Didn't Red Dwarf take place in 21st/23rd century?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Elwood, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

Prior to the Radiation leak, and if this was/is the case, surely 21st century earth should be far more technological than it is now a days? Or am I just over complicating things, and should I just file it under the many unexplained, but loveable plot holes? :-p

2. connell

connell First Technician

Red Dwarf (Before Series 4) Prior to the radiation leak was set around the year 2070 (The Year Given on the clock in the bathroom in Stasis Leak is 2077 and that was 3 weeks before the crew got wiped out, so according to Red Dwarf things should be getting space-technical even more pretty soon.

Now heres my nerdy defenition of some unecisarry crap I tell everyone I know about the time Red Dwarf is set it (Im probably not even right) :-D

As I mentioned before, After series 4, the series claimed Lister came from the 23rd Century, meaning it was set around 2277, then 3,000,000 years later (3,002,277) lister is revived, and the show was then set about 7 Years up until series 6 (3,002,283) then Lister went into deep sleep for 300 years (3,002,583) then it went for about a year and the 18 months Kochanski was pregnant, so that about 2 years (Roughly 3,002,585) then another 2 years up until Only the Good (3,002,587) then 9 years later were in Back to Earth (3,002,596) meaning Back to Earth (Before they get Back to Earth in the 21st Century) are set in the year Three Millon, Two Thousand, Five Hundred and Nintey-Six, or there about! :lol:

3. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

?!?!?!?!?!?!

I know Kochaski probably does everything twice as effectively as most other women, but taking a year and a half to gestate a baby is a little extreme! Even elephants don't spend that long pregnant! I think you mean 40 weeks!

4. connell

connell First Technician

Thats the one! :-D

Slight technical error in the brain just there!

5. HelenW

HelenW First Technician

But in Series 8 Lister says he's been in space for 5/6 years. Oh, I'm confused! :?

6. connell

connell First Technician

Bugger, :lol: urmm, right then, cutting on a hunk of time for Kochanski's pregnancy, and a couple of years from there adventures, the show should be set roughly around 3,002,590 (Three Million, Two Thousand, Five Hundred and Nintey)

I say roughly because unless someone goes back and evaluates all the references to the time zones set in it, I have no idea how to be certain. :-D

7. Smegerama

Smegerama Supply Officer

But Kochanski wasn't pregnant, it was in Invitro Tube!

Still, very incosistant timeline. I forget what time it took place in the books.

And remember, Lister was nine months old when they put him under the pool table, plus the nine months before he was born.

8. Guitar

Guitar Third Technician

But dont forget that anything before timeslides could be different after it. At the end Rimmer was alive instead a hologram, so anything else could have changed, including the timelines up till then.

9. acerimmer_165

acerimmer_165 Supply Officer

All in all, in my opinion, as a very detailed summary of all that has been said, Grant Naylor didn't give a damn about continuity :lol: