Despair Squid Got Me

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Laporbo, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

It's true that Kochanski wasn't that funny. However I felt she still worked when bouncing off the other funny actors, if only to give them material to work off. A good example is the exchange between Kochanski and Lister on the Simulant ship. She cracks that awful joke about 'Hu'. Look at Lister's punchline. Funny stuff.

She works in a bit of a different way to Rimmer, it's true. There we have two funny characters bouncing off each other, but I think it still works in a different way.

I think perhaps the main episode where people find Kochanski irritating is Duct Soup, which is a bit of a character piece for her. There are a couple of scenes with just her giving drawn out speeches, moaning and complaining. In hindsight I don't mind it much now, although I remember being a bit irritated at the time. But then, in the tubes, she ends up in a dialogue with Kryten and Lister... and it gets funny again. (Actually in Lister's case it's a form of a wind up where she helps take his mind off of his problems, but ultimately it's his reaction which is funny. And Kryten's "That's one to be filed under...." with the creaky gate gag.)

2. Laporbo

Laporbo Second Technician

Hey! Been awhile since I've been to the forum :-) I guess about 2 years. Time flies. Of course I check the news regularly over the years but didn't have anything to say so didn't come into the forum.

Anywhooo, it looks like I have a couple of pages of responses to my original post to catch up on. Cool!

Good to see some familiar names. I really wish I could remember my reaalllly old login so I could look up more of my old posts. Oh well, probably not much important in there.

Of course, RDX got me back into the forum so I'll go catch up there now.

3. Laporbo

Laporbo Second Technician

And no, I don't know how this got into the RDX section. I just clicked on my post in my profile subscription list and then replied. Figured it would have posted in its original location but maybe that doesn't exist anymore?

4. Seb

Seb Captain Staff Member

Because the RDX discussion started, a year and a half or so ago, in the BTE section, I just renamed it rather than setting up an entirely new one!

NEW BTE-related discussion should now go over to "Classic", and some day (when the forum's a bit quieter) I'll get around to moving all the old threads too - but it's quite a big job so I've not had a chance to do it all yet!

5. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

You didnt laugh at Cat talking about a giant testicle or Craig talking aboiut his time in rehab? Lister insulting the actor who plays him, although hes being played by an actor, craig charles, who is playing a character who is insult him, craig charles... I don't know about you but that mind melter made me laugh. I loved BTE both as a drama/story-line based show as well as a comedy, as I do like it when they delve into the story of RD rather than just standalone episodes that are filled with jokes (which I like too!). I'm easily pleased with dwarf as long as there's no dinosaurs!

6. simulant37

simulant37 Science Officer

The giant testicle bit was horrendous, like something written by a 13 year old! The rest was equally terrible!!!

7. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I wouldn't mind the 'testicle' joke so much if it was used in the episode only once.

8. dodgebizkit

dodgebizkit Deck Sergeant

I loved it for the reaction to it given by lister and rimmer, pluss the stupidity oof cat when you realise what he'd meant.