to Doughnut selling. He now faces mutiny.

Red Dwarf seems to run on the principle that the least desirable candidate is the most competent.

Kryten has no rights but is the smartest and the most skilled.
    Lister, who dribbles tea down borrowed shirts, is actually apt at deep space survival (and practically anything if the motivations enough)
    Rimmer, who can't fix a circuit for smeg or tell the difference between ocean and military grey, has now outsmarted two opponents in combat. Three counting the waxworks (He would).
    The ship's psychiatrist has mental problems but the Crew seem to be fine.
    ERRA, the incompetents, still managed to not only survive in deep space but not blow themselves up creating a groinal bomb but made an evolution ray.

10. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

That's the only line in all of Red Dwarf that doesn't sit right with me, and considering the "Feature Length" version of Back in the Red OMITS this line (along with all the Captain's Logs used to link the story together in the episodic version), I've come to the conclusion that he was joking.

11. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

Isn't it a stupid thing to not just admit, but to record this confession on what is possibly going to be used as evidence in a tribunal. Always thought it was odd, and if he isn't joking then it means he's extra stupid.

Personally, I don't like the line because it undermines the character and strips away the notion that the Red Dwarf crew were actually competant, and that Rimmer and Lister were only just scraping by before the accident. The premise works better when it's Rimmer bumbling a repair job and wiping out the only competant characters. Series 8 turned Hollister into an smeghead, and just repeated the one-off slapstick moment of his from Stasis Leak ad nauseum.

It's one of those lines that makes you wonder if it would have been removed if Rob Grant was still around to 'buddy check' such things. There are quite a few instances of this from 7 onwards.

12. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I think that was just Hollister's own private Captain's Log. I doubt he was going to submit the whole thing to a tribunal.

13. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

Surely the whole scene is meant to be reminiscent of Sgt. Pinback's video diary in Dark Star (also an imposter who reveals his true identity to the camera)?

14. longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone

longusernamebecausetheforumwantsone Second Technician

Wow, I've seen (and own!!) Dark Star many times, and it never crossed my mind to draw that conclusion.

If it was an intentional reference, I think it was a poorly chosen one as most people have probably not seen Dark Star.

I guess it's certainly possible.

15. Callisto252

Callisto252 Supply Officer

I think a fair few RD fans must have watched Dark Star, so maybe it was just a little in-joke. I only sought it out because of the Red Dwarf connection, but ended up enjoying it on its own merits. Quite a quirky film where not much seems to happen, but I kind of like that!