Do you listen to the audio commentaries?

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by Elwood, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Elwood

Elwood First Technician

So who here listens to the Red Dwarf Commentaries for each episode? I do as they can be quite humorous most of time, while other commentaries on other shows "I.E lost" seem so bland. But yeah, do you listen to them or not? Are they one of many DVD features you skip right over?

2. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I've listened to every one that's appeared on the DVDs.

The Doug Naylor/Ed Bye ones and the Doug Naylor/Rob Grant ones on Bodysnatcher are my favourites. They're great.

The cast commentaries are good, but I haven't listened to them more than once.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam First Technician

I'll listen to them sometimes. Usually I turn them on and half-listen to them in the background while doing something else but that's just the result of my gnat-like attention span.

4. aceduder

aceduder Catering Officer

I have never listened to the commentaries!
    This is not to say I dont want to know what they have to say, I just want to watch the episodes!
    What I have done with other DVD's though (hint hint!) is some of them have the commentaries (I'm talking about things like Futurama etc) have the commentaries as a subtitle option, this way you can 'hear' what the cast/crew etc have to say about the episode and still enjoy watching it at the same time!

5. Supposedly

Supposedly Skutter

Not a big problem if you're watching them with the cast commentaries on, as they sometimes forget that they're supposed to be talking, not just watching the episodes. :-D

6. connell

connell First Technician

I've listened to just about all of 'em. I love them, theyre really well done.

7. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

I love the commentaries! They're usually at least as funny as the episodes. In fact, I'm half way through the Holoship one right now, just stopped for a minute. I've been watching through the series leading up to BTE, and decided that I'd listen to the commentaries as well. To anyone who hasn't listened to them, you're missing out on a lot of fun! :-D

8. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Tottaly agree, it does seem like they forget what they are doing, though the commentaries are good fun and you can sometimes catch the odd interesting fact, in between the cast having a laugh.

Have to say I love the Rincewind quote, Ilinga.:-D

9. Windfola

Windfola Third Technician

Rincewind and Rimmer are my two all time favourite characters. The poor pathetic boys. :-)

10. adorabelle

adorabelle Console Officer

Yeah, Rincewind is my favourite from Discworld, though Nanny Ogg comes a close second (I called my cat Greebo in her honour!:-(wink:

Hem, hem, anyway, this is a Red Dwarf Forum so back to the topic in hand. :eek:ops: Sorry

11. EternusNex

EternusNex Third Technician

You have to watch the Red Dwarf DVDs with the commentaries on, its almost like a behind the scenes documentary sometimes

Like in Series VII after Stoke Me A Clipper. Chris Barrie stays and gives his views about the episodes he isnt in.

Or when Hattie and Robert started in III the question was asked
    "How did you feel joining a highly skilled group of professional actors?"
    Answer
    "When was that then?"

Clearly i do that too much

12. Keir_FTGL_Shiels

Keir_FTGL_Shiels Catering Officer

I've enjoyed all the commentaries. You get more insight into what the cast remember from the episode than from the documentaries, although they do overlap.

One of the highlights of my life is doing the gunmen commentary. I'm sure that Captain will agree it was a great day. Hopefully the five of us babbling away produced something worth listening to

13. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Catering Officer

Because I was never a fan of series 7 and 8, I bought the DVDs on release to complete my set, watched the episodes (to see if they really was that bad) then shelved them, never to see the light of day again; until today! Thought I would watch Only the good, just incase there is some kind of tie in with the new shows.

Anyway, slightly off topic, I didn't realise the Red Dwarf comedy connections is amongst the extras :-) Ill give that a watch! :-)(the commentaries are extras, so its sort of on topic)

14. scottishsuzee

scottishsuzee Third Technician

Because i had seen the episodes so much i usually put on the commentary when i first get the dvds. The can be quite funny in places and quite interesting too.

15. peas_and_korn

peas_and_korn First Technician

I always watch commentaries, they're pretty good

16. dvd3500

dvd3500 Catering Officer

Always. The line of work I am in has many parallels to movie and TV show production and I find it fascinatin how some of the most successful shows and movies often never almost were...
    err...
    I mean, they were almost never made because "the man in the know" didn't like it...

17. GTaDave

GTaDave Catering Officer

Driving an Italia Gagliano, The Grizzly Circuit, M
    I reckon there is probably several extras on the dvds that I have not listened to or looked at, The Easter eggs are one, and so are the commentaries. I think I listened to one cast commentary, but I dont remember which one, although I do remember Rob was commentating.

18. hubbard

hubbard Deck Sergeant

I always listen to the commentries, ALWAYS :-) with films and RD :-)
    I think they are great most of the time, some can be crappy but some can be so good. Big Trouble in Little China's comm is fantastic, Peep Show with Mitchell n Webb, Predator 2, The Simpsons, Goonies etc... there are lots.

RD's comms are great, shame series 5 misses Craig as he is one of the funniest on the tracks.

19. Squizz

Squizz Guest

I've watched, well listened to them all a lot, I love them, it's double the dvd for your money, I miss Craig on the series 5 ones, but there's the bonus of the three other Craigs that appeared that day.:lol:

20. Tex_Rimmer

Tex_Rimmer First Technician

Some of the best cast commentaries I've ever heard are those for Red Dwarf, and for Get Smart. The Red Dwarf ones are a party. The cast watch the show, and laugh at their own jokes. The Get Smart ones have stars who come well primed with interesting facts, trivia and reminisces to talk about.

By contrast, the worst cast commentaries I've ever seen are those for That Girl. They all feature Marlo Thomas and one of the show's creators (not the other, even though he's alive). Marlo seems to remember almost nothing about the show. Persky seems to remember more but is unwilling to upstage her, and so the commentaries feature LONG periods of silence, interrupted by the most trivial of observations ("Oh, get a load of that outfit"). Marlo fails to recognize people who had bigger careers than she did, and even took 5 minutes to remember McLean Stevenson's name. (When we saw the episode that her dad and sister appeared in, we were taking bets on whether she'd recognize them.) If you made a show so long ago that you don't remember it, you really ought to watch it once before trying to comment on it, to come in fresh, and have either fans or your research department hand you a list of talking points.