RDXI Did anyone prefer Series X over Series XI?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF XI / XII' started by Chris D, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

So, I've seen a fair few negative nancies speak out via Facebook comments etc. with some feedback on their feelings about the first episode of XII.

There were a number of people commenting that Series X was bad and Series XI as even worse.

This surprises me. Aside from the fact that I have enjoyed every series of RD in different ways and watch it regularly (though some series more than others...) I can't understand someone disliking Series XI more than X. It felt like a return to form to me and for the most part I feel that people here have echoed this.

But that said, did anyone prefer Series X over Series XI?

Paul Taylor and Abe like this.
  2. Slainmonkey

Slainmonkey Deck Sergeant

Series X was far weaker then XI, which while not perfect was the best it's been in over 20 years. I guess people are entitled to their opinions but I really can't agree with them.

3. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Nah, I liked XI better myself, though X was no slouch either.

4. AJ Smegface

AJ Smegface Second Technician

I really like X. I feel there's a different kind of atmosphere in each series of Red Dwarf (I-XI) and though X may not be traditionally like classic Dwarf, there's something about it which works for me.

Personally, I do kind of prefer X to XI... but no episode in X is as good as Give & Take or Officer Rimmer IMO.

Abe likes this.
  5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I loved them both, but it's season XI that made the greater impression and for the first time since season XI actually felt like Red Dwarf to me. It's certainly the season I'm more likely to want to rewatch in the future.

Abe and BigOleDummy like this.
  6. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I prefer X to XI/XII, although I'm also glad to have XI/XII.

Abe likes this.
  7. Chris D

Chris D Engineer

Interesting. In my mind that's as bizarre as someone who prefers VIII over some of the classics.

Where do you rank all of the series, btw?

What is it you preferred about X over XI (I'm personally reserving judgement on XII so far).

8. Presuming Ken

Presuming Ken Deck Sergeant

I preffered X over XI.

My fave series are 1,2,4 and 10 but I especially like the early stuff when the show started. For me series 10 was much more like those earlier series whilst 11 seemed more like series 6 to me. Don't get me wrong, both are great but I guess I just prefer the 'all alone on a spaceship' stuff as opposed to the villain of the week type stuff.

It's telling that my least fave ep of 10 is The Beginning as most people seem to pick that as their fave. Again that episode seemed much more like 6 to me.

Swap The Beginning for Officer Rimmer and I'd be well happy! :-)

Paul Taylor and Chris D like this.
  9. wavesd

wavesd Third Technician

For me X was a really good return - I vary on how I feel about VII and VIII, but I thought X was great and (to answer your question!) XI and XII seem to be of similar great Dwarf quality - I think X, XI, and XII fit in nicely with the overall quality of I - VI.

As an addendum, I wonder if XI and XII are achieving what was tried with VII to wit a cinematic quality - XI and XII look really good.

(P.S. I do like VII and VIII now, but I was just not so sure for a while.)

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Supply Officer

Series X is well written, but it looks very cheap. XI is well written too, but it has also lot of guests, guest locations, better special effects. There are some mistakes in XI, such as ending of Officer Rimmer, but in finale, it looks more like original Dwarf than X. It also has more new sci-fi ideas.

11. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

I thought X was utterly horrendous when I first saw it. I've warmed to it more now, but much prefer XI. Nothing in X comes close to Samsara, Give & Take, or Officer Rimmer.

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Series 10 was very good, very solid but it was an impression of series 1-6 Red Dwarf whereas series 11 felt more authentic. So yes while I do find series 10 very enjoyable I chose series 11 ahead of it all the time and Give and Take is the very finest episode since series 6!

13. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

I just thought X was better put together. XI and XII have good moments, but also some oddities and weird choices (or uneven pacing) that make them feel slightly unfinished. Almost like demo tapes of episodes?

14. Goit_84

Goit_84 First Technician

The editing and pacing of the X episodes is much better, the lighting is better in XI and XII. Apart from that they're similar.

They're all better than most of 7 and all of 8-9 but nowhere near as good as 1-6. Same old story there.

15. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

I prefer X. It looks better, and it doesn't suffer from the abrupt endings that plagued XI. While I thought Lemons and Dear Dave were dire, I thought The Beginning was spectacular. There was a hint of an ongoing plot with the vague search for Kochanski, which I appreciated. XI does seem messy by comparison.

X
    Good: The Beginning / Fathers & Suns
    Okay: Entangled / Trojan
    Bad: Lemons / Dear Dave

XI
    Good: Give & Take / Officer Rimmer
    Okay: Krysis
    Bad: Twentica / Can of Worms / Samsara

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  16. Slainmonkey

Pacing honestly is for me the only thing series X did better (well with exception of Dear Dave which feels as stitched together as it is) but when it comes to joke qaulity, ambition, atmosphere, and just straight up feeling like Red Dwarf, series XI has it all over series X to me.

17. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

Series XI any day for me.

Series X is probably my second least favourite series of the show (beating only the heinous BTE). I didn't hate it however, I just found it pretty meh. It had some great episodes like Entangled and Fathers And Suns, and The Beginning and Lemons were ok, but I really didn't like Trojan or Dear Dave, I found those episodes completely dull (especially Dear Dave).

Series XI on the other hand was full of episodes that I'd consider just as good as Entangled. Such as Give And Take, Officer Rimmer, and Twentica. Krysis wasn't too bad. Samsara was slightly weaker IMO, and Can Of Worms I am actually struggling to remember. But even the weaker episodes of XI were miles better than Trojan or Dear Dave IMO.

The Cat likes this.
  18. Slainmonkey

Huh.....I thought I was the only person who really disliked Trojan, good to know!

19. Jarvio

Jarvio Second Technician

I found it a very boring episode. Better than BTE, but, as someone who hated BTE, after I watched Trojan I was not convinced the show was "back" in my eyes. Then I saw Fathers And Suns, really liked it, and thought "yes it IS back" :-D

But a small note, I think Dear Dave is even worse than Trojan. That episode felt like it had no plot. A sub-plot of Kryten with toilet roll, really?

20. Slainmonkey

Trojan all felt really forced and I feel had quite a bit of series 8 broadness......I mean it was still better then most of 8 but I still felt like "This isn't the show I feel in love with". Fathers and Suns might have had some issues (mainly the Medibot and the vending machines) but I feel the 2 main plots tied together fantastically, it was definitely a much smarter and more inventive episode honestly.

Dear Dave was kinda doomed from the start, it was a Frankenstein's monster of the episode that felt more like a Red Dwarf sketch show at times. I mean it might be the episode were production problems were blatantly obvious from the stitched together nature, the half baked ideas, the uncomfortable use of the word "slag", and the jarring use of green screens. I mean while I excuse it because of the behind the scenes issues, it really doesn't make it an enjoyable watch.