Director's Cut on Dave

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by gem5ie, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

All the references to previous series, and the addition of things such as the Red Dwarf DVDs, merchandise, Carbug, and Polymorph playing on the shop's TV give the Earth scenes an extra feeling of oddness.

I'll tell you what the Earth scenes of BTE give me the impression of: it's a like a fan-fiction homage to the show written by a bunch of Red Dwarf devotees.

2. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

I agree. I never really got people's dislike of that effect. I wonder if it's just the fact many knew it was CGI before they watched it that biassed peoples' opinions. It seems to me there are many people who dislike CGI just because it is CGI, having persuaded themselves that CGI automatically equals 'smeg' (although some of it is). Truth is, there are good and bad affects in CG just like any other form of modelling. Physical modelling is not exempt from this.

The smoothness of the skutters motion perhaps gives away the fact it is a CG affect, i.e it lacks the limited motion and jerkiness of the physical models. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to have the physical things if they can afford it... but fact is, they couldn't.

As for the self referential stuff, I found it a bit heavy handed, but totally forgiveable. It was meant to be an anniversary episode after all. Imagine what we could have had! An entire episode with the guys trapped in a cargo hold followed by, "Do you remember the time..." cue flashback. We got a new tale at least. It might have been similar to Back To Reality, but the emotional journey was different and provided something new.

3. ori-STUDFARM

ori-STUDFARM Supply Officer

The CGI Skutter is awful. It's too shiney and liquid looking. It doesn't really bother me too much given that budget meant they had to do it that way. But I'd never claim it was well done...

(In mY Opinion of course :-) )

4. Nicko1

Nicko1 First Technician

I agree that it looked poor and the fact that they had to change one bit for the director's cut kind of backs that up.

5. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

It wasn't a convincing-looking skutter, but surely all Red Dwarf fans were just glad to see something familiar. They're as much a part of Red Dwarf history as Starbug, Talkie Toaster and Duane Dibbley.

6. talkie3000

talkie3000 Deck Sergeant

the CGI for the skutter was really well done i dont understand what everyone is expecting

i mean as much as i love the original model skutters, sadly they were stiff and limited in what they could do, but the way the novels described the skutters alone id say with CGI we could get a better understanding of there uses on the ship :-)

7. Cloud

Cloud Console Officer

I thought the CGI Dwarf and corridors looked quite well. But the skutter looked absolutely awful. It doesn't even look like it is there and its motion is too fast and weird. It is very unconvincing.

8. bedfordfalls

bedfordfalls Deck Sergeant

After watching the Director's cut again on TV a few things came to mind.

(1) Adverts still ruin the flow of this...just as seperating it into 3 parts did in the first screening.

(2) Lister's "supply line pipe thingy" is the worst line in the show. Doug, please don't write Lister as if he is Fry from Futurama. This line would have been better given to Cat. Lister was written like this on more than one occasion in season eight and it felt jarring and uncomfortable then too...he may never have been the smartest guy on the block but he had never been outright thick and one has always got the impression that he's lazy rather than stupid.