Do you have this on your side of the pond?

Discussion in 'THE AIGBURTH ARMS' started by BigOleDummy, Sep 22, 2017.

1. neilold

neilold Flight Co-Ordinator

Lol, we love your monty python, not to clichéd American! But I kid, perhaps your right. We are similar in so many ways bar our language I do love john cleese, but, like the beetles, he's probably slightly more regarded over yours than here. As great as he is, he's pretty much made a lot of crap since the mid eighties.

I in turn love the south of America. I love the unhealthiness of a lot of their food, and as a hillbilly horror fan I'd love to visit the heart of chainsaw massacre, deliverance, southern comfort and wrong turn land

2. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Deck Sergeant

Planet Express Hdg, N. America , Earth, Sol System
    Well, as someone has spent a LOT of time there (and whose entire family lives in Kentucky. I spent a significant part of my growing up years there), your romanticism would be sorely pressed when the first time you stopped to get some of that (very tasty)unhealthy food you were called a faggot or queer because of your accent/dress. Told to go "home" because you dared to say it was too humid. Had a beer bottle (full , cap on) thrown at you by a passing car "for fun", etc., etc. All things that has personally happened to me btw.

3. neilold

Yeah, but that's kinda the stuff I like about it. I know as a limey, I'd get it a lot more than even out of towners, but that's kinda the appeal. Besides it's more stereotype than anything. What about the legendary southern hospitality, plus I'd love to go to Gracelands and pay my respects to the king to

4. BigOleDummy

Don't you believe that for one second! Did I just not say that I've LIVED IN THE SOUTH for most of my life? I've spent years and years living with these "stereotypes" as you call them. Hell , even now I live 300 yards from Kentucky. (pull up a map and see where Jeffersonville Indiana is.) Those "good ole boys" can and WILL pull out a pistol at a seconds notice and not give a f*** about what happens next. They can and will, smash a beer bottle on your face for smiling at them. "Southern Hospitality" died a long time ago. At least the genuine article.

On the other hand, yes I've been to Graceland and its very cool in a "Nouveau riche" kind of way. The hall of Golden Records is worth the whole visit. Its much much smaller than you anticipate also.

5. BigOleDummy

Here's something. I went to the Dollar store the day before yesterday and they ALREADY have xmas things for sale! Yesterday I got xmas STICKERS in the mail from a charity I sometimes donate to. Have your all's retail stores started selling xmas things yet? I think its insane myself....... its not even close to Halloween yet for goodness sake!

6. neilold

We've had Xmas stuff on sale over here for a few weeks now. There's an old joke in this country that goes 'how can you tell when it's easter? .....Because there's Christmas stuff in the shops'

BigOleDummy likes this.
  7. BigOleDummy

[​IMG]
    Its too freaking earlier for x-mas stuff!

8. neilold

That looks like the bit in planes trains and automobiles, when he's remembering some of the stuff that's happened to him and john candy

BigOleDummy likes this.
  9. BigOleDummy

My favorite movie of his, possibly excepting The Jerk.

10. neilold

I like in the jerk when the woman on the motorbike says 'go like that' and thrusts her hips, Steve Martin does it and she says 'you'll do'

11. BigOleDummy

"Ah... It's a profit deal." As an ex-carny this line make's me roll on the floor! I do wish Carnies weren't so stereotyped though. Seems like they are one of the last "groups" that its ok to make fun of. We are NOT all stupid, or toothless or child molesters etc.

12. neilold

No you are violent grifters though.:-)

13. BigOleDummy

Just stay outta our way when we're on official clown business ....................
    [​IMG]

14. neilold

I presume that's the national flag of the south then??