Do you like Cat?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

It's a cool idea, the cat-people evolving while Lister was in stasis and they think Lister is God. But after the idea was laid out in Waiting For God, nothing else really happened. And we've got this bloke with fangs and colourful outfits who says "ooww". When I started watching Red Dwarf as a kid, I remember being under the impression Cat was a vampire at first.

We don't really get anything from Cat, character-wise. Lister and Rimmer both bring all sorts of issues from their pasts, their familial and romantic relationships and things like that. Cat is a blank slate. In XI series, we've had two Cat episodes. Because there's not a lot there to work with. The first is the origin of the cat-people, then ten series later we get an episode where he get impregnanted by a Polymorph.

We know he was born on Red Dwarf to the Cripple and the Idiot (we don't know which was which). We don't know if he had siblings, or cousins, or any other relations. The crew have never asked, at least not on-camera. We know he is a virgin, but we don't really know why. Was he a virgin for the normal reasons people are virgins in normal society? Or is it because he never actually met a cat woman? It's convenient that his libido so easily transfers to human women. Were the Cripple and the Idiot and the Priest the only three left behind? And the Cripple and the Idiot had Cat as their only child, but then died before having any more, thus leaving him to be raised by the priest? I think he mentioned being an orphan in Samsara.

Cats are associated with being intelligent, not stupid. But this Cat is stupid because his parents were stupid. Well, one of them was stupid. Being a cripple doesn't mean you're stupid. Actually, neither does having one stupid parent. Why's he so stupid.

How come in XI series we've never seen or heard anything about the cat-people? Surely they'd have made an impression on all the GELFs and robots knocking around. There's a whole species out there somewhere, but it's like they were only invented conceptually so that we could have Cat as a Red Dwarf crew-member, and we're not supposed to factor them in plot-wise. Unless there's an episode where a Polymorph disguises itself as one, then we're supposed to remember that they're ostensibly still out there.

2. jmc2000

jmc2000 Deck Sergeant

The cripple was the one who didn't walk much and the idiot was the stupid one.

3. Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century

Deep_Space_in_the_15th_Century Supply Officer

And your definition of dog is?

4. smegrightoff

smegrightoff Third Technician

They were both cripples after the idiot ate his own feet.

5. BigOleDummy

BigOleDummy Guest

Well, yeah, I like Cat myself. I'm not really sure that Cat is stupid, I mean he can use a Bazookoid and fly the spacecraft after all. Not to mention working the food machines (Fish! Fish! Fish!...) He's mind numbingly VAIN and superficial (as even he admits) and like almost every cat I've ever been in contact with cares about nothing but HIS needs/wants but stupid? Not so sure on that. To me he adds an element of absurdity to the show and I kinda like that.

6. OurJud

OurJud Deck Sergeant

I like Cat, but I think he's been developed too much. There's a very noticeable change in him at the start of series III - or that is to say in the relationship between him and Lister. Series III sees an immediate change in Lister's attitude towards him, as it goes from a very warm and friendly 'he's-still-my-pet-cat' (or at least a very distant relative), to finding his vanity and selfishness irritating.

I suppose it's only right and proper that this would happen eventually, but it's very noticeable and I'm not sure I didn't prefer Series I and II Cat.

7. RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle Second Technician

Oh the irony here.

Anyway, seeing as the Cat himself said he had no education, that goes a long way to explain why he doesn't know stuff. But as BigOleDummy said, he can do more complicated tasks when taught properly.