Director's Cut on Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by gem5ie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

I am really looking forward to seeing the Director's Cut of Back to Earth for the first time on Saturday. However, I've just seen it advertised on Dave as (paraphrase) "Back to Earth shown the way it was meant to be", and if that's actually true then I am vaguely wondering what stopped them broadcasting it in that format in the first place??

2. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

Shows were commissioned for four slots over the bank holiday weekend. By the time it was clear that a) we were making three episodes rather than two (dropping Unplugged, keeping the documentary), b) that Doug had written one long story rather than three linked episodes, and c) that the best version actually ran slightly shorter than the slots allocated for three episodes it was too late. The schedule was locked, the advertising sold, the legal paperwork clear on what everybody had to deliver and broadcast.

The Director's Cut is the best version of Back to Earth, no question. But it's not quite what everyone signed up for!

3. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

Agreed the directors cut is better than the three separately. It is the way I usually watch it on the DVD.

4. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Well, since lack of love for Back to Earth is the reason I don't yet have the DVD I am officially on tenterhooks for Saturday!!

Thanks for your reply Andrew, that explains it! :-)

5. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I've said all along. Viewed over three nights as broadcast didn't work and put quite a few people off. The pacing between each of the episodes seemed off and I really think BtE suffered because of it. ( IMO )

But, watched as a single entity, it just works. Very different from the TV series though. A lot more emotional....reminded me of the Ouroboros episode. The pacing for the Directors Cut is just spot on. The humour comes when it needs to and the more emotional scenes are a joy to watch. I think there would be a few less BtE haters had they seen it this way first time around. I just hope these haters and dislikers give it another go...

Also, it'll be interesting to see if the ad-breaks interrupt the pacing of the DVD version in any way... :?

6. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

I'm so pleased they're finally showing the directors cut, as mentioned above it really does work so much better as a single piece. The editting is a lot sharper in places too (though i still would have liked to see some extra scenes added, as unrealistic as that may be given the circumstances) One positive i took from the way they showed the episode originally was the excitement the weekend created. It had a real event feel to it. And this place was buzzing too, when it didn't break down from all the activity (i was still a "lurker" back then, but was here in spirit) But the directors cut is definitively how i will always watch it in future.

I have to say for an anniversary special i really do feel BTE is pretty special indeed. I love it in fact...so there :P lol. However, series "X" ( :? if you say so Dave..:lol: )is gonna' kick so much more bottom. I can feel it in my bones.

Seriously though, i do actually have faith in Doug to deliver with this next series, if the certain full series esq elements of BTE are anything to go by. BTE in my opinion - if accepted for what it is, is quite a great experience, much much so in the directors cut version.

*I do in all seriousness understand Dave's logic in naming the series "Red Dwarf X", but lets not kid ourselves here, BTE is not a series, but rather a one-off feature length Anniversary special.*

7. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Hopefully it will get good ratings.

8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I already have Back To Earth on DVD, but if I'm at home and fully awake I might watch this just for the hell of it. As mentioned above it'll be interesting to see if the ad breaks affect it in any way. It'll also be interesting to see if my overall opinion of Back To Earth has begun to change or has remained more or less consistent.

9. Stephen

Stephen Console Officer

I always like watching RD on tele :-D Feels like how it was nearly 20 years ago :-D

10. SoundableObject

Except with adverts ;-)

Small price to pay, mind.

11. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its nice to know red dwarf gets a much deserved regular showing on dave, although they seem to show series 3 and 4 alot and i cant remember the last time i see series 5 on dave, apart from 1 episode which was back to reality in easter 2009 as part of the back to earth showing

and as for directors cut well it works better as a full story but i still tend to find the middle abit boring

12. SoundableObject

What?!? BTE Part 2 is the best part of it!

13. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

meh, the crew looking at the dvd covers is to me a very terrible scene, and also the kids on the bus scene annoys me, so i cant really enjoy part 2 and find it slow

thats just my appinion

14. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

That was one of my favourite scenes. In fact, I'd go as far to say that boy deserved an oscar!! :-)

15. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Yes, it's the same for me. As I've said before, when I was watching the bus scene with the two children I thought, 'This is about as far from feeling like Red Dwarf that the show has ever felt to me.' It felt ten times less like Red Dwarf than any episode from series 7 or 8 did.

Had I been unaware of Back To Earth and happened to tune in at that point I'd have thought I was watching another TV series.

16. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The kids on the bus scene is for me one of the most genius scenes that the show has ever employed. It's brillantly done. The motiff of "two kids" is one that is resonant throughout Lister's whole subconsious and indeed the series as a whole. His twin babies, his desire for Jim and Bexley and his "plan"...who better to act as the voice reminding him of just who he is than a symbolic iteration of these two longed for children. And remind them they do, just as Lister is reaching his lowest point they pop up to remind him that he's pretty cool, which leads to some fantastically dramatic repetition by angry Lister during the creator scene ("I was never alone...") and that heart in mouth, tearjerking line delivered with aplomb before his walk into the woods at the show's climax. (Nah...I'm pretty cool..")

So the ginger kid overacted...So what?

17. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I agree that BTE works somewhat better as a single episode...

At the very start, for example, we have...

The camera slowly moving into the ship (which would have been fine on its own)...
    Then the slow pan across with Lister walking...
    Then the slow early Lister/Rimmer/Skutter scenes...

Even in the full-length version I think these scenes aren't funny enough but in the 22 minute broadcast version they killed the first 5th of the show.

The last time I watched BTE to see if my opinions had changed I realised how much I hate Cat's character in it. Not just dislike but actually hate which I wouldn't have said about any of the main characters before. At least in the director's cut some lines have been cut though including the painful 'monkey boy' exchange with Lister.

18. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

you thought way to much about this :shock:

19. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I'll admit I didn't see all that in that scene, but I did like it. And I often dislike kiddie scenes in films/tele.

It is interesting how scenes polarise viewers. I disliked the slapstick stuff at the end, but many loved that! On the other hand some dislike the 'trying to catch a breeze' bit from Lister which I found hilarious. Many dislike the Corrie stuff. I liked it. Many liked Rimmer dancing to easy listening music, me, not so much.

Are there any scenes in BtE which wich are liked/disliked universally by viewers?

20. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

The bit where they are preparing for "landing" in carbug seems to be pretty much universally panned...largely because of the misassumption among many fans that the crew are somehow being portrayed as if they don't know what a car is...when it seems patantly obvious to me that they are just messing about...Lister even stops to think whistfully about "burning cars" right after this scene so I'm not sure why so many people seem to think it has retconned the memory of cars from the Dwarfers's universe.