Director's Cut on Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by gem5ie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

I hated the slapstick originally for being too stupid and unfunny. It was only when the commentary or making of (i forget which) explained that this is Lister's humour in play that we are seeing here that I changed my opinion. It is still unfunny and stupid....but it is in keeping with the character.

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Ah, yes I wasn't keen on that either. I came to the same conclusion as you, that they were mucking about, but I didn't find it all that funny.

3. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

its a far distant sense of humour to 1-6 or even 7 and 8, well... sorta 8

i hope doug was just rusty when he wrote BTE

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

And it's much more interesting to read than someone simply stating, "I liked it" or "I didn't like it."

5. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

...Or perhaps you just didn't think about it enough. .:P

6. Andrew

Andrew Executive Officer

I don;t believe that is remotely true. (Series I, in particular, is big on that "present day viewed through ignorance/misunderstanding of future.)

7. Paul Taylor

Paul Taylor Console Officer

This is the most insightful explanation of the structure of Back To Earth I've read. I may actually watch it with a better appreciation now. :shock:

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

I didn't realise I was considering it from a new angle to be honest. I assumed that the use of two children talking to Lister as the voice of his subconscious was a deliberate choice rather than, say, some adult red Dwarf fan chatting to him on the bus. It seemed like deliberate symbolism. I suppose it could also be that children have a tendency to look at the world without the cynicism and bitterness forged by adult experience. Sometimes by viewing the world as a child we can find truths that our adult selves don't wish to ackowledge but which are still truths; simple ones that we've blocked out or hidden away.

Also, the tin foil family on the bed at the end...two kids...just saying...:P

9. Freeborn

Freeborn Flight Co-Ordinator

Yeah, what he said :-) I personally saw (or at least interpreted) the scene in both of the above mentioned ways. I think both explanations connect fairly well really. I see a lot of symbolism/Artistic metaphores in Doug's (and Rob's) work within Dwarf.

However, just how much of that is interpreted entirely correctly, and how much is perhaps due to my being an over analyser at times, is not always known for sure :-)

10. Gram1976

Gram1976 Skutter

Directors cut or not, it doesn't change the fact that BTE is the worst ever Red Dwarf, I will never watch it again and I still think everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves for producing such a complete pile of excrement! The show went downhill after season four, the odd good episode but in general they really dropped the ball and have failed to pick it up since. CORONATION ST FFS!!!!! Come on guys, I know your older now but have you no shame?

11. SoundableObject

SoundableObject Catering Officer

Well we know what to get you for Christmas, a double lobotomy and three roles of rubber wallpaper.

12. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

is that you norman lovett?

13. ori-STUDFARM

Whilst I would agree that it does have a very different feel to it that may not appeal to everyone, I would STRONGLY contest that it is the worst Red Dwarf ever. You seemed to have forgotten to include the words "In My Opinion". Stating it as a fact doesn't necessarily make it true.

In my opinion, you are very wrong and they all deserve a pat on the back for doing such a wonderful job under such difficult circumstances ie, time constraints, budget etc...

14. ori-STUDFARM

Also. I would love to hear any other opinions of people watching The Directors Cut for the first time. Did it change your opinion in anyway? Do you still hate it? Did you find you liked it?

15. Paul Taylor

Forgotten?:shock: Doubtful!:lol:

16. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It's not the first time I've seen the Director's Cut, but watching it again slightly improved my overall opinion of Back To Earth, which I've always been disappointed by. I was also struck once again by how cinema-like the episode is. It's how I'd expect Red Dwarf: The Movie to look. The scenes set on Earth still feel nothing like Red Dwarf, but now I'm more familiar with them I don't get the uncomfortable feeling that they once gave me. Still, it felt really nice when the Smeg Ups programme came on straight after. I thought, "Now this is the Red Dwarf I know." But, as mentioned above, they did a great job considering the circumstances, which fills me with a lot of optimism for series 10.

And I'd just like to mention how much I love the vastness of the cargo bay. Unlike other times we saw cargo bays, such as in Polymorph and Pete, the one in Back To Earth really does look gigantic and gives a great impression of the ship's hugeness. I don't know who they employed to create that look, but I hope they get to work on series 10.

17. Paul Taylor

I think a company in Australia did it, if I remember the documentary on the DVD correctly. If I don't, someone here will!:-D They did do a great job of the CGI, although I still think it was the wrong choice for portraying the skutter.

18. gem5ie

gem5ie Catering Officer

Is it really awful that I didn't realise that skutter was CGI until I watched the Making Of doco afterwards? *shame*

I enjoyed the director's cut, on the whole. Definitely better than the 3 part version. Not the best Red Dwarf but it did leave me feeling optimistic about season X. And my housemate laughed!

19. Paul Taylor

Yeah, that CGI skutter was really well done!:-D Very convincing!

20. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

watching it again yesterday i still think the story was wrong and the self referencing jokes ruined it