Distance

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by BigOleDummy, Feb 11, 2017.

1. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

Has any mathematician's among Red Dwarf's fandom ever figured out an approximate Distance for the Ship? We know the Time (approx.) its taken , 3 million years. We have to assume a constant acceleration because we see them break the speed of light ,"Future Echo's" of course, so its taken them 3 million years to accelerate to the speed of light ,186,282 miles per second,. We would have to make some educated assumptions i.e , starting speed, Trajectories etc. but seems to me like this is a "solvable" equation for distance. At least for a ballpark figure of course. Way beyond my skill's though :lol:

2. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I asked a similar question before you arrived on the forum, but mine was based on working out if Lister is actually to scale when we see him painting the F of the ship's name during the opening credits. I can't remember what conclusions we came to.

As for your own poser, we would first need to know RD's cruising speed before we could offer even a ball-park figure, but I don't think this is ever divulged. Judging by some of the remarks from the crew during certain episodes, I'd say about 24 mph, but that's just a guess.

3. Dismembers

Dismembers Deck Sergeant

Here's a question, why do we (I do it too) assume the man painting the ship during the opening credits of the first two series is Lister?

4. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I think it's an assumption we make based on the fact that it quite clearly IS Lister :-D

5. Mardroid

Mardroid Console Officer

Yes, you can see Craig Charles eyes through the helmet.

I confess I didn't notice that to start with.

6. Strat-tastic

Strat-tastic Flight Co-Ordinator

I did a calc once about Lister, it's on here somewhere.

As for the distance, also there is a cal here I did, but basically assuming zero starting velocity, travelling in a straight line at constant acceleration, the distance would be 1,500,000 light years when light speed was attained.

7. Abe but more Halloween themed

Abe but more Halloween themed Deck Sergeant

That would mean that they'd cover the equivalent of a third of the distance from Jupiter to Pluto's orbit in three million years if properly maintained at this speed (they were only going faster because Holly allowed them to for the safety of others in the solar system is my conclusion), which I'd find unlikely.

8. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

Lister was in stasis for exactly 2976160 years. All references to three million years have been approximate.